Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Forum Updates & Feedback
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer
talk all you want, express all opinions of riders in general, but dont talk about MH rider in a bad light. Keep that to PM's
My observation (opinion) is that it's a very fine line to walk, and part of the drama MH seems to suffer from more than other forums.

When you have riders on here talking about riding without licenses or suspended licenses or regularly running triple digits on the public streets, we condone that by not saying anything to the contrary. Sure you can respond to such reckless behavior "in general terms" but those riders know who you're referring to them and will always respond back personally. And the drama ensues.

And keeping responses to PMs means that the public face of MH condones those actions. A guest here would only see the posts that refer to all the wreckless actions and none tempered with responsibility. That then creates a self fulfilling prophesy because guests decide whether or not to join a forum based upon the attitudes and culture they observe. If the majority of posts have to do with extreme wreckless behavior then you'll likely keep attracting the same riders and habits. And unfortunately is just takes a few "vocal" individuals to shape the image.

It really depends upon what type of image and culture MH wants to have. If you want to promote responsible and fun riding then you're going to have to start more proactively stopping the posts about wreckless behavior, maybe even banning people. Or on the other hand, just let it run its course and MH will evolve into a place for those who choose to ride that way.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks MH Members! CaligoneTx Off Topic 5 06-08-2010 07:49 AM
THIS IS WHAT SOME MH MEMBERS NEED... TREE Off Topic 5 05-23-2009 10:02 AM
something i could see MH members doing Gryphin Off Topic 13 02-11-2009 11:03 PM
who? any MH members? H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 08-24-2008 10:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #22
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Del, you're right on the money with that, but the only problem is that it's too easy for people to follow. Some just feel it's their duty to call out other people. I say if they didn't affect you as an individual then who gives a ****.

Have fun @ work!!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #23
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
I think MH is startin' to take a turn down the sh*tter. A few bad apples will rotten the whole bunch. My 2 cents....leaving thread.

+1 on this one!!

I call out ANYONE or ANYTHING that poses a DANGER TO FELLOW RIDERS and even the squids who look up to misguided information!!! I would appreciate someone giving me the same courtesy!!! I don't give a about the rest!

Ya'll have a GREAT WEEKEND!!!!! SEE YA ON THE TAILSPIN!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan
My observation (opinion) is that it's a very fine line to walk, and part of the drama MH seems to suffer from more than other forums.
When you have riders on here talking about riding without licenses or suspended licenses or regularly running triple digits on the public streets, we condone that by not saying anything to the contrary. Sure you can respond to such reckless behavior "in general terms" but those riders know who you're referring to them and will always respond back personally. And the drama ensues.
And keeping responses to PMs means that the public face of MH condones those actions. A guest here would only see the posts that refer to all the wreckless actions and none tempered with responsibility. That then creates a self fulfilling prophesy because guests decide whether or not to join a forum based upon the attitudes and culture they observe. If the majority of posts have to do with extreme wreckless behavior then you'll likely keep attracting the same riders and habits. And unfortunately is just takes a few "vocal" individuals to shape the image.
It really depends upon what type of image and culture MH wants to have. If you want to promote responsible and fun riding then you're going to have to start more proactively stopping the posts about wreckless behavior, maybe even banning people. Or on the other hand, just let it run its course and MH will evolve into a place for those who choose to ride that way.
The reason for this particular thread is because of one individual who seems to be criticized over and over. This individual does not take it personal nor does this person feel the need to prove themselves. With this being said, it would be just great if some of the guys/gals weren't so quick to criticize someone for their actions, but instead to help the individual (if they are willing to receive help). If this was at all possible then this forum wouldn't be such full of drama but more of actually what it's suppose to do; to educate other motorcyclist.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #25
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan

Good one....

I for one agree with that to an extent. If you cant understand that posting up about riding recklessly on the street is not tolerated on here, this is not the place for you. This site chris started, I believe in my opinion, was for like-minded individuals to share in the riding experience's we all truly appreciate. I mean, YES, we all or most have done things not to the "T" when it comes to publicly riding on the streets, but that doesnt give the right to anyone to come on here and post about it.

