Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

UIL releases report of top injuries in high school sports

Whether it's football or another sport, more Texas high schools are reporting a growing number of sports-related injuries.

The cheerleaders, the band, the hits and injuries are all part of high school sports.

Just ask Porter Bretches, a junior at Memorial High School. He sprained his ankle on the football field.

"I sprained it by landing really hard on the flat of my foot," he said. "It felt almost like my leg went down into my ankle."

Porter is in good company. In the 2012-2013 school year, more than 1,100 student athletes in Texas reported sprains.

That number jumped to more than 1,800 last school year.

The state's University Interscholastic League, known as the UIL, tracks the number of sports-related injuries in Texas.

Local 2 got a copy of the most recent report

"Sprains are very common in football," West Houston orthopedic surgeon Dr. Carl Palumbo said. "And probably one of the more common injuries in high school sports. A sprained ankle, you hear that all the time. It's a very common injury.

Palumbo treats student athletes for all types of injuries. He says some injuries are just part of the game like the second-most common injury reported.

"Bruises are very common," he said. "It's from a soft tissue. It's from an impact typically.

Other more serious injuries like concussions can lead to dangerous long-term consequences if left untreated.

In the 2012-2013 school year, 322 concussions were reported statewide. The next year, that number went up to 533 with more schools reporting concussions to the state.

Palumbo attributes the rise in reported concussions to awareness, especially with the number of NFL players coming forward to say they sustained chronic head trauma during their years on the field.

"Actually, athletes are aware of what a concussion is," Palumbo said. "So, they bring symptoms to be physician's attention sooner than they did in the past. Now with that, some of them aren't concussions but at least they are bringing those symptoms to our attention so we can evaluate and make sure it's not a concussion."

Palumbo says players are sometimes anxious to return to the field and may not reveal all of their symptoms. But he warns there are potentially dangerous consequences of returning to action too soon.

"There's a condition called second impact syndrome," Palumbo said. "Second impact syndrome is where you have another concussion prior to the first concussion fully healing, which can cause even more significant injury to the brain."

Rounding out the top five injuries -- fractures and dislocations. Whatever the injury, Palumbo says make sure you're healed and ready before coming back into competition.

"I probably came back too early," Bretches said. "But I wanted to play the last week with the team and practice. I didn't really get to play."

Palumbo adds that there are symptoms of sports-related head trauma parents should watch out for. They include headaches and nausea, feeling tired or having trouble focusing in school.

injuries jpg

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote