MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #121
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy"zx6
you run 1;52 or 2;52 cuz if your running 52 you need to ask nobody you should know by know what works the best:BangHead:

That's what i was thinking. We're running low 2:00s there and he's already running 10 seconds faster then us on a 5 year old bike. :laughing6

Dude,

I would highly recommend updating your equipment.
The record's by Ty Howard @ 1:43.
Brandon runs 1:46s.
Your running 1:52s.

Keep in mind both Ty & Brandon have the top of the line machinery, where as you dont! :eh:

So with an 01 R6, your probably going as fast as that bike can safely go! What do you hit on the straights on your bike?

I would highly recommend trying the new 06-07 R6. Its a great bike meant for the track.

I'm sure if you can run 1:52 with an 01 R6 (no inverted forks or anything), then on an 06-07 R6 you'll be easily dip into the mid 1:40s. (with some mods obviously!)

LOL - still i'd like to see Jimmy tow you around in B while he's 10 seconds slower then you. :laughing6

that, both of us are gonna be asking a tow from you! :icon_rabb

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) July 25th Trackday OnBoard footage with T10 crash caught r6racer Taking it to the Track 78 08-07-2015 06:45 PM
Ridesmart TWS (Texas World Speedway) July 25th, 2015 Who is going? r6racer Ridesmart Motorcycle School 34 07-27-2015 06:30 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) 25th - Need a ride velo29 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 14 09-24-2010 02:59 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) 25th jimmy"zx6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-29-2007 11:50 AM
Sat June 24th and Sun June 25th 50cc chick Events, Meets and Rides 97 06-23-2006 02:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #122
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r
Your opinions are pretty exagerrated, but there is some accuracy there.

Inverted forks aren't necessarily going to make much of a difference as the forks on the R6 you have are just as adjustable (IIRC, they have preload, high speed damping, rebound, etc)- does not affect "safety". Some folks are just as fast on standard forks (, Eric Falt runs 54's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on an SV650, and Dane Westby has turned 52's there on his SV).

Front straight speed doesn't have much to do with turning fast laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) any way.

Simply changing bikes to a newer model isn't going to improve your lap times that drastically either.

There is no question that there are some horsepower gains with a newer bike, and the suspension and bike geometry has changed which can make handling improvements, but there is no substitute for seat time. Using Brandon as an example, he spends a lot of time testing tires, a lot of time practicing, and, he has a LOT of natural ability. True, his equipment is top-notch, but there are plenty of other influences and factors to affect his speed. Just like Ty, who is a mid-pack AMA racer (not to belittle him, he is really, really talented- he just hasn't done as well in AMA as many others in the classes he raced) who comes out and schools plenty of folks at the club level (though it seems there are a bunch of riders taking him to task lately and giving great races).

The point of that is that though you may have been racing as long as Brandon, there are various factors that make him, at this point, faster than you are right now. Just like Ty, who is much faster than 99% of the club, but is not as fast as the AMA racers he was competing with (of course, money, equipment and support play a much bigger role there too...). In a couple of years, you may be as fast or faster than Supapro, , it could be next week that you catch up to him, or never at all.

If you get a new bike, there is a really good chance that you'll go faster. The newer bike will likely handle better, and will be more powerful. How much faster you go is ultimately up to you. However, if you get good instruction (lots of pro racers have "coaches", instruction is not just for newbies), good seat time, understand your suspension and are able to articulate problems or suspension changes needed, you can very likely go much faster with what you have.
great post
Old 06-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #123
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow

That's what i was thinking. We're running low 2:00s there and he's already running 10 seconds faster then us on a 5 year old bike. :laughing6

Dude,

I would highly recommend updating your equipment.
The record's by Ty Howard @ 1:43.
Brandon runs 1:46s.
Your running 1:52s.

Keep in mind both Ty & Brandon have the top of the line machinery, where as you dont! :eh:

So with an 01 R6, your probably going as fast as that bike can safely go! What do you hit on the straights on your bike?

I would highly recommend trying the new 06-07 R6. Its a great bike meant for the track.

I'm sure if you can run 1:52 with an 01 R6 (no inverted forks or anything), then on an 06-07 R6 you'll be easily dip into the mid 1:40s. (with some mods obviously!)

LOL - still i'd like to see Jimmy tow you around in B while he's 10 seconds slower then you. :laughing6

that, both of us are gonna be asking a tow from you! :icon_rabb
remember the standard look forks were aqctually preferred over the the inverted forks on the r6 in many cases. now the 06-07's are better but the USD forks before were not.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #124
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r
Your opinions are pretty exagerrated, but there is some accuracy there.

Inverted forks aren't necessarily going to make much of a difference as the forks on the R6 you have are just as adjustable (IIRC, they have preload, high speed damping, rebound, etc)- does not affect "safety". Some folks are just as fast on standard forks (, Eric Falt runs 54's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on an SV650, and Dane Westby has turned 52's there on his SV).

Front straight speed doesn't have much to do with turning fast laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) any way.

Simply changing bikes to a newer model isn't going to improve your lap times that drastically either.

There is no question that there are some horsepower gains with a newer bike, and the suspension and bike geometry has changed which can make handling improvements, but there is no substitute for seat time. Using Brandon as an example, he spends a lot of time testing tires, a lot of time practicing, and, he has a LOT of natural ability. True, his equipment is top-notch, but there are plenty of other influences and factors to affect his speed. Just like Ty, who is a mid-pack AMA racer (not to belittle him, he is really, really talented- he just hasn't done as well in AMA as many others in the classes he raced) who comes out and schools plenty of folks at the club level (though it seems there are a bunch of riders taking him to task lately and giving great races).

The point of that is that though you may have been racing as long as Brandon, there are various factors that make him, at this point, faster than you are right now. Just like Ty, who is much faster than 99% of the club, but is not as fast as the AMA racers he was competing with (of course, money, equipment and support play a much bigger role there too...). In a couple of years, you may be as fast or faster than Supapro, , it could be next week that you catch up to him, or never at all.

If you get a new bike, there is a really good chance that you'll go faster. The newer bike will likely handle better, and will be more powerful. How much faster you go is ultimately up to you. However, if you get good instruction (lots of pro racers have "coaches", instruction is not just for newbies), good seat time, understand your suspension and are able to articulate problems or suspension changes needed, you can very likely go much faster with what you have.

yes fantastic post.

to the others. riding a bike and setting up a bike is 2 completly different things. i know plenty of good riders that dont know on tunning a bike. i will be there on the 25th so plz dont flame me. i really dont know how to fine-tune everything. i do know how to do some stuff of course but all i was sayin is if i had a little expertise i could go so much faster. i keep runnin wide at full lean sometimes and the front wants to push/slide when im trying to accelerate hard out of some turns. i dont have a whole lot of confidence in flicking the bike into the corners any faster than im doing cause im always fighting for traction in the front. (i can get way more specific) but anyway thatís what slowing me down.

Last edited by hypertrophyy; 06-17-2007 at 02:59 PM.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #125
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

yeah bill is a hard guy to get ahold of. he has worked on my r6 before an tuned my engine. A+ never had him do any suspension work. i heard he is workin in some shop north of austin now.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #126
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Keep in mind that it is possible for riders to have a negative effect on suspension. Its important to let the bike do its job and not have the rider fight or aggravate it. Being smooth helps to keep the negative from happening.
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement