MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Austin field trip: how to lobby

Hey, I just had a thought - what about a two day trip to Austin for the following:
  1. Spring's the perfect season for a country ride
  2. The state capitol buliding in Austin is a stunning piece of architecture & great place to visit
  3. The state legislature is in session right now, and there's a lane splitting bill that could use our support
  4. People might be interested in learning how to get around the capitol & legislative annex, and how to constructively lobby for things you're interested in (bike, second amendment, more welfare programs (kidding!))

I was there last Friday, going office to office to hit legislators up for support for the lane splitting bill as well as some 2A issues. Struck me that a) it's really easy to do, and b) more people would probably do it if they had the opportunity to get a tour & a demo of what's involved.

Does this sound interesting to anyone here? We'd need to leave Houston Friday morning, to get to the capitol early afternoon while the offices are still open. Or, when the House lane splitting bill is scheduled for a hearing before the transportation committee, we'd go up whatever that day is (or the afternoon before, more likely). That way we can help fill the room w. supporters during the committee hearing, *and* hit up individual representatives' offices while in town.

I find it really rewarding to go roam around in the capitol talking w. reps. If you think about it, only 20-30% of the electorate bother to show up & vote. Then once a congress critter gets into their office, they only hear from a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of their constituents, most of whom go back to watching American Idol instead of paying any attention to the legislature. That means that any contact w. them about bills under consideration has a much larger effect, since you're now one of a much smaller # of voices they actually hear from. And while email/phone calls/faxes are better than nothing, actually turning up IN PERSON is even better.

Last edited by rhenriksen; 03-09-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typos
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post: