MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #21
RaZ
J.A.F.A.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS 1000, Honda CB750K DOHC

Stiffer penalties for the motorists that hit and injure / kill bikers or at least enforce the ones we have....
Most accidents where a "cager" kills a biker doesn't even involve a ticket
RaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gov. Perry ThomasNinja650 Off Topic 8 03-16-2009 03:09 PM
Gov. Perry and Cun Control... Ulric The Circus 37 05-10-2007 10:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZ
Stiffer penalties for the motorists that hit and injure / kill bikers or at least enforce the ones we have....
Most accidents where a "cager" kills a biker doesn't even involve a ticket

Sooo, the stiffer penalties would stop people from killing bikers? That suggests that motorists are intentionally harming motorcycles just because they aren't worried about the lenient punishment. I don't think stricter penalties would really help. I see what you are saying that you think they may drive more cautiously due to the stricter penalties, but I disagree.

~Keith
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #23
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Edit: harming Motorcycle riders, I love this new edit feature.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
jus10

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov. Perry
The expansion will add 165 new jobs for a total employment of 225.
“Harley-Davidson’s expansion means more jobs, more paychecks and a stronger economy for the Metroplex and all of Texas,” Perry said
I liked this part......165 more jobs is going to make the economy stronger???? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA while that is true, it is like saying "we're adding more water to the pool!" and then adding 3 drops of water and getting all excited about it!!! (NOTE: I like Perry the majority of the time....this is just humorous.)
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #25
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
It is ridiculous that they waited this long to make it required but atleast they are doing it.
Crystal what law is it you want Perry to pass to protect motorcyclists from dying? The look before you leap law that requires drivers to look both directions before pulling out? Outlawing bikes? What can he do?
~Keith
No I don't think you're being rude to me and it is a hard question, but honestly if you go to some other states where the driving is better it's probably because the driving schools/rules might be stricter. I think Texas is too nice with drivers. We should have better driving schools, we should have stricter punishments, and the state should really teach more about motorcycles and especially in driver's ed. I learned a lot of stuff in drivers ed, but they didn't mention about bikes.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Sooo, the stiffer penalties would stop people from killing bikers? That suggests that motorists are intentionally harming motorcycles just because they aren't worried about the lenient punishment. I don't think stricter penalties would really help. I see what you are saying that you think they may drive more cautiously due to the stricter penalties, but I disagree.
~Keith
If more people were involved, it could change.
It's just some little hope I have that would never change. So because of stupid people, I carry ball bearings in my pockets when I ride. Sucks for them! But it's not my fault they are idiots.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 AM   #27
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

What about motorcycle only crashes? Should there be stricter laws on who can ride and who can't? Those are accidents too, but I doubt you think that motorcycle riders who are involved in single vehicle accidents should be punished. I personally think the requirements for riding a motorcycle should be much stricter. I hope all that mess made sense.

Have you ever been in an accident that was your fault(car or bike)? I have crashed my truck before and it was 100% my fault. It was a total accident and a I just wasn't paying full attention at the time. If there were stricter rules on cars hitting bikes there should also be stricter rules for cars hitting cars, and I for one wouldn't really like that. We understand the risks everytime we hop on our bikes, nobody forces us to ride. I would give anything to ensure our safety riding motorcycles, I just don't think there is much, if anything, more that the government can do to protect us that would be for the greater good.

~Keith
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #28
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

if we can go to jail for doing a simple wheelie, they should go to jail for killing someone if its proved to be neglegence.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #29
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
if we can go to jail for doing a simple wheelie, they should go to jail for killing someone if its proved to be neglegence.
i agree to that

because if pulling a wheelie means you attempt against your own safety.

well if someone run you over in you bike that also means they are attempting against your safety same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #30
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
why didnt they have seatbelts since the begining?

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #31
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

ok you honestly think a school bus driver, is going to keep allll those kids buckled in?

I think not

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #32
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
ok you honestly think a school bus driver, is going to keep allll those kids buckled in?

I think not
They don't get paid enough for most of them to care, but there are som bus drivers that will beat you or scream at you if you misbehave. I've remember one of my bus drivers would not move the bus if someone was standing up, or if someone stood up she would stop for a few minutes. I would get and scream at who ever stood up. I WANTED TO GET HOME DAMNIT!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #33
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
They don't get paid enough for most of them to care, but there are som bus drivers that will beat you or scream at you if you misbehave. I've remember one of my bus drivers would not move the bus if someone was standing up, or if someone stood up she would stop for a few minutes. I would get and scream at who ever stood up. I WANTED TO GET HOME DAMNIT!
I agree, I think they SHOULD have them, I just don't see many kids wearing them.

You can see a kid stand up on a bus, or move around....
But can you really see them buckled in? Not unless every buckle has a "connected" sensor. Then all they have to do is buckle it behind them.

I just think our school systems are better off using the money else where.

where is mckee?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #34
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
I agree, I think they SHOULD have them, I just don't see many kids wearing them.

You can see a kid stand up on a bus, or move around....
But can you really see them buckled in? Not unless every buckle has a "connected" sensor. Then all they have to do is buckle it behind them.

I just think our school systems are better off using the money else where.
I don't see all school districts giving a about students wearing their seatbelt. Some districts are more caring/careful/considering/etc. than others. I think it is more having to do with "they tried". Yea the money (our taxes) can be used for something better but it rarely is. Money is going to go some where anyway.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #35
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
I don't see all school districts giving a about students wearing their seatbelt. Some districts are more caring/careful/considering/etc. than others. I think it is more having to do with "they tried". Yea the money (our taxes) can be used for something better but it rarely is. Money is going to go some where anyway.
I could see this work for private schools, but not so much public.
And possibly putting VERY strict rules on the seat belts, i.e. First offense written warning to parents, Second detention, etc.

Just think how much money is is going to cost to implement on existing buses.
Maybe if it was a real slow process such as any new buses purchase should include seat belts. Therefore there is no upfront burden of cost.

where is mckee?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #36
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
I could see this work for private schools, but not so much public.
And possibly putting VERY strict rules on the seat belts, i.e. First offense written warning to parents, Second detention, etc.

Just think how much money is is going to cost to implement on existing buses.
Maybe if it was a real slow process such as any new buses purchase should include seat belts. Therefore there is no upfront burden of cost.
They are doing construction on a little stretch of bellaire and hwy6. That is costing 2.1 (or 1.2) Million Dollars. I think it's a waste and it didn't need to be done. Money will be wasted regardless because some people will argue our moral values with this. It would be great if all these bad little kids changed, but they won't. It's going to be a waste, but hey, they tried. [:
Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #37
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
They are doing construction on a little stretch of bellaire and hwy6. That is costing 2.1 (or 1.2) Million Dollars. I think it's a waste and it didn't need to be done. Money will be wasted regardless because some people will argue our moral values with this. It would be great if all these bad little kids changed, but they won't. It's going to be a waste, but hey, they tried. [:
I totally agree, but just because they waste money elsewhere, doesn't mean they should here.

BTW, good discussion

where is mckee?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #38
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
off topic - How do you know that it is unneccesary for them to do constuction?

I think the sensor idea was good. If the kids choose to fool it then the blame is not on the school district. which im sure is what they want.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #39
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post

I think the sensor idea was good. If the kids choose to fool it then the blame is not on the school district. which im sure is what they want.
You know how much that would cost? to us we see a sensor at let's say 5 bucks.

But all the bus companies see time, material, "research," etc. those 5 dollar sensors are now 15-20 per Buckle!

And as for blame, not saying I agree, but in our society a child is HARDLY ever to blame.

where is mckee?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #40
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post

I think it's to make it look nicer. The roads weren't messed up. I don't know what the end result will look like, but they might have taken away the median as well. The opposite side still has the median and they added landscaping. I personally think hwy and richmond should have been fixed first. If you go more than 25 mph crossing hwy 6 on richmond then you scrape the bottom of your car because it's so steep.

Advertisement