MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: What do you use and how do you like it.
Mac- Like it. 12 38.71%
Mac- Hate it. 0 0%
Pc- Like it. 18 58.06%
Pc- Hate it. 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #21
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3ofdoom
didnt know that why would the Playstation 3 come preloaded with linux if its made by their rivals???

Eh? Linux isn't made by a Sony rival. It's made by a chit-ton of individuals, some corporate backed, some not and it's sold and supported by several different companies. Sony used Linux on their 10,000 PS2 dev machines. Wish I could have gotten one. Instead all i got was the PS2/Linux kit from Sony. KB, Mouse, 40GB hardrive and a precompiled version of linux for about $200 :icon_bigg

I'm assuming they are still using Linux for PS3, but I dunno. I'm not keeping up with 'em.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Vs. PC yellowjacket Off Topic 58 10-02-2009 04:25 PM
Mac or PC Pyrofallout Off Topic 1 05-08-2009 01:12 PM
The truth about Mac vs PC Pyrofallout Off Topic 6 12-23-2008 06:29 PM
PC vs Mac....the musical Pyrofallout Off Topic 0 10-22-2008 09:18 PM
mac vs pc Azylum Off Topic 26 05-17-2008 09:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #22
jus10

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
Windows can suck my . :icon_bigg
well put! Too problematic and way too susceptible to viruses and worms and bullshit. Mac OSX is the way to go!
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox6
you dont like the OS Layout? near everything about Windows was taken from Mac.
yeah, i noticed it's similar. i guess my main problem with the OS is that i'm not familiar with it, but like i said i'm not into computers so i don't have much input on this topic...but no one else was saying much in depth either.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #24
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
how about some explains Why mac or PC is better? it's hard for me to say much about them because i don't know much, but i don't like mac's single click mouses and i don't really care for their OS' overall layout. other than that i don't see a huge difference.

You don't have to use a single click mouse with a MAC. I *HATES* that too. I use my regular ol logitech 3 button, scrolly mouse with mine just fine. In fact the newer macs have a funky mouse that recognizes right and left clicks even though it doesn't have the buttons on it. I just don't like how the whole mouse feels like it's node diving when you click it.

As far as looks.. personal preferences.

I love the command line for some stuff. You can sorta use the CLI in windows, but DOS sucks. The reason I felt OK with switching to MAC is because ever since OSX, it's built on top of BSD Unix. Linux is a unix-ish type OS. So I can still have my command line stuff with some subtle differences, and get a nice (not that my Linux Desktops weren't nice) desktop with good hardware support.

I tend to bash microsoft quite a bit, but there are several reason for it. Some valid, some not so much. Like I mentioned earlier, I've been using Linux since '94. I went to the midnight sale on the eve on the Windows '95 launch and bought it. (little known fact about me )

I've had to use Windows 2000 and Windows XP for work and they were decent for the work. I felt handicapped by the lack of CLI and installed cygwin tools out of desperation, but ended up dual booting on the company laptop :icon_bigg Sucked because corporate mail required Exchange (here's were the microsoft bashing comes back into play)

Nobody is reading this anyway, so I'll just talk about space shuttles and ducks. Who likes the duckies in the pond? I do I do!

Long story short, whatever fits your needs. Do you have any applications you absolutely need and can't live without? If so, is it available for MAC? If not, then you're stuck on Windows. If not, then give a mac a try. :icon_bigg
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #25
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
sillywabbit

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Firebolt

Member Garage

no viruses, the mouse can actually be set up to be a 4 button mouse, not just a single click. Can dual boot OSX and indows if needed, so you can have both OS's on a single computer. No random crashes. Looks cooler. You can customize most of yor apps, appearance..
Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #27
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I used windows for about 10 years and with my last laptop learned to hate PCs. I now use a macbook. I like it. It does take some getting used to. As far as the one button vs. two issue, there are a number of ways to get the "right click" options, it's all in the settings. I did buy office for mac but not windows. I still have my other laptop becasue there are a few features I have not figured out just yet.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement