MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Article : 11 Reasons Why you Don't Want a Liter bike.

http://rideapart.com/articles/11-rea...ce=zergnet.com

By Wes Siler - January 23, 2014
Category: Lists

Literbikes are the fastest accelerating vehicles on the road. Why buy a Porsche for $150,000 when one of these is faster for $15,000? Yeah, no. R1s, RSV4s, GSX-Ride Smart, CBRs and Panigales arenít all theyíre cracked up to be, hereís 11 reasons why you donít want a literbike. Really.

Literbikes Are Different
1) Why Literbikes Are Different

Literbikes, superbikes, 1,200cc V-twins ó whatever you want to call them ó are about one thing: horsepower. When I bought my first one a decade or so ago, it made 118 bhp and that felt like a rocket ship. Todayís bikes are closing in on 200 bhp at the crank and are now topping out at over 200 mph.

With that massive increase in power has come all sorts of technological development designed to tame it. Semi-active suspension, traction control, wheelie control, launch control; itís all designed to turn an unrideable power-to-weight ratio into something that might not kill you. Maybe.

This horsepower war is fuelled by racing, of course, but also got kicked-off last decade as the industry chased its ever more-mature audience, giving them reasons to upgrade their bike every few years or to switch brands in pursuit of the latest and greatest. Trouble is, in the process, the bikes have almost ruled themselves out of relevancy. Hereís why.

Literbikes Make You A Lazy Rider
2) Literbikes Make You A Lazy Rider

Out riding with your buddies? Doing a track day? On a literbike, all of a sudden you donít have to try terribly hard. Want to close a gap? Just open the throttle and unleash the four horsemen of the accelerative apocalypse. , theyíre so fast that you donít even need to shift down a gear or fully open the throttle, typically 20 percent or so of the twist grip will do. Whereís the fun in that?

Literbikes Get Stolen
3) Literbikes Get Stolen

See that news story about the CHP busting a huge motorcycle theft ring in Los Angeles and recovering hundreds upon hundreds of stolen bikes? Watching it, you could literally sit there and go, ďliterbike, literbike, literbike, literbike.Ē There wasnít anything else. Riding one around town, you have to carry a heavy chain, a disc lock alarm and secure the bike both to an immovable object and by both wheels *ó every time you stop. They get stolen from locked garages, luxury condo buildings, secure trailers and in broad daylight. The latest generation of thieves have even begun bike-jacking them, waiting until youíre stopped a red light, then knocking you off and taking your pride and joy.

The Razorís Edge Is Not The Safest Place To Be
4) The Razorís Edge Is Not The Safest Place To Be

To put down 180 bhp or more, the latest generation of tires has had to become incredibly specific. They work pretty well in the dry, so long as you take the time to heat them up, but the wet and cold? Just look at the incredibly minimal sipes for evidence of how thatís going to turn out. All that electronic trickery has been developed for a reason, too. The bikes have become virtually unrideable without its help. On anything but a track or dry, warm mountain road, youíll need to turn down the throttle response and outright power output, turn up the TC and wheelie control, then still ride the bike on virtual tip toes. Any lapse in attention could cause a crash.

Literbikes Arenít Any Faster Than A 600
5) Literbikes Arenít Any Faster Than A 600

In the real world, on real tracks and real roads, cheaper, more exploitable, more manageable 600s are just as fast. I mean come on, your bike might be theoretically capable of 186 mph, but whenís the last time you took it over 120? A 600 will hit 170 mph and get there 95 percent as quickly. Outright lap times on the track are a hairís width apart. So why bother?

Literbikes Make You A Target
6) Literbikes Make You A Target

Rolling around on a loud, flashy literbike isnít exactly a low-key thing to do. Everyone will turn and look, everyone will know youíre up to no good. That includes the cops ó who disproportionately target literbike riders and tend to write them harsher tickets ó and other riders, to whom passing you becomes something of a trophy. Is there anything worse than being that guy at a track day on the fastest bike there, getting passed by some 16-year old on a 250?

7) Literbikes Cost Too Much To Run

The latest generation of 200-section performance tires cost about $300 a set. And youíll need new ones every 2,000 miles. Thatís once a month if youíre riding every weekend during the summer. Figure in service costs for ever-higher performance motors living in ever-more complex bikes, suspension that now needs to be rebuilt when the valves are adjusted (TTX36, anyone?) and chains and sprockets every other tire change. It really does add up. And thatís before you factor in any damage or the sky-high insurance premiums.

Literbikes Are Hideously Uncomfortable
8) Literbikes Are Hideously Uncomfortable

Make no mistake, these are not race bikes for the road. Race bikes have tall windscreens and custom ergonomics tailored to the individual racers, who are sized like horse jockeys and are 20-years-old. Youíre not 20 anymore and youíre likely much taller than 5í2Ē. But, literbikes still arenít built for average-sized men. I donít think theyíre built for humans at all. Showroom fashion dictates tiny screens, paper-thin seats, insanely high pegs and clip-ons so low youíll feel like youíre gripping the front axle. One of the major advances touted by the Panigale is its first-for-a-Ducati ďtraditionalĒ sportbike ergonomics. That means you can actually ride it, but doing so for more than 20 minutes will still leave you with back spasms and numb hands.

Literbikes Compromise Handling For Power
9) Literbikes Compromise Handling For Power

In pursuit of that outright, headline power figure and not immediately killing their customers with it, literbikes go through all sorts of changes that are designed to manage the power, but compromise handling in the process. Reference the Panigales, 1199 and 899 for a perfect example. The bigger bike requires a longer wheelbase and more conservative steering geometry designed to improve stability, but which make it slower to turn. The 1199 is also fitted with a 200-section rear tire to the 899ís narrower, steeper 180. Again, that blunts steering response and speed. The result? Journalists on the 899ís launch unanimously preferred riding the smaller bike, describing its overall experience as ďsweeter.Ē

Literbikes Donít Teach You Anything
10) Literbikes Donít Teach You Anything

If youíre one of those idiots that bought a literbike before first becoming a total riding expert, then all youíve learned in the process is how not to kill yourself. All your efforts, every ride, simply go into managing the power. Youíre not learning squat about riding and as a result, you donít know how to ride well, you simply know how to transport yourself from A to B on your overcompensation machine in some semblance of safety. Sorry, but thatís the harsh truth and itís limiting your outright enjoyment of this sport.

Riding A Literbike Isnít Rewarding
11) Riding A Literbike Isnít Rewarding

When I rode the Ducati 1199 Panigale R down at COTA, I hit 202 mph and got the chance to experience that track before even most MotoGP riders. How did I feel at the end of the day? Lucky to be alive; the experience was absolutely terrifying. Contrast that with riding the Ducati 899 Panigale at Imola in the pouring rain. I actually had fun. I was able to get on the throttle ó hard ó drag knee in the wet and you know, actually ride the bike rather than just manage the power.

Do you ride a literbike? Why?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
11 Reasons you dont need a Liter Bike. Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 05-27-2014 07:50 PM
Stepping up to the bike boys bike(1/4 liter) albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-06-2013 08:13 PM
Which Liter Bike ???? Gomomichael General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 02-17-2012 05:06 PM
This why you don't get a Liter bike as your first bike AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 05-13-2007 11:04 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
ArkansasDave

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

He sounds like a sissy, some of the points are valid but his logic would have us all riding groms.

Also just realized he says the most ignorant thing ever "liter bikes teach you nothing". That's absolutely absurd to say that, the throttle is so hard to manage it needs electronics but it won't teach you anything.

Last edited by ArkansasDave; 02-02-2015 at 11:17 AM.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Sounds like he is more of the vespa type. What a .
Old 02-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

#6 brings back good memories passing folks on my 650 at the track. It stroked my ego even if they were noobs
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
False

All motorcycles make you a target. All are incredibly dangerous. All are huge targets for theft. Race in whatever class you want. Groms are cool too.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Who is going through a front tire every 2,000 miles? I get 2 rears to 1 front. His math is off.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

More importantly who goes through sprockets and chains in 4k miles?
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
DLite
David

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Just a bunch of words he had to put together for his monthly article submission. Wes holds no real credibility.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

author needs to be punched
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
TheFantasticG

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLite View Post
Just a bunch of words he had to put together for his monthly article submission. Wes holds no real credibility.
It's painfully obvious it's just a click farming article with a click farming headline... Fairly certain though I read this last year at some point.
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantasticG View Post
It's painfully obvious it's just a click farming article with a click farming headline... Fairly certain though I read this last year at some point.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285094
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
green600
HG Chairperson

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Wes Siler = TXdemRider

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
DLite
David

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
Wes Siler = TXdemRider

Fo shizzle?
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Author is a douche canoe.
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #15
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
1 reason why it's a repost ^
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #16
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
1 reason why it's a repost ^
My old post lol
Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

B.S.
FJRmgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #18
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT GUY View Post
#6 brings back good memories passing folks on my 650 at the track. It stroked my ego even if they were noobs
And liter bikes make you a target for the cops. 99% don't know the difference between a 600 and a 1000. Half don't know the difference between a 250 and a busa. All they see is CROTCH ROCKET.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #19
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Some officer thought my 250R was a 1K. Tomorrow same time? Lol
Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #20
Marxalot

Bike(s):
2005 DR-Z400SM
2005 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
More importantly who goes through sprockets and chains in 4k miles?
Aluminum sprockets and no chain lube ever?
Marxalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement