MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Offroad riding with Kevin Schwantz

Our race for yesterday was postponed due to rain, TRH scheduled at Sterling Ranch in Willis. The property had too much rain for the race to be held.

AMSA held an open ride day at Goertz Ranch in Bastrop and I had decided early on in the week not to go, stay home and take a break. Luckily, I changed my mind and decided to go anyway.

Once there Sunday morning, I unloaded the bikes and threw my gear bag in the bed of the truck to change, I look to the truck at my left and I see who I believe to be Kevin Schwantz but, I say to myself "Noway he's here to ride offroad at Goertz, it can't be Kevin". I am trying to get dressed but, keep on thinking that, that has to be him, the facial features are just too strong, he's pretty fit (skinny, healthy looking) but he's on a KTM driving a big Ford Diesel.

Trying not to be obvious with my confused stares, I tell my G/F who I think it is and she's like, well, whatever, I don't know who you're talking about. I finally get fully dressed and decided to walk over, as I approach his truck, he stands at the corner of the bed playing with his dog, I say "Kevin????" He turns to look at me and just starts smiling really big, as if he was happy that someone recognized him yet, never thought anyone would. As I introduced myself to him, I mentioned that I will likely be the only person here who will know who you are (probably 50 people there to ride at this point).

He gave me a bit of backdrop as to why he was there at Goertz, and was quizzing me on the property, in which I have ridden many times. I asked him if he'd like to ride together and he said sure thing, lets do it. I mounted my gopro to the rear fender facing backwards, and clicked it on. Kevin and I headed out and ended up doing 3 laps together, he followed me for the first lap, I followed him the 2nd lap and the 3rd lap, we were cutting up, making passes on each other and having a bit of a nice race. I had a great time and was just so excited to be riding with this man. His trials skills are impeccable as we were in some technical sections and his body english was great and had no problems at all with any of the terrain, afterall, he has a natural ability to be great and fast at anything he does.

After the 3rd lap, we took a break, he rode off on his own and I started riding with my friends, we were railing the trails and having a great time, videoing each other as we race along the 6.5 mile course, but I eventually lost my camera due to vibrations breaking the mount, we never found the camera and I was so upset, I'd love to have the video of me riding that day, probably a day I'll always remember.

Video of our fast laps courtesy of Craig Reed (the camera bike)

Part 1
https://youtu.be/zUMCFLlby8o

Part 2
https://youtu.be/23VxBqE-Z0Q
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA vs Kevin Schwantz ninenine General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 03-22-2013 08:58 AM
trackday w/ Kevin Schwantz in TX RACER X Taking it to the Track 5 02-13-2013 08:52 PM
Kevin Schwantz: First ride/race on a 500cc!! Grinchy Taking it to the Track 4 09-05-2009 09:08 AM
Ode to Kevin Schwantz Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-07-2009 10:53 AM
Vintage Kevin Schwantz: He Keeps Winning Racer997 Taking it to the Track 1 02-09-2009 01:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

He is a really nice guy, very easy to talk to.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Wow that kicks !
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
that is badass!!!!! unfortunately, half the people here won't recognize the name either.

So, what was Kevin doing in TX riding an open ride day?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
nwall1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 aprilia shiver 750
2002 cr250 (sold)
2003 rc51 (sold)

Thats awesome. And he loves that dog
nwall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
that is badass!!!!! unfortunately, half the people here won't recognize the name either.

So, what was Kevin doing in TX riding an open ride day?
He lives in Austin, parents live in Bastrop. He has only been riding Moto but has heard about Goertz many times and this was his chance to ride it so he showed up. He's a pretty fast guy, he was mostly able to keep up with me.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Bounce305
The Brasileiro!!!!

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000rr

BadASS!!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

"Body English" meaning body language...that was awesome.

I wonder if Kevin will do the last TWS (Texas World Speedway). I am hoping Colin and Ben are there as well.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Badass James!