MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
greyedge

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
2007 Harley-Davidson Street Glide

Member Garage

Texas Region 3 COC&I Meeting - February 14th

Who: All motorcycle riders - RC, MC, independents, anyone on two/three wheels
What: Texas Confederation of Clubs and Independents - Region 3 Meeting
Where: Hawg Stop - 11335 Sheldon Road, Houston, TX 77044
When: Meet & Greet starts at 12 noon, the meeting starts at 2:00 pm
Why: I've seen a lot of confusion on this board related to what the COC&I is and what it does. There's also a lot of misinformation being spread, as well. Hopefully, I can help with this.

The COC&I is a collection of like-minded individuals who enjoy riding. They are interested with increasing knowledge about motorcycle rights, becoming aware of future and current motorcycle legislation, and working together towards a common goal of motorcycle awareness and safety. It doesn't matter what you ride, what you wear, what you look like, whether you are in a club or not, none of that.

Did you know that the Texas COC&I and US Defenders organized a ride to the Texas State Capital in Austin on January 26th? This ride helped bring awareness to current motorcycle legislative acts that need your support. This includes a bill to allow motorcycles to safely and legally pass through a red light when the red light doesn't change (due to the signal light not being able to detect the motorcycle). This also includes legislation to allow lane-splitting in Texas, which is currently legal in California.

I met an individual from the MotoHouston group at the last COC&I meeting at the Tiki Hutt. He seemed a little intimidated, so I came up and introduced myself. I was glad to see him come out to see what the meeting was all about. Hopefully I will see more next time.

If you have any questions, my e-mail is in my signature.

Ride safe!
Sec/Treas
Region 3 COC&I Information Liaison
greyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston COC&I Meeting Zapata Events, Meets and Rides 0 12-09-2014 09:11 AM
NOLA June 14th & 15th TheBeeDeeGee Taking it to the Track 23 06-13-2014 08:45 PM
Texas CoC - how big is it and why should we care? ravenphat General Discussion (Moto Related) 57 12-08-2010 03:12 PM
february 14th at grandsport ford Ridesmart Motorcycle School 30 01-25-2009 10:35 PM
LSTD: Monday, May 14th @ Texas World Speedway... jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 53 04-20-2007 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Can the COC get a lane splitting measure passed? git r done.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Can the COC get a lane splitting measure passed? git r done.
Maybe.....

http://txcocinews.org/legislative-day.html

From their site:

Quote:
HB 813 (first draft) Lane Splitting/Sharing;State Representative Munoz
Please note: This first draft contains mandatory helmet language that we do not support. Our meeting with Rep. Munoz’s policy analyst on Jan.22 confirmed that they would remove the helmet language in their bill. Final draft is expected soon.
This lane splitting bill refers to the practice of moving between lanes of stopped or slow moving traffic, as not only a beneficial tool in relieving highway congestion, it is also safer for the motorcyclist. In addition to contributing to congestion reduction by the capacity/size differential, motorcycles help to free additional space when lane sharing or “Splitting”. When motorcycles move from the travel lane to the center line, space is created. Here is a quote from the 2010 Oregon Dept. of Transportation review on the subject of lane filtering; “… A potential safety benefit is increased visibility for the motorcyclist. Splitting lanes allows the motorcyclist to see what the traffic is doing ahead and be able to proactively maneuver.”
Studies have shown that it can be 6 times safer for motorcyclists. One study done for the US Dept. of Transportation by UC Berkeley comparing riders in; California, Texas, and Florida, found that motorcyclists are 20% less likely to be involved in a fatal rear-end collision when allowed to lane filter. The 2009 MAIDS (Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study) in Europe (where lane splitting is an everyday way of travel for motorcyclists) attributed a total of 0.45% of all motorcycle accidents to lane filtering maneuvers. – above lane-splitting information courtesy of ABATE of Washington
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Nice. make it happen and I will appreciate th mc clubs.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 AM   #5
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Nice. make it happen and I will appreciate th mc clubs.
You don't need to belong to an MC to participate.

You can join the Coalition of Independent Riders and participate.

http://usdefender.net/coir.html
Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

BUMP

BUMP.

Just a reminder...

Confederation of Clubs and Independents Meeting.

This Saturday, Feb 14th. @ "The Hawg Stop Bar", 11335 Sheldon Rd, Houston, TX 77044

M&G starts at noon, meeting starts at 2:00PM.

Meet and socialize with fellow riders and get information about issues affecting us as bikers! Everyone is welcome. There should be updates about Legislative day 2015 in Austin.

http://thekneeslider.com/texas-consi...ane-splitting/

Advertisement