Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
|Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more|
Share This Thread:
|Subscribe to this Thread||Thread Tools|
|02-04-2015, 06:30 AM||#1|
Join Date: Nov 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Sepang MotoGP test times Day one
Marquezs tops the timesheets as Suzuki and Aprilia join the field
REIGNING World Champion Marc Marquez tops the time-sheets at the first MotoGP test of the 2015 season at the Sepang International Circuit.
Thirty riders were on track including the entire 2015 MotoGP grid, except for the injured Yonny Hernandez, as five test riders from various factories collecting more data.
After 63-laps, Marquez's best time of the day was 2:00.262 on his 62nd lap with team-mate Dani Pedrosa 0.483s behind in fifth place. Pedrosa crashed on Turn nine at the end of the session without injury.
The HRC team have factory riders and test riders comparing their 2014 machines and 2015 prototypes. So far, Marquez is 0.024s quicker than this time last year.
Movistar Yamaha MotoGP's Valentino Rossi finished the day in second place only 0.118s behind Marquez. Rossi's team-mate Jorge Lorenzo finished 0.141s behind in third. Both were on similar YZR-M1 prototypes to what they tested in November at Valencia, however Yamaha are continuing to test shorter exhaust pipes which include a grill covering the air exit to hopefully avoid flame escapes and the entry of gravel and other debris.
No longer a rookie, Pol Espargaro finished in sixth despite an early crash. Espargaro's Monster Yamaha Tech 3 team-mate Bradley Smith ended further down the time-sheet in ninth.
Briton Cal Crutchlow started work with his new CWM LCR Honda team and Australian team-mate Jack Miller with the only difference being Miller is on the Open-spec Honda RC213V-Ride Smart whereas Crutchlow has the Honda RC213V. The duo finished 10th and 19th respectively.
Miller paid close attention to the Magneti Marelli MotoGP electronics package to achieve better performance with traction control, whereas Crutchlow was just getting a feel for his new machine.
Fellow Briton Scott Redding finished the day in 11th on the RC213V factory prototype with the Estrella Galicia Marc VDS Team.
Ducati Team comprising of Andrea Dovizoso and Andrea Iannone tested the GP14.3 as opposed to the GP14.2. Main differences included a visually different aspect and electronic upgrades. The new GP15 is due for the second Sepang test scheduled later on in February.
The new Factory Aprilia Gresini team, Alvaro Bautista and the returning Marco Melandri, finished in 15th and 26th respectively. An early mechanical fault for Bautista set him back, but Suzuki test rider Nobu Aoki helped the Spaniard to restart.
Another new (or returning) team to the MotoGP paddock is Suzuki. Despite his knee ligament injury, Aleix Espargaro wasn't phased. Back on-board the Suzuki GSX-RR, Espargaro ran off once and ended the day in 14th only nearly two seconds down on Marquez's team. Rookie and team-mate to Espargaro Maverick Vinales finished down in 21st.
The Suzuki MotoGP team were testing a shorter exhaust pipe like Yamaha, but their factory riders were only allowed to take to the track after their test rider Takuya Tsuda had taken the bike for a lap or two first.
Suzuki also have a shorter exhaust pipe for testing and their factory riders only got started once test rider Takuya Tsuda had given the bike a shakedown early on.
Stefan Bradl and Loris Baz made progress with their Open Yamaha for NGM Forward Racing with Bradl finished the fastest Open rider in eighth - 1.294s off Marquez's time. Rookie Baz finished in 25th.
As one Laverty, Michael, leaves the MotoGP paddock his brother Eugene has joined with the DRIVE M7 Aspar team and finished 22nd overall on the Open RC213V-Ride Smart with his team-mate Nicky Hayden in 17th.
Sepang test - Day one:
1. Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team 2:00.262 62/632. Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 2:00.380 (+0.118) 27/573. Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 2:00.521 (+0.259) 30/554. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team 2:00.617 (+0.355) 36/41
5. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 2:00.745 (+0.483) 25/45
6. Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:00.930 (+0.668) 29/557. Andrea Iannne Ducati Team 2:01.424 (+1.162) 58/598. Stefan Bradl Forward Racing Team 2:01.556 (+1.294) 50/58
9. Bradley Smith Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:01.707 (+1.445) 27/5210. Cal Crutchlow CWM LCR Honda 2:01.713 (+1.451)34/6011. Scott Redding Estrella Galicia 0.0 Marc VDS 2:01.917 (+1.655) 59/62
12. Michele Pirro Pramac Racing 2:01.951(+1.689) 51/53
13. Aleix Espargaro Team Suzuki MotoGP 2:02.225 (+1.963) 42/45
14. Alvaro Bautista Factory Aprilia Gresini 2:02.285 (+2.023) 27/50
15. Hiroshi Aoyama HRC 2:02.560 (+2.298) 45/6916. Danilo Petrucci Pramac Racing 2:02.627 (+2.365) 32/49
17. Nicky Hayden Drive M7 Aspar2:02.699(+2.437) 22/46
18. Hector Barbera Avintia Racing 2:02.700 (+2.438) 28/5519. Jack Miller CWM LCR Honda 2:02.807(+2.545) 53/5920. Katsuyuki Nakasuga Yamaha Factory Test Team 2:03.092 (+2.830) 38/4721. Maverick Vinales Team Suzuki MotoGP 2:03.164 (+2.902) 58/69
22. Eugene Laverty Drive M7 Aspar 2:03.295 (+3.033) 41/46
23. Mike di Meglio Avintia Racing 2:03.878 (+3.616) 34/57
24. Karel Abraham AB Motoracing 2:03.879 (+3.617) 38/45
25. Loris Baz Forward Racing Team 2:04.163 (+3.901) 57/66
26. Marco Melandri Factory Aprilia Gresini2:04.502 (+4.240) 41/42
27. Alex de Angelis Octo Ioda Racing Team 2:04.673 (+4.411)40/46
28. Takumi Takahashi HRC2:04.797 (+4.535) 76/76
29. Takuya Tsuda Team Suzuki MotoGP 2:05.478 (+5.216) 13/18
30. Michael Laverty Aprilia Test Team 2:06.190 (+5.928) 23/28
Sepang MotoGP test times - Day 2
Sepang MotoGP test times - Day 1
Rossi 'motivated after Ducati'
Marquez leads Rossi at halfway mark
Jerez MotoGP test times - Day 2