Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

that I'll take the go kart. I don't get home until 6, I'd have to go straight to bed to get a full 8 hours.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuting fecnik General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 09-28-2009 07:45 PM
Commuting to/from work TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-23-2007 01:19 PM
what a terrible way to go... :o\ SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-01-2005 12:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #22
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
I can do under 50 degrees, but under 50 degrees and wet. I have a 30 mile commute.

under 40 and dry or under 50 and wet = break out the mannequin "carpooler" for the HOV lane
30 miles for me too, most of it up SW freeway (59) which was all backed up this morning. Took me 1.5 hrs to make what is normally a 50 min drive.

No rain when I left, but all my cold weather gear is (thankfully) waterproof, so it wasn't too bad. Hands would've been frozen if it hadn't been for the liners though. Best $120 I've spent on gear yet.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #23
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
No rain when I left, but all my cold weather gear is (thankfully) waterproof, so it wasn't too bad. Hands would've been frozen if it hadn't been for the liners though. Best $120 I've spent on gear yet.
I got that mannequin for my passenger seat for free so I can ride the HOV and crank the heater in my car on full blast while wearing a short sleeve shirt in 30 degree weather. Best jewish item I've acquired yet.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #24
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
I got that mannequin for my passenger seat for free so I can ride the HOV and crank the heater in my car on full blast while wearing a short sleeve shirt in 30 degree weather. Best jewish item I've acquired yet.
How's that work when the cop is sitting there checking every car that drives by (like he was yesterday)?

My 90 min commute time was in the HOV on my bike, which included passing traffic while it was sitting still. They were saying 80 min delay on the main lanes on the traffic report this morning around the time I was getting into downtown. I'm REALLY glad I didn't jump in my car this morning.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #25
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
How's that work when the cop is sitting there checking every car that drives by (like he was yesterday)?
Not sure how your HOV works, but basically they themselves on the ability to enforce the HOV when they got greedy and put the HOT in.

I've gone through "dirty" probably about 100 times, with and without the cop sitting there with no issues. Here's how it works:

The only times I go through is when the HOT is open.(doesn't interfere with my normal commute times) I'm not sure what the cop is checking for, but for all he knows I'm just getting onto the HOT and happen to have a mannequin with me.
The incriminating act is when you drive through the "HOV only" lane instead of the HOT lane for them to bill you.
At that point the guy in the booth who is almost never there would have to
1. Recognize that you have a mannequin in the passengers seat and not a person(which would be hard because it's pretty convincing)
2. Somehow radio a cop to intercept your exact vehicle to prove it isn't a real person.

overall I think it's pretty difficult to enforce and there are plenty of other things to keep them busy that aren't as hard. If you are going through when HOT is closed it's another story
Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #26
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Ah, it seems most of the time I'm on there (in the morning, at least) is when the HOT lane is closed. I had to stay late at work yesterday though and the HOT was closed, so the cops were sitting right at the entrance from the main lanes checking cars getting on (and those already on from downtown), and had a few pulled over.

I'd think at the point you were going to that much trouble, instead of a mannequin, an infant car seat in the back covered with a blanket would be more believable should the guy look in the window.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #27
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

That's a pretty good idea. They were throwing the mannequin out at work so it was free and easy, which is the reason I use that. I took off the arms and legs. Makes it easier to move around and all you really need is the silhouette of a person sitting there seat belted in.

Works out great because I only really need it in the winter time, so I can throw a hoodie on it and it doesn't look out of place. Put the visor down so that you all the camera can see is the shoulders/neck and you're in business.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #28
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125
1995 Suzuki GS600 Katana (Sold)
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Sold)

Quote:
That's a pretty good idea. They were throwing the mannequin out at work so it was free and easy, which is the reason I use that. I took off the arms and legs. Makes it easier to move around and all you really need is the silhouette of a person sitting there seat belted in.

Works out great because I only really need it in the winter time, so I can throw a hoodie on it and it doesn't look out of place. Put the visor down so that you all the camera can see is the shoulders/neck and you're in business.
Lmao thats crazy hahaha, I'd like to see a pic of that!
WbDDoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #29
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

I thought about posting it up, but that's a bit incriminating.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:

Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #31
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote:
I thought about posting it up, but that's a bit incriminating.
You have already incriminated yourself, a pic isnt going to make it any worse!
Liked this post:
Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #32
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Look the other way Mr. pro red-light camera.

If the city had their together and had kept up with expanding the roads, I wouldn't have to do like this.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #33
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by WbDDoT View Post
You have already incriminated yourself, a pic isnt going to make it any worse!
Well yeah I kinda figured that and it's a good point, but at least people don't know exactly what the whole setup looks like.
Liked this post:
Old 01-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #34
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote:
Well yeah I kinda figured that and it's a good point, but at least people don't know exactly what the whole setup looks like.
A pic would earn you post of the day!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #35
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
You've posted pics of your car pulling your boat, so they know what you drive. I see a BOLO for your car being issued to Metro in the near future. All they gotta do is say, "Hey! There's that guy with the mannequin," and check the photos for the next booth to see which lane you take.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #36
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
If the city had their together and had kept up with expanding the roads, I wouldn't have to do like this.
Wake up and get on the road earlier, or ride your bike. Both perfectly legal options for avoiding traffic.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #37
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

common you know your bringing your RealDoll along with you to work for nooners
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #38
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Wake up and get on the road earlier, or ride your bike. Both perfectly legal options for avoiding traffic.
Going to work isn't the issue, it's getting home. I'm usually on the road at 5a.m. so there's no real traffic. The problem is it takes me a half hour to get there in the morning and 1.5+ freaking hours to get home.

I shouldn't have to ride my bike in freezing, wet conditions because the county can't get their together with our roads. They get a whole fuckload of tax money, there's no excuse for traffic to be like it is and no they don't need my 7 dollars to ride the HOT, I don't want to hear it.
they are just being greedy and they shot themselves in the foot by charging seven dollars.

Turns out if I get a ticket every 35 days, I would break even on if I had paid the 7 dollar toll for 35 days, so I'm already way ahead.

Edit: I'm at work but will try to get out there and get some pics before the day is over.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #39
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Going to work isn't the issue, it's getting home. I'm usually on the road at 5a.m. so there's no real traffic. The problem is it takes me a half hour to get there in the morning and 1.5+ freaking hours to get home.

I highly doubt your time is more valuable than anyone else's.

I shouldn't have to ride my bike in freezing, wet conditions because the county can't get their together with our roads. They get a whole fuckload of tax money, there's no excuse for traffic to be like it is and no they don't need my 7 dollars to ride the HOT, I don't want to hear it.
they are just being greedy and they shot themselves in the foot by charging seven dollars.

Apparently not, since it seems you'd be doing this anyway. Makes no difference that HOT lanes exist.

Turns out if I get a ticket every 35 days, I would break even on if I had paid the 7 dollar toll for 35 days, so I'm already way ahead.

That is, of course, until the points add up and the fees kick in or your license is suspended. Disregarding a traffic control device is a moving violation, isn't it?
You could always just take the bus. A bus pass is cheap, and you can let someone else navigate the idiots.
Liked this post:
Old 01-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #40
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

but you can't fap in a bus
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote