MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
thebujster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Buying used truck, mechanic in Cypress area able to look it over?

Anyone know any good reliable honest car mechanics in the cypress area that can do a good job of checking out a potential used truck I'm thinking of purchasing?

Last time I paid 100$ to a mechanic for a similar service they told me to come back in 30minutes and basically just "eyeballed" everything -_- and that was it.
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to hire a Concrete/pumper truck in Cypress area? Petro Off Topic 18 07-02-2015 08:48 AM
MS3 Mechanic Near 249/Spring Cypress specterunseen Car Forum 1 03-29-2012 11:39 AM
Truck stolen Cypress 290 and spring cypress area Drewston General Discussion (Moto Related) 91 03-17-2009 03:03 PM
tow truck for spring cypress area blends General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-30-2008 02:22 PM
Auto (truck) mechanic question train460 How To's and Q & A's 24 01-09-2007 11:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

I think it's called idb racing or something to that manner ,if someone else cares to correct me pls . He's on 1960 and jones area I believe

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Guys name is will and he's had a lot of good reviews on here and I think he's a site sponsor if I'm not mistaken

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

yes wil at IDB is good people. He is a sponsor on here. His shop is just east of jones on 1960.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Steve - check with Wil at IDB. He thoroughly checked out the Mercedes I found online. He didn't just eyeball it. He plugged into the computer, looked for specific issues, etc.

I comitted to buy based on his report, drove into town, bought it, and have had zero issues.

http://www.idbracing.com
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
TAMZX10

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 Zx10r (street)
2010 R1 (Sold)
2009 Zx6r (Track)
2001 zrx1200r
2007 crf50f pitbike

what are ya potentially picking up steveee? you going down to spring too today?
TAMZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

For a potential vehicle purchase inspection there are two tests im looking for specificially (and so should others) the cylinder compression AND leak down test, and of course the results so you can compare them to what the manufacturer's acceptable limits are.

This will give you the best idea of what condition the engine is in over-all and after that your own visual inspection will clue you into what condition the rest is.

a test drive will give you an idea of what condition the transmission is in.

Thats the best way to spend your $100 for an inspection, the mechanic who just "looked it over" is nuts

also with the tools in hand these can be done on site. or at the shop.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Be sure to let him(Wil at IDB) know you are from MH, otherwise he will lose interest in the job when it's not a ferrari
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Be sure to let him(Wil at IDB) know you are from MH, otherwise he will lose interest in the job when it's not a ferrari
THAT'S not true. however, if you call and want immediate service on a Versa with over the phone diagnostics you might just be dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicious View Post
All you had to do was say that you're on MH; additionally, I wasn't holding back laughter when you called. We DO primarily work on high-end, European, and exotic cars - but I still do my best to take care of MH'ers as good as I can, both on pricing and quality of service.

I have multiple calls on a daily basis of people wanting me to diagnose a misfire on their '87 Cadillac, fix the aftermarket stereo on their Kia that they just had an audio shop install, or - in your case - ask me about a suspension issue on a relatively new Nissan. Without any heads up that you're a MH'er (which, I'm fairly certain it says in my sponsor forum to mention that you're a MH member), or even a mention of a referral, I typically turn those sorts of jobs away....not because I'm 'above' working on those cars (I'm not - and I even offer discounts for MH), but because my workload is 2-3 weeks out on any major repairs or diagnostics, and the folks that call in with 'My 2013 Nissan is making a suspension noise' typically want to bring their car in ASAP and wait on the diagnosis/repair...and that's just not the sort of service that we offer. When someone is calling with a 'non-Euro' car or what have you and I tell them that same thing, their usual response is "Oh, forgot to mention, I'm a MotoHouston member and was referred to you." Even then, occasionally someone will call that has a vehicle that someone other than I will be able to better and more quickly diagnose, and more cheaply repair, and in those cases I'll refer them appropriately (I believe another MH guy called me with a Z, that I referred to the shop around the corner from me that does my alignments and works on primarily nothing but Z's).

I apologize that you got the impression that I was taunting you or holding back laughter - although, browsing the rest of your posts here, it's my guess that's just you shaking your internet to look cool and be funny for your friends, not expecting the guy that you talked to would come back and read this; however, at any rate, should you still be having an issue with the car, I would be more than happy to get you an appointment set up so that I can put the car on the lift and see if the issue is something that I can pinpoint for you - unless you've already gotten it taken care of. Tim Ellis at Ellis Performance isn't too far from here, and although his workload is as backed up as mine sometimes, I believe he's got a few techs working for him and can get quick jobs in and out faster (I'm the only one that turns wrenches here).

BUT, one thing worth mentioning...does your Versa have a solid rear axle like some of the other Nissans? I can't recall whether or not it applied to the Versas or not, but back when I Was working at Nissan I remember replacing quite a few rear axle assemblies because they were toed in or out too much from the factory and it wasn't adjustable...

Wil, will in fact take care of you...if he is too slammed to inspect it today and you're on a strict timeline you could also try Kay's Automotive on the NW side (neighbor of mine's shop at Windfern and Little York).
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Kays does honest work but be prepared to pay, back when i was 17 they charged about $150 to do what I assume was an EGR replacement on an f150, the CEL was showing an EGR Flow insufficient and i think all they had to do was replace the valve which if its the same on my GM just slides off the electrical connector and back on and takes a screw or two to bolt in. (part itself is like 15-20 dollars)

CEL came on w/ in first 30 days of owning that truck. Luckily i've learned a bit more about the vehicles i own since then.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideVinder650 View Post
Kays does honest work but be prepared to pay, back when i was 17 they charged about $150 to do what I assume was an EGR replacement on an f150, the CEL was showing an EGR Flow insufficient and i think all they had to do was replace the valve which if its the same on my GM just slides off the electrical connector and back on and takes a screw or two to bolt in. (part itself is like 15-20 dollars)

CEL came on w/ in first 30 days of owning that truck. Luckily i've learned a bit more about the vehicles i own since then.
i personally don't use "value shops"....but I'm sure he has a flat rate for just doing pre-purchase inspections....just throwing out options for the guy.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
THAT'S not true. however, if you call and want immediate service on a Versa with over the phone diagnostics you might just be dismissed.
And how is that any different than "I have some random used pick-up I'm looking at that I want you to inspect"(Not sure what 'immediate' means, but I am sure it he want's it inspected this week sometime...)?

And LOL at over the phone diagnostics. All I did was describe the issue and I asked him when I could bring it in so he could work it in. I never stressed any urgency.

All I am saying is don't make the same mistake I did and not let him know you are from MH.

Last edited by Flip Flop; 04-27-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

read the part in red at the bottom....and in my experience, if a seller can't give you a day or 2 for a pre-inspection....he doesn't need your money and you don't need the vehicle.

http://idbracing.com/PPI.html
Old 04-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
silverfudge
superfast jellyfish

wow, didnt know IDB actually offered a Pre-Purchase Inspection, good to know
silverfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideVinder650 View Post

That seems pretty reasonable to me.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfudge View Post
wow, didnt know IDB actually offered a Pre-Purchase Inspection, good to know
If I locate another vehicle on the web I want to buy, Wil gets the call. He was VERY thorough and professional. Dude knows his stuff.

I HIGHLY recommend him. The seller even commented to me that Wil did a more thorough inspection than anyone else he had visit his shop.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Wil is da man! Never will another mechanic touch any of my father's or my cars (unless it is a warranty issue or I'm move too far from Houston) again.

He isn't free(unless you come in wearing daisy Dukes and have a lolly pop in your mouth) but his pricing is more than fair.

Wil for Prez!

Advertisement