I know when I stunt, and if I take it out on the streets, wont be whole-heartedly welcomed by some, but I expect more than most times, that if I were to post up about it on here, I wouldnt be welcomed with a positive response. I do what I like to do, and sometimes that includes wheeling on the streets, but I dont want to have every tom, and harry trying the stuff I do. I have more experience with riding like that and wouldnt try to influence anyone else to do so in a manner that requires them to put they're life or someone else's, in harm.........

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #26
A303

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
So whats the debate Del? Whether or not to call people out on their choice of riding style?
July 25, 1977 - April 22, 2007
You will be missed.
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #27
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

No. More of like give your opinion onhow you feel people should inform about certain riders, they're abilities and so forth etc. etc.

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

If i can, I'd like to link to a post on sportsbike.net that comments in regards to posters and 'advice'. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=307569

"I've been the moderator of the New Riders' Forum for a year or so now and I've seen a lot of guys with little experience trying to teach other people. Sometimes the advice they offer is good, based on something they read or a course they've taken. Sometimes the advice they give is bad and is based on too little seat time. This is likely to get someone hurt.

In my opinion the current "free-for-all" system is not really working to educate new riders who need real, solid advice. I think new riders should be free to contribute, but I think that their advice needs to be given the appropriate weight against the opinions of other, more experienced people.

Therefore, to help sort out the experienced guys from the new guys, I am encouraging regular posters in this forum - people who like to give others advice - to post their Riding Resume. Let's see how everyone stacks up.

The format, more or less, should be:

Quote:
Handle:tmkreutzer

Year bought first street bike: 1986

Type of bikes owned: 1983 Kawasaki KZ550, 1978 Suzuki GS850G, 1988 Kawasaki KE100, 1969 Yamaha DR125, 1979 Honda CBX, 1988 Honda CBR250R, 1994 Honda CB1000, 1991 Suzuki GSXR1100 (cuurent)

Certifications/Classes Etc: Current drivers licenses with unlimited motorcycle endorsement for WA state and Japan. No Classes.

General Experience: I've been a street rider for around 20 years, have had a bike pretty much the entire time. I have ridden and driven in several different countries and never had a serious accident in a car or on a bike. "

As for asking opinion/advice on someone else? Kind of tough, but I think the key issue /problem are insults, and people wanting to argue opinions... post your feeling, opinion...politely, without direct insult/personal attack... and post once only. Don't comment are argue with someone else about their commentary, you can do that in PM's.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #29
fly_737

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 r6

you will never be able to controle anyones actions except your own. no matter what you say or do people are going to do what they want.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #30
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
i know everyone is going to hate to hear this but .....

ITS JUST A FORUM
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #31
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #32
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Look. I like MH because it gave me the oppurtunity to meet a TON of new friends that i NEVER would have otherwise met. Ever. I've been a member of public forums since they were invented (all Nissan Zcar message boards until i got a bike) and this is nothing new. Same , different site. There will always be drama and -stirrers no matter what you do, but the owners (in my honest opinion) really need to treat this more like a business: If someone is in your cereal, get rid of them. It's better for the "business", and better for the community as a whole. Give them a fair warning, tell them to shut the **** up, and if they don't, perma-ban. After all, it's THEIR dollar being spent-NOT OURS-for us to have a common place to meet and shoot the on a daily basis, only to have some assheads mess it up for everyone by them off. I am very appreciative of what the creators of this site have done for us. I personally haven't "contributed" to the site or its members. Why? Because I don't know about bikes. What do I have? Jokes and funny sig pics. That's it, that's all I got...for now. But it's a good a thing that I'm allowed to be here not knowing shiz about a motorcycle...it gives me the oppurtunity to learn. Not just from the site, but from the peeps that I meet along the way.

And as far as people getting hurt trying to keep up with other riders...WHY? Why are they getting hurt? I went riding with Candy and some others the other night, and they left me behind. Did I feel obligated to keep up? Nope. Was I embarassed? Nope. Just met them back up at pp1 and all was good. Did I go home and see my wife and kids at the end of the night? YOU RIGHT I DID. My riding experience consists of an entire six months. I bought my bike brand new in November of 06, having NEVER ridden a bike before, and it was another four months before I took the MSF and finally got my class M. I've never layed it down. Not even once.

What was the point of all that? The point is that it's NOT a matter of experience. It's a matter of maturity. I don't care how old you are, or if you've been riding for twenty years or two months. A lack of maturity is what will get you killed. You guys can preach about "knowing your limits" all you want, but to those that just wont grow up, it'll never sink in. When you yell "take it to the track" or yell at them about gear or whatever the case may be, all you're doing is adding fuel to the fire. I know that accidents still happen to GOOD and LEVEL-HEADED riders, but that's not what I'm talking about. You guys know what kind of riders I'm referring to.

Anyways, that's all I got to say about that.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #33
speepdaedeesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
[SIZE="7"]My whole debate is the same as some other MH members. If you are riding with a group and dont feel comfortable, then dont ride with them. I know it sucks when we have to make another rider down thread, but if you dont want that to be you, dont ride outside your ability.
um how about dont break the law and ride like your on a track unless your on a track. thats really the bottom line. its not about ability. you cant stereotype every rider down as not having the ability to ride a certain way. ive seen newbs AND awesome riders die here. its not about riding ability. its about how people who speed and ride recklessly by stunting on westheimer or even on the freeway, are putting their own lives in danger, as well as the lives of those around them.i dont care how good your skillz are, accidents happen. the law is the law and you cant justify breaking it by writing off law breakers by saying complainers should shut up and ignore it. some people here might actually care that others are riding carelessly day after day after day and its stupid to say, well if you dont have skillz to speed and break the law, then dont do it, but i have mad skillz so its ok for me to ride like an idiot in public.

thats one of the biggest problems i have with this issue. im not going to say ive never broken the speed limit, but theres a difference between opening it up at 4am because you know there isnt anyone else on the road, accelerating to a high speed, then decelerating back down and continuing on, and just riding like your in a stunt video all the time..

i wonder how many posts on here contain the three letters RIP. im sure its in the high hundreds. its just sad for me to see all the preventable death on here caused by wreckless unlawful riding, then see it blamed on newbness or gear. i bet one out of 10 deaths on here were under the speed limit. honestly.
speepdaedeesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #34
speepdaedeesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84
I feel it should be more focused though, such as just to try to drill into the heads of newbies that they need to be comfortable with themself before getting into group rides, or something similar..
keep up the good work, hope I did not distract form the focus.

im not calling you out bro.. but this post also has the same tone as alot of opinions ive seen here. ideally its kinda wrong to say.. well the noobs need to know how to ride better before they break the law by speeding on the freeway with a group of us who intend on speeding on the freeway, because our experience makes it ok. at least it sounds more wrong when worded that way, even though it means the same thing. theres a point alot of people are missing about what needs to happen for less people to get hurt or die. its responsible riding. the problem with responsible riding is everyone has a different opinion on what that is. you might think its full gear, experience, and a well maintained bike+150 plus on 610= less likely to die, where as someone else might think its full gear, experience, and a well maintained bike + the speed limit= less likely to die.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #35
speepdaedeesi

no edit.. lol. last thing then im done.

the problem is where the two opinions collide. its true if your not ok with people riding a certain way, dont ride with them. its also true people should respect each others opinions, because everyone is entitled to one.

but there is a difference between right and wrong. and that cant be argued. we dont write the law, and we dont decide when it is or isnt ok to break it. dont get me wrong.. im not some emo *** here living with mommy.. ive been to jail, ive totaled a bike, etc. so dont think im saying all this looking down on anyone for doing what they want to do. im just saying as far as people dying goes.. its usually a matter of right and wrong.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #36
speepdaedeesi

ok i lied.. one more before bed..

all its gonna take for this site to be ruined, is the right death, where someones family member gets angry and blames his death on this site, then gets the media involved, and then....

like ive said before ive lurked here for as long as dubwear has been around, he got me into the site shortly after he got on. i started out coming here to see who bought what bike and who was selling what bike... but now i come to see who wrecked what... and thats not good.

alright soapbox is over.. man i get long winded when i drink lol.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #37
knee_dragger

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoYoHpd
report me....

but why is it that all the postwhores make a thread and say DO NOT THIS THREAD

but they all the other ones up.....

that is all...
HAHAHAHAHA
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 AM   #38
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
So,, what??

What?!??!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #39
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew
i know everyone is going to hate to hear this but .....

ITS JUST A FORUM
+a bajillion

best post so far.... buncha folks gettin their panties in a wad over what? Some words posted online? weeeeeeeeeeaaaaak...
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement