Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #21
Classax
Objective Observer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
Don't know why they were playing in world superbike and they were in financial trouble
Hero is the one that was and is still pushing WSBk. Unfortunately building 3000 bikes so they could participate when the market seems to show they could only sell about 450 world wide which puts them in Bimota or Confederate territory as a company leaves them with a ton of unpaid suppliers I would imagine. Hero is desperate for world wide exposure and WSBk gets them that, were as SS does not.

Erik's desire to demonstrate his street bike components were good enough to make it in WSBk was misunderstood as a premise. A $65K production bike out there mixing it up with $250K prototypes seemed like a valiant idea but was flawed in that no on cared that it wasn't apples to apples only that they were Dead LAST or DNF every round.

As for the bike itself, the RX blows the doors off the 1125 which was light years ahead of the XB which I happened to love as the xb12r was one of my all time favorite bikes to ride in the wilds of Washington state.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Erik Buell Racing Shut Down blensen Motorcycle Articles 9 04-17-2015 09:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #22
WABFZ1
Old Age Crazy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (sold)
2009 Yamaha FZ1 (deformed)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750

I think it is sad that we here in the USA, cannot design, build, and sell comparable products to what is available from overseas. I have owned a number of BMW cars, and a few Japanese motorcycles, and these are just superb machines. I know there are many others as well.

But if I could find an American Made sport bike with a high revving in line 4; that had great power; handling; brakes; appearance; quality; reputation; racing history; reliability and competitive price - I would own one. Let's see, how many Harleys have these features?

Hats off to Eric Buell for giving it a fantastic try. I am still very unhappy with Harley Davidson for kicking him to the curb.
1982 Kawasaki KZ750
WABFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABFZ1 View Post
I think it is sad that we here in the USA, cannot design, build, and sell comparable products to what is available from overseas. I have owned a number of BMW cars, and a few Japanese motorcycles, and these are just superb machines. I know there are many others as well.

But if I could find an American Made sport bike with a high revving in line 4; that had great power; handling; brakes; appearance; quality; reputation; racing history; reliability and competitive price -

Hats off to Eric Buell for giving it a fantastic try. I am still very unhappy with Harley Davidson for kicking him to the curb.
Unfortunately anything made here in the US is going to have a difficult time on price. The minimum wage for an assembly line worker here in the US is between 8 and 12 times what it is in Italy and Japan. It cost nearly 1/3 the amount to go to school to be an engineer in Germany compared to the US of A.The Germans don't have better more innovative engineers than us, they simply have a culture and economy that produces WAY MORE of them. If you want US made durable goods then it means paying more INITIALLY. Time and time again US companies have proven they can compete with similar or better products over time but we have gotten used to cheap Wal mart experience which is why there are now very few specialty chains for stuff Walmart sells. If you notice, Wal mart used to buy American where possible and carry EVERYTHING. Now the buy anywhere but here and selection continues to dwindle.

It all really sucks! Erik's mistake was poor to non existent marketing. People mistook easy to ride as the bike being soft. I'm a total newb at 6'4 245 pounds plus. A Rossi I shall never be, but plenty of you have seen me walk away from S1krrs 1199's and Zx10s at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSRH and I'm at best a lvl 1 could barely be in lvl 2 rider, to put in another way my best MSRH time on the 636 was a 2:08 with clear track and I was certain I would kill myself going for a PB. On the EBR I have never really tried to push for a PB and I've comfortably been towed in the 1:57's following an instructor through traffic. Never felt like I was riding over my head at all, bike is totally planted. Same track on an 899... 2:13s and I kept feeling I needed to back off because the bike wasn't planted. In other words the RX is a short straights blaster corner parkers dream. They are super easy to work on and the engine is pretty well bullet proof if not physically over revved. The brakes everyone complains about require an adjustment in riding style and are sensitive to front suspension adjustment. Up the compression and slow the rebound to your weight and they go from mushy to really sharp 1 fingers stoppy machines. They are deigned to deliver greater lever feel for trail braking instead outright power. Same with the chassis, the anti squat is designed to PREVENT wheelies and wheel spin. So there is very little drama on acceleration and you have to wring its neck to play hooligan. You better be watching your speed though because it may feel and sound slow but it isn't.

They didn't communicate that to dealers who didn't communicate that to perspective buyers, some didn't know they were back others still think its an HD or that the Helicon is a Rotax product. Neither of which is the case. Net result is poor reception and poor sales. Poor sales mean carrying debt longer which leads to more interest and penalties which drives margins down and prices UP. The reality is its all moot now.

Gone Riding
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #24
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

If they had been in the KTM RC8 price range with a higher spec in the RC8R range I think sales would have been better. Personally, I think it was an attractive bike. I think the $30K+ price tag was their ultimate doom in sales. Granted, they might have just broke even at those prices but, until you get some traction in the sales market, you sometimes have to take one on the chin until you get some momentum going.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #25
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

30K? The Ride Smart was 40 and the RX was only 18 and 5he SX was 15. That's what I mean by poor marketing.

People bitched about lack ABS and TC and rider aids but the bikes were designed not to need them.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
30K? The Ride Smart was 40 and the RX was only 18 and 5he SX was 15. That's what I mean by poor marketing.

People bitched about lack ABS and TC and rider aids but the bikes were designed not to need them.
Well, that's why I said $30K+ as I was sure the exact price and I didn't even know about the cheaper ones cause all you ever read about was the RX
Old 04-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #27
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

The RX is the cheaper one....
Old 04-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #28
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

He took way too long, from the customer and public perception, to get distanced from Harley. He also tried too much too soon. That was his magic, that was also his downfall.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #29
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
The RX is the cheaper one....

Well . I need to learn to read. . Alvin school district
Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #30
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
He took way too long, from the customer and public perception, to get distanced from Harley. He also tried too much too soon. That was his magic, that was also his downfall.
He was still under the impression that a good product would sell itself... Good marketing sells products, Great marketing can sell bad products and bad marketing will eventually kill even great products.

Example Last year they were dead last in world superbike with EXACT same parts in the machines in show rooms, a race preppped ZX10 will cost you another 5K in parts like radiators. The winning RSV4 engine kit is 25K use for the engine. They were in WSBK with stock brakes, there's not a single bike on the grid that runs OEM brakes besides them. If you're going to race and be last because you're testing your stock gear against highly modded bikes costing 4 times as much you have to do a of a job explaining it.

There chief marketing plan was Facebook... Bobby at HSBK called this a year ago, part of me wishes I'd taken his advise.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #31
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Saw a black RX today on BW-8 feeder road. Nice looking bike and sounded good. Classax, was that you? I was in a black F-150 pulling a trailer.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #32
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
Saw a black RX today on BW-8 feeder road. Nice looking bike and sounded good. Classax, was that you? I was in a black F-150 pulling a trailer.
Yes it was... AMAZING machine you were hauling as well!

Advertisement