MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Cog
Member
 
Cog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 33

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours









Change to licensing

FYI: Effective 1/12, graduates of motorcycle safety classes no longer have to take a knowledge test at the DPS to get their license. All someone has to do is take the class, then take the completion card to any DPS office. Pay the fee (I think it's $17) and you get your M on the spot.

One thing to be aware of: you get ONE SHOT at passing the multiple-choice knowledge test in the motorcycle safety class. If you fail it you have to take the WHOLE CLASS OVER. No retests are allowed by DPS! And most places won't let you take the class again without paying for it again.
__________________
".....and I feel just like a cog in something turning."
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new EU tiered licensing RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 07-05-2012 02:07 PM
Licensing: when is it appropriate/inappropriate? the_ruckus The Circus 51 05-09-2011 04:00 PM
CMRA licensing cdill35 Taking it to the Track 126 11-13-2009 09:50 AM
TMGP Licensing? BlackWidow Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 09-06-2007 10:44 PM
Tiered Licensing, What do you think??/ Tumper General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 01-18-2007 11:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 981

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






Interesting, thanks
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor
 
Challen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brookshire/Fulshear, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,516

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R




Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
you get ONE SHOT at passing the multiple-choice knowledge test in the motorcycle safety class. If you fail it you have to take the WHOLE CLASS OVER. No retests are allowed by DPS!
UNLESS the failure was due to a language or reading issue. Then one retest on the written is allowed.
__________________
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









This is great, I passed my test at the safety school but waited too long and went to DPS for M endorsement and failed the computer test up there...hence i dont have my license. To top it off I no longer have the permit that allows me to go and attempt to get it so I definitely have to take the class again, but i am looking forward to it because I like to brush back up on safety skills, i just am sad because HCC is no longer offering their $150 course >_<
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis
 
Zapata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Katy/Conroe
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,615

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by SideVinder650 View Post
This is great, I passed my test at the safety school but waited too long and went to DPS for M endorsement and failed the computer test up there...hence i dont have my license. To top it off I no longer have the permit that allows me to go and attempt to get it so I definitely have to take the class again, but i am looking forward to it because I like to brush back up on safety skills, i just am sad because HCC is no longer offering their $150 course >_<
Great information! Thanks for sharing. I remember when I took the computer test in 2001 it was NOT easy! I don't remember how many questions were in the test but I remember failing the first four questions. The questions were more about specific riding situations than the specific training material at the MSF class. Glad they are getting rid of that.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
K6GsxR
Senior Member
 
K6GsxR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bikini bottom
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 238


Bike(s):
I can ride my bike with no handle bars









Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
FYI: Effective 1/12, graduates of motorcycle safety classes no longer have to take a knowledge test at the DPS to get their license. All someone has to do is take the class, then take the completion card to any DPS office. Pay the fee (I think it's $17) and you get your M on the spot.

One thing to be aware of: you get ONE SHOT at passing the multiple-choice knowledge test in the motorcycle safety class. If you fail it you have to take the WHOLE CLASS OVER. No retests are allowed by DPS! And most places won't let you take the class again without paying for it again.
I maybe wrong but I think you're kind of late. They changed that law 2 or so years ago.
K6GsxR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
40acres
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tomball, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,085


Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by K6GsxR View Post
I maybe wrong but I think you're kind of late. They changed that law 2 or so years ago.
Negative.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Cog
Member
 
Cog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 33

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours









one more thing

You're thinking of the change that happened in 2009, when the legislature made training mandatory and did away with most on-bike skills testing at the DPS offices (except for minors). This part, eliminating the knowledge test at DPS, passed in 2013 and became effective this month.

One other thing that happens this year: the completion cards for the class will only be good for two years, and it is retroactive. That means if you took a class to get licensed more than two years ago, and haven't yet gone to get the license, you'd better do it now. Once that takes effect (and rumor has it that could be as soon as March), any completion card older than two years will no longer work. And that means you'll have to take the class...all over again.
__________________
".....and I feel just like a cog in something turning."
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
green600
HG Chairperson
 
green600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 77045
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,190

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











That kind of sucks.

I got to skip a huge line so I could take my test and get the license in and out in like 30 minutes. I would of been one more of the people waiting if it had not been for that test.
__________________
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
dinogt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 587












Good to know. I need back on 2 wheels and have never actually had the M. Oops....
dinogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,515

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








So pretty much no change then, because that dps test was a JOKE. If you can pass the MSF written but not that, theres something seriously wrong
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy