MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #41
Doodle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2015 Tuono V4R aprc abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
Coasting clutch in through a turn loads the front a little.
Have you ever been to the track? I ask because its a great way to learn about your self and the capability of you bike.

I broke my clavicle before in my first crash and the worst part was the no riding. Depending on how bad the break was you could be back to riding in like 2 weeks.
2 weeks would be wonderful. I avoid the track specifically because I don't want to trash my bike. My thinking on that may be flawed I know.
Doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop rear ends rider, then BLAMES the rider CTtriple General Discussion (Moto Related) 76 11-06-2013 10:09 AM
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
Rider and co-rider down 290E & Barker Cypress jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-17-2011 12:17 AM
Rider Down on 242, report says inexperienced rider Davekg General Discussion (Moto Related) 94 03-24-2011 07:11 PM
Rider to Passenger/Other Rider Communication Pyrofallout General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-22-2008 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #42
Doodle

Bike(s):
2015 Tuono V4R aprc abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
this is some great advice. If I could expand on this also try to not crash. Or alternatively go back in time and avoid this first crash completely.

I know you enjoy having pain every time you move right now, but really it would be better Doodle.
I'm glad you said this.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #43
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Don't coast through a turn with the clutch in. Keep it in gear so the front tire stays loaded. Also looks like you got too much lean going on. The bars should not be weighted since it will exaggerate any instability. Heal up and get back on the horse.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #44
lococnc

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015 Tuono
2004 919
2004 FJR1300
2011 CBR250R
2006 SV650N, 2007 SV650N, 2009 TTR-110, 2002 KTM 520 EXC, Sold

Never clutch in during a turn... Always power thru, and roll-on throttle , it stabilizes the bike.
lococnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #45
LifeRocket7

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R 636

I'm also going to add - and I've picked this up from twist of the wrist as well as countless how to and tip videos - there should be a minimal amount of weight on the bars throughout riding. Especially in racing/corners/spirited rides. My main issue with this was my seat position and how I rested my feet. Currently I'm about a fist to a fist and a half back from tank, with the of my feet on my pegs, using my legs/lower body to hold my position on the bike. The only weight I have on my bars is however much is enough to maintain control.

I call it "loosey goosey". My recent trip up to 1489 this past weekend really helped me realize the importance of it as well. I was coming up around the second to last corner, heading away from i10, and it's quite bumpy in spots. If I was stiff and heavy on the bars I'm sure I would have wiped out, just from that extra input, which would have upset the bike and probably caused me to panic.

TL;DR - there shouldn't be more weight on the bars than needs to be to maintain control.

I'm also aiming to get better and keep learning. RNickeyMouse is a fun channel to learn from.
LifeRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #46
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
Go look up you tube videos of people's front end washing out from tapping the front brake midturn while leaned over, and on a dry surface as well
If the surface is good you can brake while turning. It's done all day every day, especially if you have ABS like the OP's bike. The surface him up.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #47
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeRocket7 View Post
I'm also going to add - and I've picked this up from twist of the wrist as well as countless how to and tip videos - there should be a minimal amount of weight on the bars throughout riding. Especially in racing/corners/spirited rides. My main issue with this was my seat position and how I rested my feet. Currently I'm about a fist to a fist and a half back from tank, with the of my feet on my pegs, using my legs/lower body to hold my position on the bike. The only weight I have on my bars is however much is enough to maintain control.

I call it "loosey goosey". My recent trip up to 1489 this past weekend really helped me realize the importance of it as well. I was coming up around the second to last corner, heading away from i10, and it's quite bumpy in spots. If I was stiff and heavy on the bars I'm sure I would have wiped out, just from that extra input, which would have upset the bike and probably caused me to panic.

TL;DR - there shouldn't be more weight on the bars than needs to be to maintain control.

I'm also aiming to get better and keep learning. RNickeyMouse is a fun channel to learn from.
Staying relaxed is the key. On the track you brake hard into a turn and your weight and the bike's weight transfers to the front forks no matter how lightly your hands are on the bars. The front tire has no idea if the weight is coming from the bars or through the frame neck.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #48
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
Looking at frames of the video, I'm still covering the front break, but I think I'm doing exactly that just covering. The reason I say this is because my train of thought at the Tim was brake hard while straight and then take the curve no brakes and clutch in, but who knows for sure now.
glad your okay considering but as others said clutch in and coasting thru the turn isnt a good idea
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #49
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Watch this a good two times while you are just sitting there all doped up. The info in there is invaluable and the cheesy acting is hilarious.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #50
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
The info in there is invaluable and the cheesy acting is hilarious.
Cleanest leathers EVAR!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #51
Crossfits
Crossfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
What's funny and not at the same time is I'm trying to get this motovlog channel up and going and I guarantee this video will have the most views. The plus side is I got the helmet mic squared away just in time to make cringeworthy noises as I smack pavement. Fml.
Epic. Glad you are okay, though.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #52
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Rear brake...

Geesh.

Noob streeters
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #53
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

glad it was not worse man.

I've almost ate it on in turns just like that so I just slow down.

one time I almost lost it on a giant dead bird.

I personally appreciate the video and also sympathize. I have some sick fascination with watching myself crash too.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #54
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #55
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

sometimes these just cant be avoided man, glad u didnt get hurt any worse and no vehicles were behind you. i dunno if anyone at any speed, not knowing an oil slick is ahead, can avoid it.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #56
PushingLuck831

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi klx351sf (sold)
2015 wr450f
2000 Suzuki SV 650 (sold)
themagicman's garage :)
2013 street triple (unicycle)

ive broken my left clavicle twice now. First time I had a 10" plate and 10 screws lol. sucks man, just remember it could be worse!! glad youre still here with us!
PushingLuck831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #57
Doodle

Bike(s):
2015 Tuono V4R aprc abs

Guys I appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #58
stache
noob

Member Garage

Doodle, Thanks for posting the video.
Regardless of what the fault of the off was, it's a good reminder to all of us to be careful and ride at full awareness.

I had a lady make a right turn in front of me from the left lane today. Scary as . Happy to have made it out without incident.
stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #59
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococnc View Post
Never clutch in during a turn... Always power thru, and roll-on throttle , it stabilizes the bike.
Absolutely NOT on water covered oil. SLOW down, keep the bike upright as much as possible. Wet track conditions are bad enough, but wet street with oil???? Add power???? Adding force to the front tire on water covered oil will NOT give you better traction. It will INCREASE you chance of going down. For sure, you will be sharing a hospital room. The ratio of gripping area to weight (not traction force) will be significantly reduced.

Go ahead and power through on wet oil if you want.
Just have total coverage on your bike and expect pain.

Strap on your go pro, power thru with these conditions and show me how you do this.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #60
lococnc

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2015 Tuono
2004 919
2004 FJR1300
2011 CBR250R
2006 SV650N, 2007 SV650N, 2009 TTR-110, 2002 KTM 520 EXC, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Absolutely NOT on water covered oil. SLOW down, keep the bike upright as much as possible. Wet track conditions are bad enough, but wet street with oil???? Add power???? Adding force to the front tire on water covered oil will NOT give you better traction. It will INCREASE you chance of going down. For sure, you will be sharing a hospital room. The ratio of gripping area to weight (not traction force) will be significantly reduced.

Go ahead and power through on wet oil if you want.
Just have total coverage on your bike and expect pain.

Strap on your go pro, power thru with these conditions and show me how you do this.
I disagree, you should not be coasting, the bike is unstable, wet or not. Am I saying nail the throttle wide open? No, but even at small lean angles you need to power thru the turn, without the weight transfer your rear tire is doing NOTHING if all the weight is on front tire. You need to get that back tire and it's MUCH wider contact patch working for you.
lococnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement