MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #101
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTT'S FRIDAY!

Your Daily Success Tip - Outlaw Dave - YouTube

Toned that down a bit you should check out his show now. Lock is not on the show any more so not sure if you could follow along you and him are just about on the same level.
Haha. I think i know what you mean, though i have never heard the show.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was happing at Outlaw Dave's tonight? stache General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-09-2015 03:25 PM
2013 Outlaw Dave Ranch Ride to Lonestar Rally Texmex1 Stubbs Cycles "The Original" 4 11-08-2012 05:04 PM
Outlaw Dave Ranch Ride(lonestar rally) brian1570 Stubbs Cycles "The Original" 1 11-01-2012 10:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #102
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Haha. I think i know what you mean, though i have never heard the show.
power of that fire bruh you have taken it to another level where you are all knowing because of the dank.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #103
Classax
Objective Observer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex1 View Post
Again, opinions vary, but a man entered into the Texas Radio Hall of Fame holds a little more credibility than the "man" on the internet bashing him...
WHY? Celebrity does not mean one can give an informed or well thought out opinion, in fact most of the time its an indication of the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Since when in stopped or slow traffic are cars lined up perfectly side by side? Every so often a car will try to change into a lane they think is moving faster. Happens all day every day.

I do a lot of unsafe including lane splitting and I don't care if they pass the law or not, but if they do, more riders will try it and more cars will hit them. When someone dies in a vehicle crash they shut the freeway down. Enjoy sitting in traffic because a rider thought a law protected him.
I have lane split also. I'm not if favor of law to pass because I think it will magically protect me from an accident, only my own judgement and vigilance can reduce that risk. I want it passed so that the clown in his F35million stuck in traffic doesn't feel like he has a right to pull out to stop me because he feels if he has to wait everyone should. It would still be up to us to make sure WE made the pass safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
It doesnt. He's an old has been radio DJ from the rock 101 days. He lives on the am stations now (950 I think). He sucked then aaaaand still sucks now.
First part is fact, second part is opinion. We need more of the first and less of the second around here, which is a fact not an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Is there anybody on MH that have not done this? The fact that I signal my lane changes and do my headchecks doesn't mean squad to most drivers. To them, I'm just another crazy biker that "weave in and out of traffic".

Complain all you want about public perception of motorcycling in general. The reality is not anything anyone of us can do about.
I disagree if we pressure the legislature to pass the law all of us "crazy bikers" who LANE SPLIT are transformed into law abiding citizens.

Weaving in and out of traffic is not the same as Lane Splitting and if you want to impact the public perception here's a few thoughts on lane splitting effectively
  • Wear your gear, preferably bright colors or high vis
  • Be courteous and tuck in your mirrors
  • Don't Rev bomb people with stupid loud exhaust
  • Don't try to take what just isn't there
  • Remember no bike has ever been the winner of a bike vs cage fight
  • SLOW the heck down!! If you think you're a bit fast you're way too fast
  • Try to avoid splitting on two sides of the same lane, at the same time as someone else.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #104
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
Don't see how any accidents would be higher profile if they are at 20 mph. Motorcycle fatalities get about 15 seconds of airtime as it is. Outlaw dave sounds like a right douchebag.
That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

Lane splitting would be permissible if done in traffic jams under 20 miles per hour, but there will be X percentage of insane who will do it at 40, 50, and that's going to make it look like a really bad idea.

7ef578b4e668724485ba633629c5f960
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #105
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

True there will always be Darwin Award nominees no matter what laws there are. Another thing I might point out is that we are in a State wide conversation not just the major Houston metroplex. Like I said if nothing else the law would prevent Johnny wanna be law enforcer from feeling like its his duty to make sure that everyone stays in line because he has to.

( I will never forget the time I was called in to do some emergency diagnostics and repair on a life light bird in the Medical Center and they had an 3 active calls . I'm rolling up on the shoulder at hazards on, brights flashing in my truck and some guy decides to pull into the shoulder to stop me, until traffic was moving again. I pull off the road to go round him and he still tries to stop me.)

Another time coming back from a mid September "moderate" ride one saturday we got stuck in traffic coming down 45 in full leathers and a guy in a truck decides it's his duty to keep us bikers in line by swerving out and almost hitting a rider trailing me as we were splitting. I guess he thought it more important for us to risk heat stroke and death than to filter through the 3mph traffic flow because he could not.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #106
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

While I like the idea of lane splitting, I honestly don't think it will work in the openly hostile/ignorant Houston driving environment, even if it is legal.

, most drivers are ignorant to the changes around them.
Case in point: they changed the lanes at Kuykendahl and Louetta so that the right lane is now right turn only. This is indicated by a huge LED arrow showing it.
People still routinely sit in the right lane tying up traffic because they're going straight, or almost hit someone because the cross lane thinks they're turning but they don't.
I honestly think it's a combination of ignorance and selfishness in that they CHOOSE to ignore the sign.
If people cannot grasp that simple concept of right lane for right turn only, how do you think they'll behave when sitting in traffic and a motorcycle splits lanes?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #107
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
If people cannot grasp that simple concept of right lane for right turn only, how do you think they'll behave when sitting in traffic and a motorcycle splits lanes?
Theres only one way to find out IMO. Why not pass it for 2 yrs or so and see how it pans out?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #108
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Advertising the legality of it will lessen the ignorance

And because it passes doesn't mean you HAVE to partake
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #109
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Theres only one way to find out IMO. Why not pass it for 2 yrs or so and see how it pans out?
I didn't say I was against it, on the contrary, I've written my State Reps. in support of it.
However I just gave my opinion of it's likelihood of success.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #110
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Sit in their lanes like morons just like they sit in the wrong lane oblivious about everything. Splitting doesn't require their compliance.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #111
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
I want it passed so that the clown in his F35million stuck in traffic doesn't feel like he has a right to pull out to stop me because he feels if he has to wait everyone should.
It's still not going to prevent idiots from being idiots or even knowing the law. How many obey the state law that the left lane is for passing only? How many folks are aware that inspection stickers are gone starting March 1?

I think it's going to provide a false sense of security for some riders. Personally, I'm neutral on whether it passes or not.

Last edited by Bevo; 02-15-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #112
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
It's still not going to prevent idiots from being idiots or even knowing the law. How many obey the state law that the left lane is for passing only? How many folks are aware that inspection stickers are gone starting March 1?

I think it's going to provide a false sense of security for some riders. Personally, I'm neutral on whether it passes or not.
Then don't split. You cant worry about everybody. Thats like saying guns are the only thing that kill people. What makes you think that the idiots arent already splitting? How many deaths have you read about, and the cause was splitting?
Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #113
rrozell

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

So I have first hand exp with lane splitting. Lived in San Diego for 9 yrs. (Cali is only state where lane splitting is legal). I think its a good thing. And yes even in the state where its legal some drivers don't know about it. And people do abuse it, blowing down centerline at 70mph through traffic. If you are smart about it its a great thing. I was sitting on 45s last night in bumper to bumper traffic for about 20 minutes (only went like 2 miles) heading back home from cyclegear almeda before I broke and split lanes. I don't know why cars get so mad? Bc they are stuck probally. The problem is stupid drivers who have no idea whats going on around them and the a$$ who doesn't want you to get by. I feel its just as dangerous sitting in traffic sandwiched between 2 2 ton idiots who are texting and not watching anything else. Some lady actually almost rearended me in traffic doing that.

Last edited by rrozell; 02-15-2015 at 02:22 PM.
rrozell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #114
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
I don't know why cars get so mad? Bc they are stuck probally. The problem is stupid drivers who have no idea whats going on around them and the a$$ who doesn't want you to get by.
Frustration of stuck in traffic combined with the thought we are cheating.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #115
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Then don't split. You cant worry about everybody. Thats like saying guns are the only thing that kill people. What makes you think that the idiots arent already splitting? How many deaths have you read about, and the cause was splitting?
The idiots I'm referring to are the ones in the cars in the example that I quoted. They're not going to know about some special law for riders and they're not going to give a .

I'm not worrying about anybody. I don't care if people split or if there is a law supporting it. I'm just explaining what's going to happen in the real world.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #116
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
I feel its just as dangerous sitting in traffic sandwiched between 2 2 ton idiots who are texting and not watching anything else. Some lady actually almost rearended me in traffic doing that.
That's why I ride next to the lane line so I always have an out and I can split when I've had enough bullshit
Liked this post:
Old 02-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #117
rrozell

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

What should be illegal and is way more dangerous than lane splitting is texting and driving. Every person who has come over on me, didn't "see" me, or almost didn't stop before hitting me has been on there phone. That's what makes Houstons roadways so dangerous. PERIOD
rrozell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #118
wheelbender6

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Buddy 125

I won't be lane splitting if it passes. I don't want to get "doored" by a Ram or F-250.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #119
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Regardless if it passes or not, never got a ticket. Actually good cause sometimes I fail to double check 5o see if another rider is coming.

You know what i mean splitters
Old 02-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #120
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement