MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #41
False

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
So cagers opening their doors is the only danger you can think of? Honestly, that particular scenario was the furthest thing from my mind.
Could you expand on the dangers then?

Quote:
Then why pass it at all? Combine the general stupidity of Texas drivers and the overwhelming stupidity of your everyday uneducated rider, this is a very bad idea.

Drivers are already killing motorcyclists and "your everyday uneducated rider" is already killing himself. Do you think this law will do anything except reduce tickets and commute time?
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lane Splitting for Texas! whisk3y General Discussion (Moto Related) 186 12-01-2016 10:51 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #42
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Who's telling anyone how to do anything? I'm stating my opinion like anyone else. So here's a tissue to wipe those tears.

And you don't ride either.
I rode to work everyday this week and I split just about everyday too, so what do you mean I don't ride?

The point is you don't even own a motorcycle, so your opinion is taken with a grain of salt.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #43
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post

Drivers are already killing motorcyclists and "your everyday uneducated rider" is already killing himself. Do you think this law will do anything except reduce tickets and commute time?
Thats the only benefits? "Reduce tickets and commute time?" Pretty thin argument for such a dangerous activity. Well , let's set the speed limit to 100mph, make drunk driving legal, do away with school zones, drivers licenses, registration, inspection and insurance requirements. All in the name of reducing tickets.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #44
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:

Totally agree and when you combine statistics from multiple studies, it's been shown that there are about an equal number of accidents when people split and a smaller amount of serious injuries/fatalities.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #45
False

Quote:
Thats the only benefits? "Reduce tickets and commute time?" Pretty thin argument for such a dangerous activity. Well , let's set the speed limit to 100mph, make drunk driving legal, do away with school zones, drivers licenses, registration, inspection and insurance requirements. All in the name of reducing tickets.
I specifically asked you why it was dangerous. No reply. Your logic would lead to motorcycles being illegal. They are CLEARLY more dangerous than cars. Cars are more dangerous than rail. Make those illegal.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #46
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
I rode to work everyday this week and I split just about everyday too, so what do you mean I don't ride?

The point is you don't even own a motorcycle, so your opinion is taken with a grain of salt.
What difference does that make? None. Not diddly . Fact is, that's all you have to counteract any opinion I may have, which shows how weak minded you really are. Good luck with that.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #47
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
I specifically asked you why it was dangerous. No reply. Your logic would lead to motorcycles being illegal. They are CLEARLY more dangerous than cars. Cars are more dangerous than rail. Make those illegal.
What part of not being able to able split lanes would make motorcycles illegal? Your thought process is about a faulty and weak as Shelly's.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #48
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
What difference does that make? None. Not diddly . Fact is, that's all you have to counteract any opinion I may have, which shows how weak minded you really are. Good luck with that.
Have you ever lane split before? It sounds like you haven't, so my opinion is that you don't really know WTF you are talking about and are just trying to stir up.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #49
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjoyce2007 View Post
Stupid happens with or without this bill passing. Stupid also happens in both sides of the fence. I'd go as far to say that most of us have split at one point or another, and some do it regularly. I do understand that opening doors from the caged traffic is a real threat but let's be honest, how often does it REALLY happen? As far as unawareness or ignorance of drivers, this crowd should be educated as ever as we ride in Houston, and you should take on lane splitting in the same light.
I also mentioned cars squeezing or blocking. That is the most I have had done to me ... but search the interwebzs plenty of videos of people having car doors opened on them to block them. Now some may be flying which is not right either .. but the ole door to block the path does happen.

I also mentioned the normal everyday drivers we avoid now ... they dont go away because of a bill being passed. I know you didnt point me out directly just wanted to throw that out there.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #50
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Does anyone actually refrain from lane splitting simply because it is illegal?
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #51
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
What part of not being able to able split lanes would make motorcycles illegal? Your thought process is about a faulty and weak as Shelly's.

Another guy driving a huge truck trying to run people off the road when they split, I'd imagine...
Old 02-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #52
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Have you ever lane split before? It sounds like you haven't, so my opinion is that you don't really know WTF you are talking about and are just trying to stir up.
Yes I have. I've also done triple digits, driven drunk, littered, texted while driving, etc. Unlike you, I am no hypocrite and expect to pay if I get caught instead of making it legal to do stupid . Again, you have absolutely no logical argument as to why it should he legal, other than yelling "you don't even ride anymore". Fact is, since you do split and refuse to see the inherent dangers, not only to yourself but to others on the road, makes you a complete imbecile on the matter.

Here's another tissue for you.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #53
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Another guy driving a huge truck trying to run people off the road when they split, I'd imagine...
See that happen a lot? Please post links.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #54
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Does anyone actually refrain from lane splitting simply because it is illegal?
Of course not, at least not for those who don't care. Not anymore than rape, burglary and murder being illegal deter thugs. But making it legal could open a whole new can of worms. Those who haven't done it before, will now do it simply because its legal and get hurt.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #55
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Of course not, at least not for those who don't care. Not anymore than rape, burglary and murder being illegal deter thugs. But making it legal could open a whole new can of worms. Those who haven't done it before, will now do it simply because its legal and get hurt.

Riding a motorcycle is legal and guess what those who havent ridden one can get hurt when the first get one. your statements as to why it should not be legal have no ground. You can get hurt doing anything.
If they legalize it tomorrow you have a choice to split or not to split. If we created or ban laws based off one person not liking something, then nothing would be legal.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #56
jrjoyce2007

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 zx10r
2008 V-Strom
2008 ZX-6R -sold-
2007 V900 -sold-
2010 EX250R -sold-

Quote:
I disagree. Pot is legal in some states and I travel to these states a lot. I have no desire to smoke weed. Simply because something is legal does not mean everyone will do it. Riders themselves will assess their situation and make a decision. It's up to the moto community to promote good practice of splitting.
jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #57
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Again, as Rainman use to say...

Last edited by TMAX; 02-08-2015 at 02:16 PM.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #58
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Again, you have absolutely no logical argument as to why it should he legal, other than yelling "you don't even ride anymore".

It reduces traffic congestion. It also provides more incentive for people to actually ride motorcycles, which further reduces traffic congestion and generally means they are using a more efficient vehicle to commute with.

Whether or not it's safer is up for debate, but it seems to be about the same level of danger, only you are actually in control to some degree and not at the mercy of being rear ended.

Quote:
Fact is, since you do split and refuse to see the inherent dangers, not only to yourself but to others on the road, makes you a complete imbecile on the matter.
Can you show me any proof that it is more dangerous, or is that just your gut feeling?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #59
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Those who haven't done it before, will now do it simply because its legal and get hurt.
sound like an Obama lover.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #60
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Likely the only splitting Mikes done is sportbiker route master type splittin. Not commuting splittin which requires real moto skillz

Advertisement