MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #21
Longnguyen

Feedback Rating: (0)

rip guy, i will have to voice up and say that......if i were to vote i would vote against the msf. madatory. Not because i dont think its a good class, although i learned nothing in the class maybe others do, but its the point that are required to take the class.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've looked high and I've looked low.... ScooterTrash Off Topic 4 06-21-2010 04:25 PM
I've resigned to the fact that once again I've voted for the loser logan5 The Circus 20 11-05-2008 03:52 PM
I've never seen anything like this before... Seth General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 04-16-2007 05:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longnguyen
rip guy, i will have to voice up and say that......if i were to vote i would vote against the msf. madatory. Not because i dont think its a good class, although i learned nothing in the class maybe others do, but its the point that are required to take the class.
Why is that? We make young drivers take driver's ed. Sure the older ones can get a license without taking a test but there's a BIG difference between driving a car and riding a bike. Following your logic, we shouldn't require pilots to take flying training. Anyone would be able to show up and start flying. I don't know about you but I don't want any yocal to be able to fly without some training. For that matter, I'd say the same thing with driving.

As some one pointed out... Driving/riding is a privilege, not a right. There's nothing wrong with making sure people are properly trained before getting on public roads.

And you learned nothing in the MSF class? Absolutely nothing? So before the class, you knew the entire curriculum ranging from evasive maneuvers to a detailed explanation of counter steering all the way to how alcohol affects the body? Wow.

Not trying to bust your , but I'm just posing some questions.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #23
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

+1 on the pilot thing. A majority of pilots are very responsible because of the amount of money they paid and time invested to get the cert... that can be taken away for good in just an instant. Make drivers go through the same training and maybe they wouldn't be as stupid and have as many accidents or be as agressive.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #24
Longnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan
Why is that? We make young drivers take driver's ed. Sure the older ones can get a license without taking a test but there's a BIG difference between driving a car and riding a bike. Following your logic, we shouldn't require pilots to take flying training. Anyone would be able to show up and start flying. I don't know about you but I don't want any yocal to be able to fly without some training. For that matter, I'd say the same thing with driving.

As some one pointed out... Driving/riding is a privilege, not a right. There's nothing wrong with making sure people are properly trained before getting on public roads.

And you learned nothing in the MSF class? Absolutely nothing? So before the class, you knew the entire curriculum ranging from evasive maneuvers to a detailed explanation of counter steering all the way to how alcohol affects the body? Wow.

Not trying to bust your , but I'm just posing some questions.
you do not learn the same thing as you do in pilot school as you do in msf.
in the pilot school you are "trained" to operate the plane plus all the safety checks, the msf does not really teach you how to ride persay, only a few eceptions like braking in turn, sudden stop watever. that is the extent of the msf as far as riding....the rest is about safety not detailed riding skills.
and yes i did not learn anything in msf.......not because i was a know it all........most of the stuff was so common sense it crossed over....i dont drink so i can care less about the alcohol part but i still knew it.....why? because I had to learn it for driving and also being a bartender tabc blah. and countersteering was already in my head because i rode many yrs before class m, evasive maneuvers is learned while riding in dirt as kid and jumping over stuff, hard turns/brakes. riding in ruts and it makes you swiggle
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #25
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
So what you're saying is you've had a few years experience. That makes you the exception, not the rule.

If you had never been on a bike before in your life and took the MSF, I'm pretty sure your views on it would completely different.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #26
Longnguyen

That i will agree with you turbo, its all comes down to using your senses. almost everything in msf you have learn in some form from everyday life. maybe except countersteering. what i dont like about making the msf mandatory is its not even that good of a ........requirement. whats the max time you spend on the msf on the bike, not so long. when you compare to pilot, driving, scuba diving, watever.......those classes put you in the operator seat more. the msf doesnt, so now you go out and take msf if required, you would think you know how to ride which is not the case eventhough it was passed law to make it before you got your M.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #27
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Other problem I could see with making any class required, is that opens the door to CC restrictions based on age or time, like Australia and parts of Europe already have.

In some cases that would actually be a good thing, but in most it wouldn't.

I just think more emphasis needs to be placed on some sort of rider training and a license before you can hop on a 175hp missile and fire it down the road.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #28
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch
Other problem I could see with making any class required, is that opens the door to CC restrictions based on age or time, like Australia and parts of Europe already have.

In some cases that would actually be a good thing, but in most it wouldn't.

I just think more emphasis needs to be placed on some sort of rider training and a license before you can hop on a 175hp missile and fire it down the road.
already have that in CA, they have a M1 and M2 liscense. one is for 500cc and less
Old 06-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller
already have that in CA, they have a M1 and M2 liscense. one is for 500cc and less

Sad thing is, once CA starts, it is only a matter of time before it trickles down..

remember emmisions? :confused2
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #30
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

yep, I hated being in CA, it is even against the law... due to emissions, to have a coal burning cookout... has to be propane or you can get ticketed!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #31
Longnguyen

ahahahahhahahaha.......soon it will be outlawed to fart...too much methane output.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #32
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Sad thing is, once CA starts, it is only a matter of time before it trickles down..

remember emmisions? :confused2
Let's not go there... California's air is incredibly dirty. Last time I was in LA the street signs didn't reflect because they're covered with a dingy gray coating just from the smog alone. And they've got the health problems to back it up as well. They have a right to work on cleaning their air.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #33
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan
Let's not go there... California's air is incredibly dirty. Last time I was in LA the street signs didn't reflect because they're covered with a dingy gray coating just from the smog alone. And they've got the health problems to back it up as well. They have a right to work on cleaning their air.

Great....

Now explain what that "standard" has to do with, say, Greeley CO?

... just sayin', ya know? :confused2
Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #34
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...anyone recall hearing on the lcoal news, that the fed gov't gave houston another extension on their deadline to meet pollution/air-quality 'standards'.

The original 'date' being 30 years ago.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #35
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
...anyone recall hearing on the lcoal news, that the fed gov't gave houston another extension on their deadline to meet pollution/air-quality 'standards'.

The original 'date' being 30 years ago.

Helps to have that ol' Big Oil support... yup!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #36
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Now explain what that "standard" has to do with, say, Greeley CO?
Not exactly sure what you're getting at and I don't want to start a heated debate. I'm just saying with the urbanization and population growth of the world I would look at California as the early warning system.

If they're having problems with pollution now, we will likely have those problems in the future due to our own growth. It wouldn't hurt us to learn from them and begin to avoid things before we have to take drastic measures. Whatever they may be. A little moderation is all I'm thinking about.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #37
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

What I am saying is there seems to be a "if it's good for CA, it must be good for the rest of the country" trend going on for a while now.

And a lot of the things that are applied to other states and cities are more of a knee jerk reaction than an actual need for a response.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #38
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
What I am saying is there seems to be a "if it's good for CA, it must be good for the rest of the country" trend going on for a while now.

And a lot of the things that are applied to other states and cities are more of a knee jerk reaction than an actual need for a response.
Well some of that may boil down to more of an economics/capitalism in some cases. Since California's population is so dense (one of the reasons they have pollution problems) that also means there's a lot of consumers there. If you have to change your product to meet the CA specs it may represent a big enough portion of your market that it's just easier to change it everywhere. For example, my 97 Civic sold to me in Texas met 99 California emissions. Honda just decided it was easier to make one vehicle for them all.

As with anything you have to look at it on a case by case basis but if CA is an early indicator of problems yet to come our way, it may not be a bad idea to follow their lead on some things... Otherwise you end up with things like Houston's clean air requirements being postponed again.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #39
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

pass all the laws and legislation you want but you can't legislate common sense.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #40
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Helps to have that ol' Big Oil support... yup! "

What id like to see is a measure of air-polllution caused by vehicles...
Civie vs govt.. Ie: PDs & Metro & compared to the refineries, plants etc in/around houston.... and who's had to foot the bigger load/impact.

Advertisement