Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
GrandmasBoy
did i break it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Holy fishtail. Learning how to brake

So i went from sport bikes to my first cruiser and rode 200 miles on my highball this saturday. Holy fishtail! I almost crashed twice by using front and rear brakes at the same time. Switched to using the front brake only, went through a few red lights and stop signs because i couldnt stop in time. Decided to go back to slowing down with gears and it worked great. after 150 miles everything was smooth with the gear shifting but i am still nervous on what to do if i need to stop quickly. This fear caused me to ride about 3 carlengths behind everyone.
GrandmasBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning to ride! ducwife75 General Discussion (Moto Related) 110 04-18-2013 01:22 PM
Field for learning in CDN_bacon Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 04-09-2012 07:36 PM
Holy brake prices shock 90 5.0 Performance and Modifications 7 06-18-2008 10:05 AM
Learning to stunt Dcar89 Stunters Lounge 160 12-18-2006 02:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

but what kind of tire pressures are you running?
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It's a transition going from a sportbike to a large cruiser.
On the cruiser you will have to use both brakes.
If you're locking up the rear I'd recommend learning how to modulate the pressure a little better. Try practicing your emergency stopping in a empty parking lot.
You may also want to adjust the rear brake pedal height if it's uncomfortable.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You may also want to consider replacing your tires also
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I would never be closer than 3 car lengths behind someone anyway, but sounds like you just need more practice panic braking. +1 to the empty parking lot.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
blyx
n00b

Bike(s):
15' Victory Hammer
11' ZX10R (sold)
13' Ninja 650 (sold)

I picked up a Victory Hammer Saturday after selling my ZX-10 a few weeks ago. The transition will take some time for sure, rode about 100 miles yesterday, and the biggest surprise was how close the pegs are to the ground. The breaks are pretty stout, light engine breaking along with gently applying both breaks and you slow pretty darn fast.

I'm not above spending sometime in a parking lot relearning some stuff.
blyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

You will get used to it. I think it shocks everyone coming off a sporty bike. You use much more rear brake on a cruiser than you do on a sport bike. Downshifting and engine braking helps too. You can get them slowed down pretty quick once you get used to it but it's never going to stop like a sport bike.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

You must be doing something really wrong. Generally speaking cruisers are usually much more tame and easier to handle than a sportbike. I'm curious how did you almost crash. front or rear lockup?

My biggest problem going from cruiser to sbk was the difference in turning. You have to force the sportbike to turn. Where as the cruiser will practically fall into the corner. So after a few hundred miles on my new sbk I got back on the old cruiser and almost laid it over at the first turn I took leaving my neighborhood.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Gigolo Jason

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

I guess I am lucky because i didn't have these issues when I transitioned. Under normal driving I only use my front brake and turn-ins are not an issue.

GJ
Old 02-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Easy to lock the rear on a cruiser since the brake pedal is in a much more convenient position to stomp the out of it. No way you should be blowing lights and stops signs on front brake only if you're going posted speeds, though. You went from a dual 4-piston setup on the Z1k to a single 4-piston and gained 200 pounds. You'll have to squeeze the front much harder than you're used to, but it'll stop.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Stricken55
Zoom Zoom

Bike(s):
12' Stratoliner Deluxe
RC51 SP2
FZ6R (sold)
SV650 (sold)
KLX250SF (sold)

I usually just use the front brakes on my stratoliner. The only time I use the rear brakes on it is during slow turn maneuvers.
Stricken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
tlrmike

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
2005 Honda CRF450R

The Hammer has some pretty decent brakes. It shouldn't take long to get used to the added weight and new riding position.

Great machine btw.

Slower than I used to be, faster than I need to be!!!
tlrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
blyx
n00b

Bike(s):
15' Victory Hammer
11' ZX10R (sold)
13' Ninja 650 (sold)

Grandmasboy - We need to get a Victory ride together. A High-Ball and Hammer are enough to turn heads, I wonder if there are more V's that would be interested.
blyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
Scorpio1177

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
01 Harley 883 custom
09 ZX 10 (gone)
2005 Victory Hammer

I have an 05 hammer
Scorpio1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #15
GrandmasBoy
did i break it?

Everyome has grrat input! I would love to respond to all of you but ill just say a few things relating to the posts. First off im typing on my phone atm so its not gonna be everything I would normally say.

1. Yes I do need to practice more and more, I will try the parkimg lot, as I have no qualms with that. If rather be in a lot all day and save my life than think im to good gpr it and crash.

2. When I did ride it was saturday when the rain was awful. I was soaked all day and delt with pelting sting rain... and it was worth it!! This may have contributed to the lack of stopping power with the brakes.

3. yeah!! These victorys will turn heads!! Lets get together and ride! Im down for any ride also but im loving this victory! Already bought basani pro turn outs from moto unlimited and I should have them intalled before the weeks end. How about a weekend ride?

4. You guys are awesome! Keep up the helpful comments! Always appreciated! Thanks yall!!

5. Murica!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
GrandmasBoy
did i break it?

Oh I.forgot to mention tire pressure, well idk what im sitting at but the same day I had a 23 point inspection and all.was well so.im assuming they are normal
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #17
GrandmasBoy
did i break it?

Also, I was rear wheel locking. Maybe its all due to the slick watery roads of the day I rode on.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #18
GrandmasBoy
did i break it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BeastMaster View Post
You must be doing something really wrong. Generally speaking cruisers are usually much more tame and easier to handle than a sportbike. I'm curious how did you almost crash. front or rear lockup?

My biggest problem going from cruiser to sbk was the difference in turning. You have to force the sportbike to turn. Where as the cruiser will practically fall into the corner. So after a few hundred miles on my new sbk I got back on the old cruiser and almost laid it over at the first turn I took leaving my neighborhood.
I was really good at using my body on my zed. I rode in cali so I learned how to lean and it became second nature. My was either to the left or right of the bike half the time. With this cruiser I feel as if I shouldnt adjust my body at all but rather adjust the bike. Am I wrong? Teach me the ways oh masters of houston riders!!

Ps. Holy fucksticks can people not drive here!!! I amost forgot that blinkers existed on cars after a day of riding!!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #19
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmasBoy View Post
I was really good at using my body on my zed. I rode in cali so I learned how to lean and it became second nature. My was either to the left or right of the bike half the time. With this cruiser I feel as if I shouldnt adjust my body at all but rather adjust the bike. Am I wrong? Teach me the ways oh masters of houston riders!!

Ps. Holy fucksticks can people not drive here!!! I amost forgot that blinkers existed on cars after a day of riding!!
You're wrong. Adjust your body, not the bike. If you really want to dig in, throw a cheek off the seat and go. Biggest difference will be head position. You're not really aiming for the mirror like you are on a non-cruiser. Aim for halfway between your and the handlebar. Aim your shoulders into the turn (just point your chest in the direction you SHOULD be looking) and you can ride the out of a cruiser.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #20
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

For a bit of reference, double posted in turns is more than attainable on a cruiser.

Advertisement