MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #81
infidel
drpickles

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

so i dunno Lesson learned i guess seems to be all minor that needs to be fixed anyways . a lil electrical and a few nut and bolts.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK, f* ck Candy Crush Saga! eltejano Off Topic 38 05-24-2013 07:14 PM
GTR saga... SexualChocolate Car Forum 21 08-11-2011 08:22 AM
The BiPOLAR Saga FastLine Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 14 03-31-2009 11:25 AM
More myspace saga... dbuck Off Topic 5 05-15-2008 06:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #82
Killing Hours
Derka Derka

Bike(s):
94' zx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr pickles
But i don't think Todd would do all the $hit this guys said . i from i know of brandon i wouldn't think he would either.

@ your comment.. Brandon has done more than he ever had to. I've had no issues from him whatsoever. From the get go he "claimed" that he knew nothing of the engine trouble. I can not prove that he did or didn't so i have to give him the benifit of the doubt. Seeing how he's tried very hard to help me with this.. i can only assume he has good intentions.

it's not that they "DID" something... it's that they DIDN'T do something. It's called "reassembling the engine correctly".

Lets put it like this...

You take your car/truck to a shop because the engine seized.. They say.. "since you bought this truck/car from a good friend, we'll cut you a deal" You say O.K. ... Then when you get your car back... You headlights don't work, you AC no longer blows cold, the muffler is draggin the ground and you say "it wasn't like that when i brought it here" and they say "sure it was". Now you know for a fact that it wasn't in that kinda shape before you take it in but how can you prove it if you didn't take a video camera and go over every inch of it?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #83
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Here's my two cents....and the only reason I am posting is for this young man's (Killing Hours) words to be heard. I stopped by NW Cycles sometime 2 or 3 weeks ago to pick up a can of chain lube that I purchased months ago and left on the counter....plus I was stopping to say hi to Todd....but

When I pulled up I was astonished at what I saw. There were parts everywhere for all types bikes and nothing was organized, and I mean NOTHING. I hate to bash on their business, but it was not a nice sight at all. Your motor was not in the bike, I saw two or three of your plastics in various locations of the shop, etc. Sorry to hear you went through all of this only to still be unsatisfied by the end of it all. Mechanic mentioned that Todd is very rarely around, etc. Now, on to the positive side of the story....I ride the same bike. If you'd like to get out of the problem altogether and get rid of it I'd gladly give you $500 +/- for the whole bike as it is (I'd have to look it over first), I really want your plastics:icon_bigg Not trying to lowball you, but put some change in pocket rather than having the bike in the garage collecting dust. Sorry to hear man, keep your head up. If I were you, I'm not sure what I would do. When I blew my first motor, my bike sat for a year before I found a replacement motor at a reasonable price. I was not willing to pay 1K for a motor that had 25K miles. If you want to try and fix, I suggest having Patrick take a look and do an estimate on items that need to be fixed/replaced. Then determine if it is worth it or not. Best of luck dude. If you decide to get rid of it, please PM me.

I really don't mean to hate on NW Cycles, but... I know for a fact that I would not leave my bike in their hands. These machines we ride are dangerous. If something is not put back together correctly or entirely it makes that level of danger even greater. Choose your shop wisely.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #84
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I think that you should have had the motor replaced all together. The reason is that it is much cheaper in the long run. These motors are what you would call interference design. Meaning that if the valves were open and something happened like a timing chain breaking, spun bearing, streched rod etc, the piston would end up hitting a valve or two or three. So while you may have replaced a bottom end for the price of a whole motor, the spun bearing could have caused the piston to hit a valve. This will cause ticking aka (motor noise). This would mean that you need to do some head work now.

I have built a lot of motorcycle motors, trannys etc. I have seen this happen time and time again. When I spun a bearing on my 2001 GSXR1000, it slaped some valves and broke them off at the same time resulting in a severly damaged motor. So rather than spend big bucks repairing it and the time envolved, I replaced the motor. Take this all as a life lesson.

If you want to get a used motor I can help you replace it free of charge. I can't do the physical work because I am paralyzed so you'll have to do almost all of the work. I'll supply the tools and the know how. You'll learn a lot in the process. I don't do much these days anyways and I don't mind a project. I also have a lot of connections on used parts, nuts and bolts etc. Just let me know if you want to travel down that route. I know what it is like to have to do things on a bugget.

So lets all stop the bad mouthing about someone back in fourth cause it doesn't get the problem resolved.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #85
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx
If you want to get a used motor I can help you replace it free of charge. I can't do the physical work because I am paralyzed so you'll have to do almost all of the work. I'll supply the tools and the know how. You'll learn a lot in the process. I don't do much these days anyways and I don't mind a project. I also have a lot of connections on used parts, nuts and bolts etc. Just let me know if you want to travel down that route. I know what it is like to have to do things on a bugget.
If you need help, I can also help you drop the old motor and replace with a new used one. I also have all the necessary tools to do the job and the knowledge as I have done this exact motor drop in the past. All you need to do is supply the motor, new oil/filter, and coolant (it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a 12 pack as well:icon_bigg I work best while sipping on a brew )
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #86
TLLuvr

Bike(s):
A few of them

[QUOTE=dbuckzx7] Cycles sometime 2 or 3 weeks ago to pick up a can of chain lube that I purchased months ago and left on the counter....plus I was stopping to say hi to Todd....but

When I pulled up I was astonished at what I saw. There were parts everywhere for all types bikes and nothing was organized, and I mean NOTHING.

Dbuck in case you did not know 2-3 wee4ks ago we were still moving in to our new shop so yes the shop was in a state of disarray. Your right nothing was organized moving is not very neat. We just finished moving and setting up our new shop this week.

But you did not see his plastics laying everywhere, he brought his bike in with the plastics off. The only plastics on his bike the upper and the tail stayed on the bike. They were never removed. There were several stacks of fairings I am selling everywhere. If you want to stop back by and see the shop now that it is put together maybe it will meet your approval, I don't know my personal office is quite a mess still.

Killlinghours everytime I told you about anything your bike needed your reply was you could not afford it at this time. I told you about your melted wires I suggested we use new rings, cam chain, cam chain adjuster, and a few other things as I always do this when building a lower end.

I even offered you a new set of oversized pistons I had for $100 I believe, a fraction of there cost to help you out since your money was tight. Everytime I suggested any work you could not afford it. You got what you paid for and it was done correctly. So what is the problem?

I lost $200 to get this done in the estimated price how much more free work do you expect me to do? I am in this business to make a profit not to break even and especially not to lose money.

Why would I swap a bolt in your clutch lever that is ridiculous and I am the one who pointed it out to you. I showed you the burnt wires and I brought the other problems to your attention. I offered to give you a few bolts that you were missing.

Your motor is making noise and its from the cam chain or adjuster you did not want to have replaced. We did the work you wanted and nothing else I never said you were going to have a new bike or that it was not going to still have a few problems, I actually told you the opposite. Don't act like this is such a surprise to you. If you had the lower end rebuilt in your car they are not going to fix anything else for free so why do you expect me too?

Do you just like to play the victim or what? I am the one who lost money on this deal and you don't hear me looking for sympathy. This is it I wish someone would lock this thread I am done with it.
TLLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #87
Lunchbox6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
i think those problems existed before. I refuse to believe a shop would put that long of a bolt back in a clutch lever. and some of that other stuff. I think all that stuff was wrong the shop told him but he only wanted the bottom end built. and that's it.

the way to right the wrong now is for the new guy to go into ronayers.com and look at the various bolts and washers he needs and buy them. as far as the engine lower end build i would have searched ebay or the zx7r message board for a replacement motor. you probably could have gotten a zx7rr motor for what you paid for that one to get fixed. i don't think the shop shagged him i think he got EXACTLY what he paid for and nothing else. I would have noted all that and then had him sign as proff that he knew all that was wrong (no matter how small.) and yes it can take a month or so to get some of those parts you need to build a bottom end especially on a older bike. remember this is not a common repair like valve shims and stuff or even valves for that matter this is a MAJOR engine problem.

Thats what I'm Talkin Aboot!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #88
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

"the spun bearing could have caused the piston to hit a valve."

How exactly does spinning a bearing cause the piston to hit a valve?
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #89
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

When the bearing slips to one side of the rod causing the stroke of the motor to change for that one pistion/rod combination (lengthening) it will slap a valve in an interference designed motor.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #90
Lunchbox6

yea, what he said.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #91
Killing Hours
Derka Derka

Bike(s):
94' zx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLuvr
Killlinghours everytime I told you about anything your bike needed your reply was you could not afford it at this time. I told you about your melted wires I suggested we use new rings, cam chain, cam chain adjuster, and a few other things as I always do this when building a lower end.

I even offered you a new set of oversized pistons I had for $100 I believe, a fraction of there cost to help you out since your money was tight. Everytime I suggested any work you could not afford it. You got what you paid for and it was done correctly. So what is the problem?

I lost $200 to get this done in the estimated price how much more free work do you expect me to do? I am in this business to make a profit not to break even and especially not to lose money.

Why would I swap a bolt in your clutch lever that is ridiculous and I am the one who pointed it out to you. I showed you the burnt wires and I brought the other problems to your attention. I offered to give you a few bolts that you were missing.

Your motor is making noise and its from the cam chain or adjuster you did not want to have replaced. We did the work you wanted and nothing else I never said you were going to have a new bike or that it was not going to still have a few problems, I actually told you the opposite. Don't act like this is such a surprise to you. If you had the lower end rebuilt in your car they are not going to fix anything else for free so why do you expect me too?

Do you just like to play the victim or what? I am the one who lost money on this deal and you don't hear me looking for sympathy. This is it I wish someone would lock this thread I am done with it.

Dude... i'm not going to argue with you over what is correct and what isn't. I know what shape the bike was in when it was brought to you and i KNOW that it didn't have these electrical problems when it was brought to you. If the bike had more issues with it than just the crank and bearings... then you did not relay them to me. I've made numerous calls to that shop to find out what was wrong with the bike (have phone bills to prove it) and trusted your judgement on the issue. I told you on more than one occasion that i wanted the bike to be in a perfect running condition. I did not get a used motor on YOUR advice because you said i could be right back in the same predicament if the motor was bad. We also attempted to get a used motor before giving you the o.k. to rebuild this one. You suggested rebuilding this because it would be better for you to fix the motor the "Correct" way than to just slap some ol' used motor in there.

Read back a page or two and look at your own pm you sent to me.. it's more than enough to know that what i'm saying is the truth.

Quote:
I talked to falicon and got the tracking # and the crank should be in Mon. It will probably still be another week before your on the road because once the crank comes in I have to measure the rod clearance to order the proper bearing size.

Sorry its taking so long and I appreciate your patience. But it will be tip top when its complete and I know that is what we both want. You will be happy when you get it back.

If you would like to install the big bore give me a call Mon and we can work out the price and we can still have it complete in the same time frame.
I have no reason to lie in this matter. What good does it do for me to lie about minor issues (the wiring) and whatnot. Why would i want to come after you for no reason? All i wanted was a, in your own words "Tip-Top", bike when it came from your shop. You continue to try and paint me as a "Poor" person who just wanted free work. Well... your wrong buddy.. i wanted the work done CORRECTLY w/e the price. I was willing to pay, even if it were over time if need be, to have this bike in a road worthy condition. You quoted Brandon a price to FIX the bike at $1200 dollars and thats what we all went with. Had you qouted 1500 or 2000 guess what... we would have had to go with that aswell. Don't try to shift the blame of money and how much you lost out on because of your own mistake. Your a business and every business has to turn a profit.. everyone knows that but.. be a man and address the FACTS when you make a mistake. It shows true GOOD charactor.

On more than one occasion i thanked you and Brandon for the assistance that you were lending a new bike owner that had a sour sitiuation. I never once asked for anything for free. Never once.. asked for anything half-assed. Only thing that i've wanted from the get go was to have the engine repaired. Why just the engine? .. cuz that was the only thing that was wrong with it.

It is near impossible for a new rider to take a bike and run it with NO CLUTCH and ride it home. Unless Brandon is a wizard of some sort.. he seemed to pull out of his own parking lot and run the bike WITH A CLUTCH. I rode it home WITH A CLUTCH. When the bike spun the bearing.. i used THE CLUTCH to bring the engine down to prevent further damages to the motor. When i get the bike back from your shop THE CLUTCH doesn't work. ?????? Just magic i guess.

The engine still has a knock in it. You "claim" that i just didn't want to fix those problems because i didn't have the money. If that were the case... wouldn't i buy a cheap used motor and just slap that in there. Would have saved money and a whole lot of headache. But i listened to YOUR advice and opted to go with rebuilding it because you told me that you would make the engine run as if it were brand spanking new. Little did i know you were lying about that. As it stands now.. i should have bought the used engine and rolled the dice there. I bet my odds were much better.

All in All.. lesson learned.. do not trust some people. Get a second opinion from a neutral source. Always get all quotes on repairs IN WRITING.

@Chris.

Man.. i appreciate the offer but i'm not yet at the point of cutting and running. Trust me.. you will be the first on my list. If i need help with anything i'll be sure to get ahold of ya. Appreciate ya being around.

@dbuckzx7 & bdmpastx..

I appreciate the offers. I'm always down for learning how things work and how to do the work myself. I will keep y'all in mind.

I'm done with this thread. nuff said.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #92
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Sounds like you have plenty of people offering to help you out on this. I'm good with wires, if you buy some beer I'll bring my soldering iron and voltmeter out. Lets get that bad boy back on the road. You may need to look into a cam chain tensioner (not hard to add, try and get the manual one but I'm not sure if there is an auto tensioner for your year model). Kawis have cam chain noise and always will. My '05 has a slight tick, but I'm use to it. It isn't a death knock but a manual tensioner will help with the noise. Owning a bike is not cheap and it definitely isn't a financial investment you can expect a return on, but it is an investment in happiness. Lets just focus on what you need to get back on the road and tackle that one by one.
Dub_B83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #93
Killing Hours
Derka Derka

Bike(s):
94' zx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_B83
Sounds like you have plenty of people offering to help you out on this. I'm good with wires, if you buy some beer I'll bring my soldering iron and voltmeter out. Lets get that bad boy back on the road. You may need to look into a cam chain tensioner (not hard to add, try and get the manual one but I'm not sure if there is an auto tensioner for your year model). Kawis have cam chain noise and always will. My '05 has a slight tick, but I'm use to it. It isn't a death knock but a manual tensioner will help with the noise. Owning a bike is not cheap and it definitely isn't a financial investment you can expect a return on, but it is an investment in happiness. Lets just focus on what you need to get back on the road and tackle that one by one.

Agreed.. thats what i'm working towards. One step at a time. I didn't know that the cam makes noise so i learn something new everyday. That may be the noise i'm still hearing. I just sounds like something is still rattling around in the engine and the last time i heard something similar the bearing spun. I'm still very new to owning a motorcycle and have lots to learn. I understand they are a huge investment and cost money to own a bike but the return on that money is much more than can be put into words.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #94
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Hours
Agreed.. thats what i'm working towards. One step at a time. I didn't know that the cam makes noise so i learn something new everyday. That may be the noise i'm still hearing. I just sounds like something is still rattling around in the engine and the last time i heard something similar the bearing spun. I'm still very new to owning a motorcycle and have lots to learn. I understand they are a huge investment and cost money to own a bike but the return on that money is much more than can be put into words.

+1

Send me a PM and we will make a list of things to do and go from there. Lower engine repair sucks, at least that is out of the way. I understand the whole older first bike syndrome, I went through it too. Best bet is to do the minor work yourself. You may learn the quirks of your bike better that way and will be more apt to deal with them if your bike gives you troubles again.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #95
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

no edit button...

I just spent nearly enough to buy a brand new bike on repairing my wadded up ZX6R but it was 100% worth it.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #96
Killing Hours
Derka Derka

Bike(s):
94' zx7

Will do brother. Like is said... i'm always down for learning. I can fix all kinds of stuff on cars/trucks but motorcycles are a new frontier for me. Appreciate it.

Advertisement