MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

wr250r

anyone have any experience with these. Going to be looking for a dual sport (mostly dirt). I like the idea of FI and the magic button. I had a wr250f, and it was a great bike, but mine was a kicker, and it was a bear to start hot, and not easy to start cold. lol. Just wondering if anyone has one or knows somebody that does.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Bounce305
The Brasileiro!!!!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000rr

buddy of mine use to race them in CT and he swears by them.. said its one of the best dirt bikes he has ever owned... he is even talking me into buying one as well... which i will be doing in the near future hopefully
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Truckin_Thumper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

First its a Yamaha, so it has that going for it.

Bulletproof, easy to work on, and comfie.

Only thing is, it is gutless as fuckall.

If buying brand new or even a year or so old, I would skip it and get a WR450F
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
redbull

I have the wr250x and the bike is awesome. I road it almost daily all of last year. Took it to the dragon and had a t eating grin for a week when I got back. It will do 65-70mph all day but the seat sucks. I will be getting a set of 21/18 wheels within a month or two for some dual sport riding.

It is a easy button only so make sure you turn the key off if you stop. If not and the battery is a little old you will be push starting it.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
First its a Yamaha, so it has that going for it.

Bulletproof, easy to work on, and comfie.

Only thing is, it is gutless as fuckall.

If buying brand new or even a year or so old, I would skip it and get a WR450F
I dont remember the wr being that gutless. It was lightyears over the xr250 i moved from. Im not a super experienced dirt guy, so i think the 450 will be overkill. If i was going to ride it more on the street i would go with the 450, but it will mainly be a dirt toy.
As for the seat sucking, its expected. Its a dirt bike.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
PushingLuck831

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi klx351sf (sold)
2015 wr450f
2000 Suzuki SV 650 (sold)
themagicman's garage :)
2013 street triple (unicycle)

I bought a klx250SF a few years back (factory supermoto) over the wrx for ONE reason.

with the Bill Blue big bore kit, the 351cc makes way more power than you will ever get from the wr.

I like the looks better on the wr, and its a little lighter and nimbler I think. but the klx was an AWESOME bike and I would recommend it to anyone as well. With the big bore, it was freaking sweet. im a little on the shorter side, and then I was even more broke so a big tard was out of the question.

both bikes are near bulletproof and get the job done.
PushingLuck831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
DT675

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

I have one. Doesn't have a lot down low, but makes decent power up top for a 250. Probably down on power compared to the 250F you had though and quite a bit heavier. E start is nice.
DT675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Mine, an X model, is testament to reliability and flexibility. Low first gear, tall sixth. Fuel injection means it always runs PERFECT. One valve adjustment in 28,000 miles. One leaky countershaft seal, still not fixed. Chains and sprockets. Front brake pads. That's it.

Best part of this bike, stock, is the exhaust is also a catalytic converter, so it never makes you smell like you just rode in. Also, 130 mile fuel range in mixed offraod / onroad on 2.6 gallons is awesome. Everything just continues to work perfect. And, mine is no trailer queen. It's been driven all over big bend, done 1000 laps at GSS and some at MSRH.

I put on a FMF pipe, deleted the in-exhaust valve, and did the snorkel removal and it woke up A LOT, like 5 HP and more torque everywhere. Whole new experience. But, sound concerns on the street made me put it back to stock. Stock it will run even with a DRZ400 or XR400 on the top end, but it lacks the torque. As a gauge, it runs dead even with a Ninja 250 up to 90 MPH. Top speed, 94. Cruises comfortably at 75 - 80.

I rode a KLX250SF. Same performance as a WRX when piped and jetted.

The real deciding factor is....do you want a bike you can lean in the corner of your garage, let it sit 2 years, throw in a $25 battery,and go ride? Or do you want a carbed bike to spill gas, get sloppy, clog jets, and have to mess with to take to Colorado? The WR series is the ultimate no brainer bike.

Now, what I don't know is, how does it compare to the new Honda CRF250F dual sport? That bike is FI, with the CBR250 motor, FI, and Honda reliabiilty for $4499 or so, less on CycleTrader.

P
Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

Guy on here that goes by troublesome (I think) has one and rode with us a few times. We did the ant hills and the other typical Thursday night stuff and he kept up pretty good. Has knobbies on 17's.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #10
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Mine, an X model, is testament to reliability and flexibility. Low first gear, tall sixth. Fuel injection means it always runs PERFECT. One valve adjustment in 28,000 miles. One leaky countershaft seal, still not fixed. Chains and sprockets. Front brake pads. That's it.

Best part of this bike, stock, is the exhaust is also a catalytic converter, so it never makes you smell like you just rode in. Also, 130 mile fuel range in mixed offraod / onroad on 2.6 gallons is awesome. Everything just continues to work perfect. And, mine is no trailer queen. It's been driven all over big bend, done 1000 laps at GSS and some at MSRH.

I put on a FMF pipe, deleted the in-exhaust valve, and did the snorkel removal and it woke up A LOT, like 5 HP and more torque everywhere. Whole new experience. But, sound concerns on the street made me put it back to stock. Stock it will run even with a DRZ400 or XR400 on the top end, but it lacks the torque. As a gauge, it runs dead even with a Ninja 250 up to 90 MPH. Top speed, 94. Cruises comfortably at 75 - 80.

I rode a KLX250SF. Same performance as a WRX when piped and jetted.

The real deciding factor is....do you want a bike you can lean in the corner of your garage, let it sit 2 years, throw in a $25 battery,and go ride? Or do you want a carbed bike to spill gas, get sloppy, clog jets, and have to mess with to take to Colorado? The WR series is the ultimate no brainer bike.

Now, what I don't know is, how does it compare to the new Honda CRF250F dual sport? That bike is FI, with the CBR250 motor, FI, and Honda reliabiilty for $4499 or so, less on CycleTrader.

P
lol thanks man. im pretty set on it just need to buy one.

Advertisement