MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
BZridin59

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 Honda Shadow 750
02 Honda Shadow 750
07 Gsxr 600

motorcycle license

Trying to get some info on attaining the class M license. Can i do this in one day? does it have to be scheduled? i would like to take a day off work and be able to get it all done, the written and road test. but i am hearing that now you have to take an approved safety course (around $200) that is a 2 or 3 day event before you can take the written test. having trouble getting the info i need online. any factual knowledge on this? i already know how to ride i'd rather not spend 200 bucks on a safety class.
BZridin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcycle license BZridin59 How To's and Q & A's 6 06-07-2015 05:15 PM
Motorcycle license Texasbeast General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 05-28-2014 10:25 AM
Motorcycle license Thearmyman83 Super Motards 7 05-23-2014 10:57 AM
Motorcycle License MotoMonkey General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-10-2012 10:15 PM
Motorcycle License...... gasaraki General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 07-10-2007 08:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

you need to take the MSF basic riders class first

google it

2 day class, clsot about 180 bucks, they provide the bike and lid
urbanXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Yes, you have to take the MSF Course in order to get your license. We recommend it anyhow as you learn quite a lot. We have 2 sponsors here that give members a discount if you use them. Awesome Cycles and MRH. Check out the sponsor section.

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
BZridin59

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 Honda Shadow 750
02 Honda Shadow 750
07 Gsxr 600

alright man, appreciate it!
BZridin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
dylan
lolwut

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
HD Iron
Yamaha R6

you dont have to take the written test at the dmv anymore, or the riding test. The class covers all that
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
you dont have to take the written test at the dmv anymore, or the riding test. The class covers all that
So the written test is taken at the class now?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
rodneeking

Yup, all you do is bring your certificate to the DPS, pay the fee and you got yourself an M on your license.
rodneeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Enroll into a MSF class which takes two days. As long as you show up on time (early just in case), and pay attention, there's no reason why you shouldn't pass. Also, if you do come in late, you will forfeit your class and ride time so that will be money wasted as you will have to schedule a time to go out and do it all over again..... Once you get done, they will give you a certificate of completion which you take to the DMV to take the test and then once you pass, you get the M license which will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks.... I got mine within 2 weeks plus they give you that paper one in the meantime. I recommend Awesome Cycles if you're in the North side as they are really knowledgeable and work with you but any will do.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
scoutguy
pack leeder

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Written test has been waived as of January 12th of this year. Everything is done in the class now-both riding and written. A one day class is in the works and the curriculum has been approved by the state, but only available to experienced riders. If you have no experience you have to take the BRC, usually a 2 day, or 3 day course.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
LifeRocket7

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy View Post
Written test has been waived as of January 12th of this year. Everything is done in the class now-both riding and written. A one day class is in the works and the curriculum has been approved by the state, but only available to experienced riders. If you have no experience you have to take the BRC, usually a 2 day, or 3 day course.
I was wondering why I didn't have to take the written when I went in to get my class M. My buddy did, who got his in Oct or Nov. He was slightly annoyed
LifeRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeRocket7 View Post
I was wondering why I didn't have to take the written when I went in to get my class M. My buddy did, who got his in Oct or Nov. He was slightly annoyed
Annoyed? He has no idea how much of a PITA getting your M endorsement used to be.

1) Go to DMV, take written test. Pass.

2) Go back on Thursday (and only Thursday), be there when the door opens (7:45AM) in order to get one of the limited time slots (10:30AM, ), and schedule your driving test. Go home.

3) Go back fifteen minutes before scheduled time (this is now your third trip to the DMV), and have with you a motorcycle with proof of insurance, a car with proof of insurance, and a licensed driver for said car.

Before the driving test begins the DPS trooper inspected both vehicles, your helmet, the insurance paperwork, and the DL of the driver you brought. In my case both vehicles were brand new, so he couldn't find anything wrong, and my roommate was a good sport about the inconvenience. The trooper really gave the vehicles a hard look too. This was not a cursory inspection.

Finally we're off, with my roommate driving his car behind me, the trooper in his passenger seat giving him instructions on when to honk to make me execute turns in front of them.

Whether you had taken the MSF course or not was of no interest to them.

You had to really want your M endorsement back then. The DMV was going to make you work for it.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Yup. That was a
Old 03-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
Shrevej8

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr

I got my liscience in Louisiana there is no required msf course and no training required I walked in to the dmv signed in took the computer test and a "road test" which just had me pull out of the parking lot and then turn right back in at the next entrance so only like 600feet of driving and park then I paid my 16$ and got my endorsement when I moved here they even put it on my new texas dl for free
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #14
silverslug00

Member Garage

How long does your msf certificate last after you pass the class?
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverslug00 View Post
How long does your msf certificate last after you pass the class?
2 years.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #16
LifeRocket7

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
Annoyed? He has no idea how much of a PITA getting your M endorsement used to be.

1) Go to DMV, take written test. Pass.

2) Go back on Thursday (and only Thursday), be there when the door opens (7:45AM) in order to get one of the limited time slots (10:30AM, ), and schedule your driving test. Go home.

3) Go back fifteen minutes before scheduled time (this is now your third trip to the DMV), and have with you a motorcycle with proof of insurance, a car with proof of insurance, and a licensed driver for said car.

Before the driving test begins the DPS trooper inspected both vehicles, your helmet, the insurance paperwork, and the DL of the driver you brought. In my case both vehicles were brand new, so he couldn't find anything wrong, and my roommate was a good sport about the inconvenience. The trooper really gave the vehicles a hard look too. This was not a cursory inspection.

Finally we're off, with my roommate driving his car behind me, the trooper in his passenger seat giving him instructions on when to honk to make me execute turns in front of them.

Whether you had taken the MSF course or not was of no interest to them.

You had to really want your M endorsement back then. The DMV was going to make you work for it.
Well dagum lol. I'll be sure to relay that next time any griping comes up. Sheesh..... That's intense
LifeRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement