MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Got an inspection yesterday on my work vehicle. No new sticker given, just the piece of paper. Said the state will have a record of it when I get a new registration.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No more inspection stickers! Brian2006 General Discussion (Moto Related) 56 07-03-2014 04:31 PM
No more Inspection Stickers CBR_TRAN Off Topic 42 06-19-2013 02:54 PM
stickers rick Off Topic 3 09-26-2007 07:22 AM
inspection stickers #1 stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-28-2007 11:14 AM
Stickers? 50cc chick General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-17-2007 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #22
Mando
My backpacks got jets

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 600
'06 DRZ400SM (Sold, miss it)
2007 SV650S (Sold)

Hopefully this rolls over to bikes. About to register my new to me gixxer

Rider formerly known as The DRiZzle
Mando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #23
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

My only issue with this is that the inspection has to be done within 60 or 90 days of registration? My inspection is due, but registration isn't due until August. If I get the car inspected today, I'll have to have it done again in about 5 months just so I can register. I'll chance it and just wait.

, I'm not entirely happy about it being instated on bikes as well, as I've never actually bothered getting a bike inspected (about 10 bikes total over the last 8 years) and never had a cop say a single word about it. It sounds like I'll actually have to now, at least on the bikes that don't qualify for "antique" tags.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #24
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
My only issue with this is that the inspection has to be done within 60 or 90 days of registration? My inspection is due, but registration isn't due until August. If I get the car inspected today, I'll have to have it done again in about 5 months just so I can register. I'll chance it and just wait.

, I'm not entirely happy about it being instated on bikes as well, as I've never actually bothered getting a bike inspected (about 10 bikes total over the last 8 years) and never had a cop say a single word about it. It sounds like I'll actually have to now, at least on the bikes that don't qualify for "antique" tags.
The 90 day thing only applies starting March 2016 if you register before inspection. You will not have to inspect again in 5 months. Just take proof of inspection with you in August in case it can't be verified electronically.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #25
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #26
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
The 90 day thing only applies starting March 2016 if you register before inspection. You will not have to inspect again in 5 months. Just take proof of inspection with you in August in case it can't be verified electronically.
so the state is giving away 5 (or however many lapsing) months between 2015 inspection and registration in 2016? If this is the case, I will take the wifes Tahoe to be inspected. I told her to play the 7 months pregnant with twins angle if she is stopped.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #27
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
so the state is giving away 5 (or however many lapsing) months between 2015 inspection and registration in 2016? If this is the case, I will take the wifes Tahoe to be inspected. I told her to play the 7 months pregnant with twins angle if she is stopped.
The only thing the state is "giving away" is if your 2015 inspection is due after your registration. Example: Reg goes out in April '15 and inspection is due in August '15. Your inspection is current when your reg is due, so you will have up to 90 days after April '16 to re-inspect.

If your inspection and registration are due in the same month, you will have to inspect before you can register.

If your inspection is due before registration (even after March '16), you must inspect regardless of the time until your reg is due. The only time you are allowed to let inspection lapse (and the only time the 90-day window applies) is the the example I gave.

Last edited by pinball; 03-05-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #28
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
PARDON my ignorance....my head is being pulled in 3 different directions at the moment. wifes inspection went out 12/14. Registration is due 5/15. Can't I just let her roll dirty until right before May registration and get inspection done once? I was trying to avoid inspecting in Jan 2015 and then having to perform an additional inspection when the registration came due (because my head is telling me the state isn't gonna prorate 7 months of a paid inspection sticker).
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #29
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

You won't get a registration renewal notice without a valid inspection in the DMV database. They'll send a letter saying you need inspection, and she can be ticketed if she's stopped.

Even if you inspect now, you'll never have to pay for more than one inspection in a year. You would just inspect every March and register every May for as long as you own the vehicle.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #30
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

I guess the easiest way to explain it is that if your inspection goes out before or the same month as your registration, you will never be able to take advantage of the 90-day window and must inspect before you can register. In your case, dbuck, you could have inspected in December and been just fine because inspection would be current at the time of registration. That's all they care about. For you, it would just have been:

Insp 12/14, Reg 5/15
Insp 12/15, Reg 5/16
Insp 12/16, Reg 5/17

And so on, just like you currently register and inspect. The only thing that would change for you is that there won't be an inspection sticker on the windshield.

Last edited by pinball; 03-05-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #31
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
I guess the easiest way to explain it is that if your inspection goes out before or the same month as your registration, you will never be able to take advantage of the 90-day window and must inspect before you can register. In your case, dbuck, you could have inspected in December and been just fine because inspection would be current at the time of registration. That's all they care about. For you, it would just have been:

Insp 12/14, Reg 5/15
Insp 12/15, Reg 5/16
Insp 12/16, Reg 5/17

And so on, just like you currently register and inspect. The only thing that would change for you is that there won't be an inspection sticker on the windshield.
I thought the whole point of that 90-day window was that since you only have one sticker, going forward, the vehicle had to be inspected within the 90 days prior to registration, period. The existence of a 90-day window indicates that if you were inspected in March and registration is due in August, you'll have to get a new registration sometime between June-August in order to renew registration in August going forward. I understand if there is a grace period for this year, but I don't see that being something standard going forward.

Such that, if you renewed your inspection 5 months ago and registration is due 4/15, you are good for this year. When registration is due 4/16, you have to complete inspection within 90 days prior to registration to be allowed to renew.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #32
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I thought the whole point of that 90-day window was that since you only have one sticker, going forward, the vehicle had to be inspected within the 90 days prior to registration, period. The existence of a 90-day window indicates that if you were inspected in March and registration is due in August, you'll have to get a new registration sometime between June-August in order to renew registration in August going forward. I understand if there is a grace period for this year, but I don't see that being something standard going forward.

Such that, if you renewed your inspection 5 months ago and registration is due 4/15, you are good for this year. When registration is due 4/16, you have to complete inspection within 90 days prior to registration to be allowed to renew.
Ugh...they can't even get straight between their site and FB.

Going by their FAQ page and a downloadable flier I just found, you are correct. Beginning March 1, 2016, you have to inspect within 90 days prior to registration. I hate conflicting information. BRB.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #33
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Alright...2016 is a sync up year. The same rules apply for 2016 as 2015. In dbuck's case, he could have inspected in December '14 and wouldn't have to reinspect until within 90 days prior to May '16. His exact example is in this PDF:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...87519884,d.eXY

Quote:
Example:
1. Vehicle receives
a passing inspection in December 2014. The inspection
expires in December 2015.
2. The vehicle registration expires in May 2015. Registration can be renewed
in May 2015 because there is
a current and passing inspection at the time
of registration.
3. A May 2016 registration sticker is issued to represent the vehicle’s new
inspection and registration expiration date.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #34
acjei
aka A.C. Jizzle

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati 848 Evo
04 R6-sold
01 Zx6r-sold

Quote:
The only thing the state is "giving away" is if your 2015 inspection is due after your registration. Example: Reg goes out in April '15 and inspection is due in August '15. Your inspection is current when your reg is due, so you will have up to 90 days after April '16 to re-inspect.

If your inspection and registration are due in the same month, you will have to inspect before you can register.

If your inspection is due before registration (even after March '16), you must inspect regardless of the time until your reg is due. The only time you are allowed to let inspection lapse (and the only time the 90-day window applies) is the the example I gave.
thx for the info

Advertisement