MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #21
jmd4x4

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
XR650R motard, FZ1

Hey scott, well I finally got on this forum. I have to pick up my sprockets for the bike monday, and I will probly get the tires at the same time. I can take some pic's too of my build up of the xr if you want? I will have to stop by next week to see the bike since you have the tires and rims almost done. I will give you a call next week.

later
james
jmd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motoexploration Feeler... Mala Lingua General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-15-2011 09:21 AM
Check out pics from utah supermoto ktmracer Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 09-09-2008 04:39 PM
11-04 Supermoto pics... 56k NO WAY IN Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 02-22-2008 03:12 PM
Supermoto Race Pics TheMagicMan General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-04-2007 06:03 PM
ZX636 feeler? onespeedpaul General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-09-2007 09:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #22
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

I don't how I missed this thread but you've got a vote from me Scott.
Get it on, I'd love to get involved in this project.
Jim
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #23
Mad Max

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84
wow that sucks, hopefully they'll follow through on their end of the paperwork..
YEah, i have DOT tires and basically everything sitting in my garage awaiting operation. I want to legalize it, and i have a title with mine, and a friend that is a sherriff that has a XR650R that he is legalizing also. he says you just need horn, hi/lo headlight and tail/brakelight. I don't understand this since I am a state inspector (for inspection stickers) and to pass inspection by the book you need more than that like turn signals, hi beam indicator, etc..
We'll see how it goes.. have you done the stator rewind yet?
i'm considering running a battery and no stator rewind since it's kick start. battery jsut for head/tail lights.
pics of your CRF?
i posted pics somewhere around here. i believe you will need a mirror in addition to what your sheriff said. haven't done the stator rewind....the bike is torn completely down now. the reason to rewind teh stator is so it produces enough power to run the lights. i don't think you can run full lights with just a small battery and no rewind....look it up over on TT or smjunkie...should be able to find out. i'm planning on getting a rewound stator and heavier flywheel, SMALL battery...like a camera size, and a voltage regulator. stil deciding what headlights / taillights to run.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #24
jmd4x4

Bike(s):
XR650R motard, FZ1

Mad Max is right you have to have at least one mirror, you will have to have a brake pressure switch also, as far as the staror goes if you run the bear minimum, like just the front light and and tail light you wont need a battery. I can post some pic's later of the pressure switch and a couple of other things I have to make a bike street legal.
later
jmd
Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #25
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

I would definately recommend a higher power stator, you can get them from Ricky Stator http://www.rickystator.com/ he is brilliant on this stuff and will be more than happy to advise you on whatever you want to do. If you don't put a rewound stator then you will probably only be able to run a 35W head light that will be dim as heck. If you don't use a significant battery then your lights want stay on for the require 5 or 10 minutes when you shut the engine off. Don't ask me why they require this but they do. Also if you ever want to run LED type lights (signal, tail, brakes) then you want be able to without good clean filtered DC power which is the job of the battery.

I don't know about you but I really like the idea of people being able to see me when I'm on the road and these SMs are already so small that they are really easy to miss. So the more light the better.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #26
c0rey

Bike(s):
450x

Send a message via AIM to c0rey
squanto, please be sure to include all of the information on getting one legal
c0rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #27
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):

Getting it licensed is pretty easy. I've done three of them. Get the lights right, horn, mirror, high beam indicator, a place for the plate to be mounted with a light on it, bring it to an inspection station (preferrably not a mc shop) ask them to inspect it and give you a "green sheet" then take that green sheet and your title to your local court house and tell them that you want to re-title and license your bike for the road.

Often they don't think or know that is can be done but it can they will probably have to call Austin or ask someone how to do it, but it can be done.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #28
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Thanks guys for adding more info to this thread, every bit is helpful. Also I know these guys and I have haerd them name off some good comapnies to go to for parts. Please guys, feel free to add as much info as you want, and anything that I forget. XRCajun knows more about the legalizing thing b/c, as he said, he's done 3 of them! That will be new to me, and that is the reason why my first SM conversion was already street legal, I didn't want to get caught up in that the first try and get discouraged.

James, hope you didn't mind the mention earlier.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #29
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

House of Pain - feel free to ask any questions, or at least let me know what part you need info for... parts selection, wheels, suspension, motor, SM-specific stuff like axle sliders, etc..
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #30
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

The CRF is by no means a street machine, so the street riding would be for very short, daytime bursts. As I said, it will be the last part of the conversion if at all. The CRF motor is a race motor in every sense of the word. Long, high engine speed cruises will be inevitible in houston. If I do the street conversion, I will first have put on a tach and experimented with some radical gearing, since the gearbox is a 4-speed, and stock gearing is like 14/48 or something similar. With the gearing it has now, I would assume that it would PEG OUT at like 70-75. I will try gearing it around 15/40 or 16/40 and go from there. My plan for this bike will be 90% track/10% road.
I'll keep everyone updated. My "correct" spokes should be in monday or tuesday, so I plan on bringing it to the BBQ for anyone that wants to definitely see it, PM me and I'll shoot you my cell #.
Tahnks to all for the intrest!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #31
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

wow I just typed like 2 pages of info and lost it all

:BangHead:
Old 06-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #32
jmd4x4

Bike(s):
XR650R motard, FZ1

Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #33
jar675

Bike(s):
Road king custom
FZ1 Black
XR650R motard
FZ1 Blue

What about a ignition switch? I am planning on doing this when I pick up the bike this week. I am going to order the baja designs kit unless somebody has any better suggestions
jar675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #34
jmd4x4

Bike(s):
XR650R motard, FZ1

You don't need a ignition switch, unless you just want one. The baja kit is not a bad kit and it is convenient. You can do it your self a lot cheaper but you have to peace it together. So it is up to you.
later
jmd
Old 07-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #35
jar675

Bike(s):
Road king custom
FZ1 Black
XR650R motard
FZ1 Blue

Any update Scott? I decided to just ds it for now till the finances get built back up. I am going for the inspection tomorrow. Should change the gearing?
jar675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

awesome project please keep us posted. GL!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #37
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

wow this would be a cool write up
the more I see sm bikes the more I want one
and I think a mini-moto would be a fun project
for sure keep it coming

I'm probably in the same boat as a previous poster, probably won't do one anytime soon, but I can vicariously thru your posts
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #38
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Squanto - I'd like to swing by sometime and see what you think about keeping my XR dirt only or plating it. I'm just so undecided...
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #39
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Squanto - I'd like to swing by sometime and see what you think about keeping my XR dirt only or turning it into a full on SM racer. I'm just so undecided...
fixed :icon_bigg
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad

Last edited by [poser]; 07-16-2007 at 04:23 PM.
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #40
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser]
fixed :icon_bigg
'cept there ain't nuthin mini 'bout a 400!

Well, except maybe the owner's abilities in this case... :confused1
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement