MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Bleeder Nipple Operation; brakes (vs. speed bleeders)

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding the bleeder nipple while bleeding brakes. My apologies in advance if this gets confusing but i am a little confused here:

So, when you're bleeding brakes, or upgrading to stainless lines or anything like that, and require to add or bleed fluid...

Is it NOT a good idea to simply crack the (OEM) bleeder nipple open, (with tubing running to a catch can) and just pump and pump and pump until all air is released?

Im not quite understanding what the difference is here between a speed bleeder and a regular bleeder. I get that the speed bleeder supposedly doesnt let air back into the system but if you've routed your hoses correctly and maintain a somewhat full level of fluid in your reservoir shouldnt you be able to freely leave the bleeder valve open and continually pump fluid out of the system to flush any old fluid/air out?

I under stand part of the reasoning behind the pump/crack/close method, (to pump up pressure so the air is forced out right?) but im still not convinced that a speed bleeder is even necessary if you follow the same method of leaving the bleeder open while being careful to make sure your hose doesnt draw the fluid back in along with air, nor let your reservoir run out of fluid and suck air in that way.

So long as I dont suck air in from the reservoir or draw air/fluid back in thru the hose, shouldnt I be able to crack open the bleeder nipple and pump it until all old fluid/air is flushed out of the system? (one caliper at a time, until all calipers are completed, whether this be on a motorcycle, car, truck, atv., whatever... right?)

Just curious here, because if this is the case, and I just be extra careful im not going to worry about speed bleeders. I often find that with some patience and organization my brake bleed jobs (with OEM setup) arent all that hard anyways. Just wanting to make sure.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Genital and Nipple piercings. elephant head Off Topic 28 01-14-2010 10:22 AM
Want to borrow brake bleeder BYRDMAN How To's and Q & A's 10 09-10-2009 04:42 PM
Speed Bleeders? maxgs Taking it to the Track 13 11-11-2008 11:37 AM
vacuum bleeders rock pigpen General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 10-23-2007 03:44 PM
brake bleeder? linjy2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-10-2006 06:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

well give it a shot and see what happens. Personally an air bleeder is 20 bux at Harbor freight. I just suck it all out with the air bleeder then finish it off old school.

Last edited by Japawhat02; 12-29-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

it will suck air around the bleeder threads.
In fact that sometimes makes it hard to tell when you've gotten the air out of the system. You keep seeing bubbles in the hose. In that case you have to go only on brake lever feel.
If it's solid, you're done.

There really is a reason everybody always says pump, crack, close, pump... repeat
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

two bleeder valves, the holy terror in THAT job.

Not like you are doing a 1979 El Dorado by yourself
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

5mins vs sometimes up to a hour without an air bleeder. i like finishing the job as quickly as possible. a cheaper alternative would be using a syringe/hose and injecting fluid backwards from the caliper bleeder, then bleed it manually.

when you say speedbleeder, i think of speedbleeder nipples with the 1 way valves built in.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
DLite
David

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha429 View Post
5mins vs sometimes up to a hour without an air bleeder. i like finishing the job as quickly as possible. a cheaper alternative would be using a syringe/hose and injecting fluid backwards from the caliper bleeder, then bleed it manually.

when you say speedbleeder, i think of speedbleeder nipples with the 1 way valves built in.

+1 for the syringe and hose. Air travels up, not down.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Actually im upgrading my cage's brake lines to stainless steel so this is for 4 calipers, but us bikie's tend to be more versed in the nuances of brake bleeding since we (should?) be checking it more often and what not,

i figured i'd ask if there was any danger with trying to use the OEM bleeder nipples as tho they were speed bleeders (leaving them open and pumping air straight out without re-closing) so long as im careful not to let air run back into the system.

I appreciate the suggestions i may just do it the old fashioned way if i can find a helper it really doesnt take too long and the piece of mind will be worthwhile i was just curious if anyone was successfully doing it a different way that was faster and as or more reliable.

Advertisement