Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Average Speed Camera

This might need to be moved, but the way I see it this is definitely moto-related!

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1800.asp

Texas DOT to Install Federally Funded Highway Speed Cameras
Despite the opposition of the state legislature, the Texas Department of Transportation proposes a federally funded speed camera test.

Despite the near-unanimous opposition in the state legislature to the use of speed cameras, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is moving forward on a proposal to deploy photo radar on state highways using federal gas tax funds. Legislation awaiting Governor Rick Perry's signature prohibited only municipalities -- like Marble Falls and Rhome -- from installing automated speeding ticket systems. It was silent on the possibility of a state-run system (read legislation).

TxDOT began searching in April for a vendor that, using federal funds, would allow the agency "to assess and evaluate all elements of an automated speed notification system." Once selected, the vendor would operate an average time speed camera test for at least six months on Interstate 10 near El Paso and State Highway 6 near College Station.

Time-distance ticketing systems use multiple cameras spaced far apart on a freeway. Each car is photographed once as it enters the first section of road. Miles later a second photograph is taken that allows the vehicle's average speed to be calculated from the time it took to travel between the two locations. In use in Britain under the trade name SPECS, these cameras are commonly referred to as "yellow vultures" and are among the most lucrative in the country.

In its request for proposals, TxDOT cited success of speed cameras in the UK, which generated 120 million (US $240 million) in revenue in 2003, and in Washington, DC, which has generated $217 million in revenue with its red light and speed cameras since 1999. TxDOT's vendor will send notices -- warnings at first -- to motorists driving just 5 MPH over the limit with an accuracy level of +/- 2 MPH, meaning those driving just 3 MPH over the limit could receive a photograph and letter in the mail.

The River Cities Daily Tribune, which first reported the story last week, noted that TxDOT also ordered Marble Falls to remove its speed camera van from state highways in April citing safety concerns.

"How hypocritical is that?" Marble Falls Mayor Raymond Whitman told the Daily Tribune. "I have a bit of a problem with it, not because they're using the camera, but because if it's unsafe for us to use, how can it be safe for the state to do it?"

A full copy of the TxDOT speed camera request for proposals is available in a 219k PDF file at the source link below.

Source: Automated Speed Notification Services (Texas Department of Transportation, 4/1/2007)

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's is your average speed down Interstate 45 DavidGsXr General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 05-24-2012 05:35 AM
Average Speed on Highway Commute specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 05-23-2009 03:10 PM
Average Speed Cameras less_than_coop General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-06-2007 11:11 AM
speed camera's on the way! RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-19-2007 10:00 PM
What is your average speed in the SHF? Blanco General Discussion (Moto Related) 78 04-30-2007 09:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

I hope they stop this.

Khaki shirt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Is there anyone fighting it; AMA, etc.?
Any lists of people we can e-mail, write or call?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Big brother strikes again!!! Bastards! All about the f ucking money....nothing more, nothing less.
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG
They will come up with a device that goes over the lic plate that cannot be recorded. Then there is not a problem with this for speeders. They have something already that when you take a pic of the lic plate it scrambles it, so I would think someone can come up with something similar for a camera.

J
it's not a video camera....

"Each car is photographed once as it enters the first section of road."
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

What I dont get is that the State told those 2 cities that they could not operated speed cameras because they were unsafe...only to turn around and operate their OWN speed cameras.

Patrick: I dont know who we could contact about this, but Im sure there has got to be someone. If all else fails we could all contact our State Representative.

But if this goes through...Ill be taking 36 or 105 to 45 to get to Houston from now on!
(not that I speed, but I will not stand against the injustice of it )

Khaki shirt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

=JETG]They will come up with a device that goes over the lic plate that cannot be recorded. Then there is not a problem with this for speeders. They have something already that when you take a pic of the lic plate it scrambles it, so I would think someone can come up with something similar for a camera.
Bull that stuff dont work Ever watched
Episode 73: Speed Cameras
Take two self-confessed speed freaks yeah, that would be Adam and Jamie and pit them against the people's nemesis: speed cameras. The result: an action-packed adventure full of fun, fascination and, best of all, fast cars. Can speed cameras be beat by speeding faster than they can click? How about using license plate protectors or changing lanes to avoid the camera's eagle eye? Adam and Jamie put the pedal to the metal to crack these myths. Meanwhile in "Exploding Nitro Patches," Kari, Grant and Tory explore the myth that when the paramedic shouts "Clear!" and the defibrillator vents, its volts may start more than a heart.
Premiere: March 7, 2007

J[/QUOTE]
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Here this is what I am talking about, this should work

http://www.radarbusters.com/photo-ra...iew&key=OTA006

illegal simply because Texas just stiffen enforcement of laws preventing ANY portion of the license plate to be blocked from view.
Which means any frame like that, or from the dealer, or the cool chrome-looking, plastic chain frames from wal-mart are all against the law.

Khaki shirt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Here this is what I am talking about, this should work

http://www.radarbusters.com/photo-ra...iew&key=OTA006
yeah they tested that and it did not work
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 06-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
yeah they tested that and it did not work
If youre referring to that Mythbusters episode, the things they tested didnt work, but thats because they didnt test any real stuff, like radar/laser jammers, scramblers and real license plate covers. They couldnt show you ways that could actually work and help someone break the law. Lawyers run hollywood dont ya know!

Khaki shirt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop
If youre referring to that Mythbusters episode, the things they tested didnt work, but thats because they didnt test any real stuff, like radar/laser jammers, scramblers and real license plate covers. They couldnt show you ways that could actually work and help someone break the law. Lawyers run hollywood dont ya know!
Your probably right But I would jsut prefer to cover my plate up with Newspaper then chunk it later :-)
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

http://www.phantomplate.com/
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
Your probably right But I would jsut prefer to cover my plate up with Newspaper then chunk it later :-)
Officer WTF you pull me over for oh I have no idea how that trash got suck on my plate let me remove it post haste, thanks for letting me know about that have a pleasant day
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Hmm were it the link to this test ?? just curious what they actually used product wise..

As for texas and plate laws you are correct. But this is a piece of plastic, ie I think you can still legally have those. Just cannot cover up the texas and certain parts of the lic plate. But if it is clear then it is not actually covering up the plate, making it legal. Or that is how i see it.

Nope. You know how a license plate has that small lip around it that sits just below the face of the plate? Well, thats the only part you can obstruct according to 'da man.'

Makes me smile when I see a cop car with a D.A.R.E frame around their plates. Makes me wanna write them a ticket somehow!

Khaki shirt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

I saw a kit in one of the brittish bike mags awhile ago. It was for "track day use" on your bike. The license plate bracket would be replaced with a plate in a hinge. The hinge and plate were moved by a servo. The switch for the servo would be up where the rider would have quick and easy access. Speed camera ahead? one flip of a switch... license plate is pulled flat against the undertail... past the camera...hit the switch...back to having a normal plate.

Cool.

Khaki shirt.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I had the impression, that in the UK etc they had a real problem with people disabling and vadalising those things.

I'd rather the state spend the friggin $ on real rest areas and getting some road projects done faster.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop
I saw a kit in one of the brittish bike mags awhile ago. It was for "track day use" on your bike. The license plate bracket would be replaced with a plate in a hinge. The hinge and plate were moved by a servo. The switch for the servo would be up where the rider would have quick and easy access. Speed camera ahead? one flip of a switch... license plate is pulled flat against the undertail... past the camera...hit the switch...back to having a normal plate.

Cool.
No this sonds Cool! I want 2 of them
Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
now that is some cool stuff
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #19
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
I had the impression, that in the UK etc they had a real problem with people disabling and vadalising those things.

I'd rather the state spend the friggin $ on real rest areas and getting some road projects done faster.

molo

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf