Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

question about proper track gear

Would I be okay for the track if I got matching leather pants to zip into my vanson mark2 cobra?
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear question for 1st track day.... MotoJunkie Taking it to the Track 20 04-24-2009 03:10 PM
an example of the proper rain-gear sbfuller General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 09-04-2007 10:17 PM
Question about proper care for kangaroo leather WS62001 Gear Talk 2 08-05-2007 07:59 PM
question about jeans as proper gear logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 04-09-2007 03:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
yep. that'll do. as long as they zip together you're fine.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Depending on which group you ride in but usually a full zipper is required.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
must be a 360 degree zipper.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

I've been recently looking into Vanson leathers for the track. In fact I just tried some on at Northwest Honda this past Saturday. Mike was incredibly helpful. The quality is great but the zippers can give you a little trouble with getting what you need.

I have checked all the local track days and they only require that the leathers zip together. Not until you get into the more advanced skill levels/classes do some want full circumference zippers. And if you're racing, then you will need it for sure.

The problem with new Vansons (don't know about your jacket) is that they don't usually have a full zipper unless you get their street/track combo option. This is about $300 extra. Their regular stuff has a 3 point zipper system: 6 to 8 inches in the back and two 4 to 5 in zippers in the front. For Ridesmart, LSTD, Longhorn, and the new one out of Austin, this zipper system should be adequate except as I noted above.

You can probably take the jacket/pants to a seamstress, but be warned that the Vanson jackets have a funny cut that may make it really hard for them do it. There's not really a level zipper area all the way around because the front of the jacket is higher than the rear. You might be better off getting Vanson to do it. I think they may have to add some leather to the pants/jacket.

That said the Vanson technical sports rider pants were a great fit on me. They are well ventilated and well armored. They were comfortable in both a cruiser and sports bike position. My current non-perforated leathers do not fold well on a sports bike.

I'm really leaning toward Vansons myself.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I figure that since I'm a noob, the pants/jacket combo will be good enough, after that if I get really into it, then full leather suit will be the next obvious step ... but if I can get away with just buy pants, then that's the fastest and cheapest way for me to go.

Also ... does anyone do track prep, or can show me how to get my bike track preped? I've read some things, but I'm a more hands on learner.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Check around, there are lots of quality leathers available WITH a full circumference zipper for A LOT less than Vanson.
Fieldsheer and Alpinestar readily come to mind.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
I figure that since I'm a noob, the pants/jacket combo will be good enough, after that if I get really into it, then full leather suit will be the next obvious step ... but if I can get away with just buy pants, then that's the fastest and cheapest way for me to go.

Also ... does anyone do track prep, or can show me how to get my bike track preped? I've read some things, but I'm a more hands on learner.
I think you'll be fine with Vansons that zip together with the 3 point system. They're so well made anyway.

Track prep isn't hard for a street bike. Just taping up the lights and removing the mirrors and license plate. That and your bike has to be up to the basic mechanical specs: brakes, no leaks, good tires, etc.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

As far as track prep, see here for a guideline:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Patrick's right. You can probably get a whole suit for less than the Vanson pants. See my thread in the gear section regarding the Field sheer. Personally I'm really looking to buy American-made leathers right now. That's why I'm considering the Vansons.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
for the noob day, you don't really need to do much.

change the oil, check chain tension, lube the chain, check tire pressures, full tank of gas, remove mirrors, tape up all lights, remove all reflectors, and i recommend flushing the coolant and replacing with water wetter and distillled water. it also wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out your old brake fluid, replace with new, and check your pads to make sure they're in good shape, with plenty of life left.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Alstare_Gixxer
Crash Meister

Vanson used to be American made til last year when they added some foreign made jackets for about $150 less. Also, Vanson jackets are cut to have a little belly space, not athletic cut like some other brands.
Alstare_Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote