MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #21
Squeaky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
What part of learning to ride a motorcycle for y'all included a page in the handbook that said "Bike Must Go Fast" ? What's wrong with doing the speed limit and just enjoying the miles you put on while on top of your machine?

t can happen regardless of what speeds you ride at, you're just multiplying your chances the faster you go. Period.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just like all the other threads... HMFIC Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 4 01-03-2010 10:14 PM
two threads? 06fairedfz1 Off Topic 6 05-01-2009 05:33 PM
how many threads bunxx Off Topic 11 04-28-2009 12:50 PM
ORN police release new accident suspect sketch [JUSTIN GUY ACCIDENT] Hayabusa1300cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-05-2008 02:27 AM
TO MANY FS THREADS....... Gimpin2Fold Forum Updates & Feedback 11 12-29-2006 02:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #22
falxzzr

Bike(s):
'07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Send a message via AIM to falxzzr Send a message via MSN to falxzzr
Is this thread gonna matter?

are any of the others gonna matter?

you would like to think so but people in general are just.plain.stupid. period.

(not saying everyone who has ever went down is stupid, and not pointing fingers. just making a point that human beings are known to do stupid illogical stuff always)

i got no kickass sig :(
falxzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #23
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_B83
Yeah, I feel for that guy that got hunted down by the tire. That is the only "freak" accident I have read about since I have been lurking and even a member.

I still hope everyone from last night is OK... So far it sounds like everyone will live to ride another day.

I think that there's a member here (won't mention their name) who wrecked after having a diabetic(?) blackout while riding not too long ago. They didn't even know they were diabetic if I remember correctly. Just woke up on the side of the road having dumped their bike - that's pretty freakish.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #24
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by falxzzr

NO and um let me think about that one NO
Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #25
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:

They might, they might not. If we respond to threads like this as if they don't matter, then the newbies who are seeing it for the first time will think "eh, it's just a load of cr@p cuz even the ppl posting here don't believe in what they say".

I preach gear and safe riding to whoever will listen (and lots that don't).

Last year fter a slow paced/easy ride with six bikes and seven people, the couple 2-up on a touring bike (old phart bike) that only had helmets went out and bought jackets with armor. They said they hadn't known all of the options before and were impressed with our stance on gearing up.

Try to be a positive influence on at least one rider out there. If we all do it, there just might be less uninformed noobs who just didn't know any better.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #26
level5
moving chicane

Quote:

you would like to think so but people in general are just.plain.stupid. period.

(not saying everyone who has ever went down is stupid, and not pointing fingers. just making a point that human beings are known to do stupid illogical stuff always)
None of this matter. Just our ways of expressing our inner emotion.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #27
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
They might, they might not. If we respond to threads like this as if they don't matter, then the newbies who are seeing it for the first time will think "eh, it's just a load of cr@p cuz even the ppl posting here don't believe in what they say".

I preach gear and safe riding to whoever will listen (and lots that don't).

Last year fter a slow paced/easy ride with six bikes and seven people, the couple 2-up on a touring bike (old phart bike) that only had helmets went out and bought jackets with armor. They said they hadn't known all of the options before and were impressed with our stance on gearing up.

Try to be a positive influence on at least one rider out there. If we all do it, there just might be less uninformed noobs who just didn't know any better.
They are right some will listen most will not.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #28
AWD
Cruise'n

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
None of this matter. Just our ways of expressing our inner emotion.
at least you tried.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #29
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
at least you tried.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
I realise the number of newbs on motohouston is outnumbering the experienced riders 10 to 1 and i see newbs giving advices all day...
there is always someone more experienced then u, and sadly in the motorcycle world it always comes down to experience not the size of ur biceps or the cc of ur bike, i have no shame asking questions to more experienced riders like godsuki carbonr1 patrick to name a few... and if you really think night riding is safe 'with a group or not' my prayers are with you ...
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #31
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

I wonder the same thing man but i have finally realized that i can say all i want but in the end, the only person i can keep safe is myself. I ride in my limits and dont act an out there. I love riding but i also love living so i know my limits!
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #32
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversatisfied02
I wonder the same thing man but i have finally realized that i can say all i want but in the end, the only person i can keep safe is myself. I ride in my limits and dont act an out there. I love riding but i also love living so i know my limits!
+1 if i wanna go fast, ill go to the track, if i wanna wheelie ill go to a lot
Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mercy f4i
Good thinking. Don't forget you can wheelie at the track as well.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #34
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
I continue to insist that we get the mini pulling wheelies out of every corner for TMGP.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #35
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I continue to insist that we get the mini pulling wheelies out of every corner for TMGP.
:laughing6 :laughing6
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #36
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_B83
The old forum I was on up in MN we had some minor spills but not like I have seen in Houston. I believe it when people tell me that Houston traffic/streets are the most dangerous in the country.
It's not just Houston
I'll probably be flamed for saying this, but that will only go to prove my point/observations.

Houston streets certainly help contribute to the high accident rate but MotoHouston in particular has a much higher accident rate than any of the other forums that I have regularly participated in over the last two years. Here, wrecks are a weekly occurrence, while they are virtually unheard of on the other forums I frequent. And yes, those forums have Houston riders.

Attitudes and Habits
In my opinion, most of the wrecks here have to do with attitudes (regardless of age) and riding habits. I'll have to be honest and say that overall this board has a "squidly" reputation among other non-MH riders I know. It is partially due to the fact that the most active people here are on sports bikes and they seem to draw a different mentality. (But you don't have to have that mentality. It's your choice.)

I'm offering this as an objective perspective. I know several riders here in Houston that have been riding the streets and commuting every day for years. Some of these guys are more hardcore than I am and actually don't even own cars. But they are successful in surviving all this time because they have the proper attitude for street riding, the discipline to keep themselves safe, and the ability to still enjoy riding without it being on the edge.

The answer doesn't have to be "Take it to track", but it can be "Ride one way on the streets and another on the track."

So how do you separate the two? Well first it takes discipline. And it also takes education about street riding.

Street Riding
Those that know me know that I have been re-examining my riding skills recently. Entering my 2nd to 3rd year of riding, I am actually at a higher risk then my first 6 months (according to a book I've been reading). I have learned that most of the wrecks/deaths here have been avoidable. In some cases the rider was doing something I would never do on a street. In other cases they were. And that's what scares me. Because it could have been me. But hopefully not any more, because I've learned new ways of thinking about street riding.

If you would like to brush up on your street skills, I suggest the following:
Book -- Proficient Motorcycling
Book -- More Proficient Motorcycling
DVD -- Surviving the Mean Streets (www.ridelikeapro.com)

I intend to post reviews in the Safety Corner section when I can, but I wanted to get these resources out there now.

Conclusion
The high number of accidents here can't be blamed entirely on the streets. It's about control and discipline. That is in your hands and starts right between the ears. Work on those so that you have skills to cope with other riding hazards.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #37
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Good thinking. Don't forget you can wheelie at the track as well.
You didn't mention this the other day Moody! Track soundin' better an better. . .:laughing6
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #38
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua
You didn't mention this the other day Moody! Track soundin' better an better. . .:laughing6
i think you have become addicted to wheelies
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #39
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan
It's not just Houston

The high number of accidents here can't be blamed entirely on the streets. It's about control and discipline. That is in your hands and starts right between the ears. Work on those so that you have skills to cope with other riding hazards.

+1
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #40
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
i think you have become addicted to wheelies
Yeah, at first I was agog every time I came and watched then, for a brief time, it seemed like old hat. Now I've entered that stage where I see them with new eyes and try to pay attention to and appreciate technique. I guess it's like modern dance or ballet: nifty & novel at first, grows sorta boring, and then, as time passes, it becomes something to appreciate for the subtle qualities.

And that's what a girl can bring to the stunt scene: serious minded similies between ballet and wheelies.:laughing6
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement