MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #21
nwall1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 aprilia shiver 750
2002 cr250 (sold)
2003 rc51 (sold)

fjr i could see better for two up but 60k is quiet a bit of miles. if taken care of properly i wouldnt see to much of a problem if it was for a good price

i really like both the fj09 and fz09. i love the naked look. the head wind at 85 and up bothers me some on my shiver. i wish i had the newer shiver with the windscreen. im sure your used to that seeing your bike list. the fj09 looks to be a better option for longer highway rides. if i were looking for a longer haul bike the fj09 would probably be the one. light weight and plenty of power to pack all your on to get the job done.
nwall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found my first bike! blu-u22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 04-11-2011 04:58 AM
they found my bike! Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 03-25-2007 01:11 PM
I found your bike..You Know Who.... FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 90 07-15-2005 09:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #22
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
So Im getting closer Will go take a look at some this week....Im torn though...The FZ09 can be had for $8500 OTD and then outfitted with a hard trunk for $500 or the FJ09 seem to be $10.5 OTD without luggage

I also have an offer from someone to buy their FJR1300...only issue with that is it has 60k miles which isn't a lot for that bike its just more than any bike Ive ever looked to buy....
If it was down to these two I would suggest the FZ-09 and use the 2 grand for the suspension upgrades it needs. stoltecmoto can sort it out for that much.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #23
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Really nice
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #24
Jaynvius1

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
If it was down to these two I would suggest the FZ-09 and use the 2 grand for the suspension upgrades it needs. stoltecmoto can sort it out for that much.
2 k worth of suspension upgrades? Wow, that would really steer me away from the bike completely.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #25
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynvius1 View Post
2 k worth of suspension upgrades? Wow, that would really steer me away from the bike completely.
Have not ridden it so take that advice as worthless if you want. I don't see the 2K in upgrade in the FJ-09 anyways. Windshield, better fairings, same suspension, brakes, plus a few convenience items.

So the suspension upgrade would be the same for both bikes.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #26
Jaynvius1

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Quote:
Have not ridden it so take that advice as worthless if you want. I don't see the 2K in upgrade in the FJ-09 anyways. Windshield, better fairings, same suspension, brakes, plus a few convenience items.

Ah I see. I have no clue on those but really want to get into them. Just browsing for more info. Thanks man.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #27
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

60k miles on a well maintained FJR is nothing. I have 105k in mine and it runs strong. Lots with 200k on them.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #28
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:

suspension is not the same on the FJ and FZ....but nonetheless its still undersprung as most OEM suspension settings are. I doubt that one would really have to get the upgraded suspension if they are not trying to win a track day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
60k miles on a well maintained FJR is nothing. I have 105k in mine and it runs strong. Lots with 200k on them.
I was going through the FJR owners forums last night...seems to be a lot of 200k+ FJRs out there....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #29
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

The FJR is pretty bulletproof and a strong runner. The torque is very addictive. I still grin every time I fire mine up.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #30
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

The Gen I FJR is the easiest bike I've ever owned to do my own maintenance on.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #31
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

i got dibs when Adam sells it in 6 months!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #32
False

Quote:
suspension is not the same on the FJ and FZ....but nonetheless its still undersprung as most OEM suspension settings are. I doubt that one would really have to get the upgraded suspension if they are not trying to win a track day.....
What about the FJ has you willing to spend 2K more on it? The bike is heavier so I'm sure they have increased the spring rate etc. but the travel is identical.

You can put hard bags and a windshield on the fz.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #33
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
What about the FJ has you willing to spend 2K more on it? The bike is heavier so I'm sure they have increased the spring rate etc. but the travel is identical.

You can put hard bags and a windshield on the fz.
good question.....Im trying to get in this Sport Touring kick for one....better seating for my wife, longer fuel range and the electronics....but I am having a hard time coming to grips that I am about to take that plunge into sport touring. I had a zx14 that my wife loved to ride with me, had it set up for touring but really never went on any long distance rides like I talked about...Honestly Im just confusing myself even more talking about it lol

Old 04-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #34
FJWhip

Well, I don't think you will be able to drive out on a new FJ09 anytime soon. They have beed recalled and dealers are now allowed to sell until they are repaired. Not clear how long it will take Yamaha to supply new parts?

For what it is worth, I sold my FZ1 to get the FJ. Big mistake even without the recall. The FJ has lots of torque, but the inline 3 sucks.
FJWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #35
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

What's the recall for?
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #36
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJWhip View Post
Well, I don't think you will be able to drive out on a new FJ09 anytime soon. They have beed recalled and dealers are now allowed to sell until they are repaired. Not clear how long it will take Yamaha to supply new parts?

For what it is worth, I sold my FZ1 to get the FJ. Big mistake even without the recall. The FJ has lots of torque, but the inline 3 sucks.
yea whats the recall for?

And you are the first Ive read or heard say the 3-cyl sucks....can you elaborate?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #37
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Found it:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/04/09...gearbox-issue/
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #38
FJWhip

Quote:
yea whats the recall for?

And you are the first Ive read or heard say the 3-cyl sucks....can you elaborate?
I think the inline 3 just does not have much top end power. Low end, yeah. For me I would rather keep an inline 4 in the higher RPM range to get the blast of torque. Just seems to me that the inline 3, on the FJ at least, does not have enough power. Also, if you look at carrying weight capacities, it is all but impossible for two-up riding w/ bags unless you both are skinny as .

I know in all but the "A" mode, the thing is a pig. To each his own I guess. I know a lot of people live them in some other forums. I do like how light it is, very flickable.
FJWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #39
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
I think the inline 3 just does not have much top end power. Low end, yeah. For me I would rather keep an inline 4 in the higher RPM range to get the blast of torque. Just seems to me that the inline 3, on the FJ at least, does not have enough power. Also, if you look at carrying weight capacities, it is all but impossible for two-up riding w/ bags unless you both are skinny as .

I know in all but the "A" mode, the thing is a pig. To each his own I guess. I know a lot of people live them in some other forums. I do like how light it is, very flickable.
EVERY magazine that has tested it LOVES that triple because of the low rpm power, which is what it was designed for.
But you don't. Hmmmmmm
Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #40
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
i never get this. My 500cc twin scooter took me and debra to california with sidebags, tunnelbag, backpack on front fairing, console bag, and underseat storage, to California and to Colorado (with a dog). I never needed more power, maybe just lower rpms.

Advertisement