MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #21
Squeaky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Have you been to a track day to spectate yet? Seen layouts of the track(s) you plan to ride?
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Well, I've got 50k miles of street under my belt and I still only consider myself a 5 or 6. I use the track to learn about my bike, my riding, my limitations, etc. I don't go out there to "go fast" because that's not what my goal is. My goal is to be smooth. Fast comes later.

And yeah, my bike won't even go that fast so everyone gets to pass me. Get over the idea that being passed is a bad thing.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

When you do a track day, you ride at your own pace..... you can go as slow or fast as you want.... You really should just ride within your limits.

Go out to the track Sat, you can see what all goes on and how it works, and meet alot of us to boot.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #24
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

well i really dont care about going fast i wanna be able to take the curves smooth and easy in kind of lean the bike like it should
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #25
Duck84

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

sat. im working man
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

If you do a track day with Longhorn , they will film you for free...like a ride behind.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
Duck84

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

man that would be SWEEET is that anytime u go?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #28
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

yes.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #29
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck84
moreliky a 6-7
more like a 3 -4
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #30
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

^ What he said

Try a few track days to get your feet wet. (then you'll be hooked)
Then you can worry about upgrading.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 AM   #31
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
But you have come to the right place to learn.
My 1st 10 yrs of motorcycles was MX and racing dirt. The next 10 was street and crashing and not learning a thing.
My next 10 will be learning track- where I shoulda started in the 1st place.
It makes you a better rider and overall you will become a safer rider too.
Getting into 20 yrs of riding bikes and I still consider myself around a 4-5 in street riding. But then-trackdays have helped that personal rating come up IMO
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #32
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

to give you an idea of thats its like heres a few vids

This one is filming me last december... Im SLOW especially compared to the racers an REAL experienced riders that I was on the track with.... This wasnt a normal day, so when you go to do it, there will be others about your speed out there. Then again, I dont push my bike that hard either, even on the straits.

http://www.motohouston.com/chris/MSR...yvid121706.wmv

Then, ONE day you might be as good as this pair. The one behind the camera is the Instructor/Owner of LMS a sponsor for us. Hes also on a 600rr, and the bike that the other guy (Mike Sanchez, AMA Racer) is on is a Ducati 999

http://www.motohouston.com/chris/MSRH/LMSFinal.wmv

Enjoy!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

This is from Lone Star Track Days website.
www.lstd.com

THE BIKE

After signing in and obtaining your Group decal, that decal is to be placed on the FRONT of your motorcycle. For ease of removal at the end of the day, place the decal on a couple strips of duct tape. From there, all motorcycles will undergo a technical inspection (see below) and this will be held just outside the doors of registration:

Throttle must be self closing.
All bodywork must be mounted securely (safety wiring not necessary).
Chain must be adjusted properly.
Functional kill switch on one of the handlebars.
Tires with half or more tread life remaining.
All lights must be taped over (ie, head/tail lights and signals).
Both mirrors must be removed or taped over.
Coolant does not need to be changed, but system needs to be free of leaks.
Bike must NOT leak fluid of any kind.
Both front and rear brakes must be operational.
License plate preferably removed, or mounted securely and taped over.
No bikes with a smaller displacement than 125 two-strokes.
(Unless it is a Friday event before the CMRA race weekend, then the “mini” rider can ride in the Rider’s School Group)
Oil filter wire-tie (this is not required, but highly recommended) It’s a good idea to check the snugness of your drain pan bolt and oil filter.

THE GEAR

Full face DOT/Snell approved helmet not older than 5 years (a flip-up helmet is not a full-face helmet).
Leather/motorcycle boots that extend above the ankle.
Full-finger motorcycle gloves, preferably extending past the wrist.
Advanced Group must have one piece or two piece leathers (it is recommended that 2 piece leathers zip together in some form).
Intermediate/B and Riders School/C Groups may use full leathers, OR, one/two piece Cordura or synthetic/heavy duty nylon riding suits (lightweight mesh suites are not appropriate).
Back protector highly recommended.

The Rider's Meeting

At the beginning of each track day, a Rider's Meeting will be held. This meeting is MANDATORY for every track day participant where we cover on/off track etiquette, flags, safety procedures and other track-side services provided throughout the day. In addition, any unusual/unique track conditions will be brought to everyones attention during this meeting.

Lone Star Track Days reserves the right to remove any participant that disregards the on-track/off-track guidelines described above, or outlined in the Rider's Meeting. These guildelines will be enforced by the LSTD Instructors, Track Marshalls or Staff.

FLAGS

Lone Star Track Days utilizes four separate flags:

Yellow Flag/Stationary... This flag indicates that there is a hazard/bike/rider near the track and that you should proceed with caution.

Yellow Flag/Waving... This indicates that there is a hazard on the track and you should reduce speed, proceed with caution and no passing is allowed here. After you pass the hazard, you can return to normal riding.

Black Flag... This flag may be held out and pointed at YOU. If this is the case, something has probably come loose or has broken on your motorcycle. Reduce speed gradually, move to the edge of the track and slowly make your way back to the pit area. Check with Course Control (the person who allows access to the track) and inspect your motorcycle.

Red Flag... This indicates that something has occurred on the track. You should reduce speed and make your way back to the pits until further announcement.

Checkered Flag... The session is over. Back your speed down a notch a corner or two before the track exit and proceed to the track exit and your pit area (the CMRA Licensing School will cover additional flags that are utilized while in a racing environment).

Things to think about...

Lone Star Track Days provides water and Gatorade, however, we recommend you bring additional water and refreshments. Please note, the number of drinks we provide are based upon our registration numbers. Nevertheless, we would ask for you to please finish your drinks before visiting the cooler again. In the past, we have had track days where the drinks have run out, but you could still see half empty bottles all over the paddock. Other items to consider:

Chair(s).
Shade/shelter (Texas World does have a covered paddock area, but the Motorsport Ranch does not).
Food... at Texas World, the snack bar is open for all of our events. The Motorsport Ranch does not have a snack bar, but there is a Subway across the street.
Miscellaneous tools (bring zip ties, duct tape and your bikes tool kit... just in case).
Extra fuel (occasionally, fuel can be purchased at Texas World at a premium price and The Motorsport Ranch does not have on-site fuel at this time).
It sounds silly, but remember your bike key! Finally, make a check list of all the things you need/would like to bring. Driving for a couple hours and realizing you forgot something important is not fun at all.
Finally, we suggest that you DO NOT ride by yourself. Hook up with a friend or another rider attending the event due to the off chance that you are injured and can not load up your belongings and drive yourself home.

This all gets simpler once you attend your first track day.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #34
motomax629
Retired Baller

Bike(s):
05 Gixxer 1000 (track)
07 Gixxer 600 (track)
Fiddy w88 kit