Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Racing News
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Dakar week one

Spaniard Joan Barreda leads after Stage 7

Dakar week one
Barreda with a broken handlebar

SPANIARD Joan Barreda was leading the Dakar Rally as the gruelling race entered its second week.

Barreda, riding for HRC, finished yesterday’s Stage 7 with a 6m 28s lead over fellow Spaniard Marc Coma, on a KTM.

Barreda had started the stage with a lead of over 12 minutes but lost time after crashing. He rode the last 75 miles with broken handlebars. It was the 2015 rally’s first Marathon stage, in which competitors are not allowed assistance from their team and must prepare their own bike.

Barreda said: ‘It was a tough stage where you had to be careful, but when I came to a muddy section around kilometre 200, while I was breaking before a danger marked on the road book, the bike slid and I crashed.

‘The handlebars were damaged, so I had to do the last 120 kilometres just with the right hand. I was pushing hard to lose a minimum of time, but that was not easy. We are now at the marathon stage, we are a great team and we will solve the problem with my teammates.’

Briton Sam Sunderland made a promising start to the rally with a Stage 1 victory riding for KTM, but was ruled out with a shoulder injury after crashing on Wednesday.

Standings after Stage 7

1. Joan Barreda (Spa), HRC, 25:40.48

2. Marc Coma (Spa), KTM Red Bull, +6.28

3. Paulo Goncalves (Por), HRC, +10.59

4. Pablo Qunitanilla (Chi), KTM at +25.16

5. Toby Price (Aus), KTM Rally Factory, +29.20

6. Helder Rodrigues (Aus), HRC, +33.56

7. Stefan Svitko (Por), KTM Slovnaft, +40.23

8. Ruben Faria (Slo), KTM Red Bull, +40.55

9. Alain Duclos (Fra), Sherco Rally Factory, +50.31

10. David Casteu (Fra), KTM Casteu, +1:16.52

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote