MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
TrevorC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

J Restriction....removal?

I've had my CM license since 2006, but I've always had the J restriction on it since then.

I figured since I just bought another bike I'd see what I need to do to get it removed. Anyone know? TxDPS is closed today so figured I'd post about it.

From what I'm reading I need a MSF Course
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US HP restriction. Is this legitimate? Remcycle General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 09-25-2012 12:28 AM
Mirror Removal? ROC155 How To's and Q & A's 2 10-20-2008 08:07 PM
decal removal BYRDMAN How To's and Q & A's 1 10-12-2008 10:35 AM
Occular Penetration Restriction Act of 2007 ArturoC Off Topic 16 12-22-2007 02:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
TheFantasticG

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

What's the J restriction mean?

EDIT: Licensed driver age 21 or over in sight

Last edited by TheFantasticG; 12-14-2014 at 03:46 PM.
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

How does one obtain a J restriction?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
TrevorC

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
How does one obtain a J restriction?
I have no idea honestly, it's been a long time. I think I went in and got a M permit for my license and they sent me the one with the restriction on it and I never followed up on getting the "real license". Cops would pull me over and never say anything about it so I kinda forgot about it...just bothers me that it's down there and I'm not sure what laws have changed since then if it would even matter.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
car94

Trackdays: 10+

Has anyone Googled it?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It's basically a learners permit
Old 12-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
TrevorC

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

I've been a learnin a lonnnggg time, haha
Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

I would call. They may just remove it if you are not a minor....

From TXDPS

Sometimes a restriction code may be placed on a driver license. This is not meant to interfere with an individual’s driving but to make the individual a better driver. Individuals who wish to have a restriction code removed may contact any driver license office.

For individuals under 18 years of age, the Graduated Driver License (GDL) Program enforces some restrictions on when and how a minor may ride a motorcycle during the first year they have a Class M. Phase two of the GDL Program applies to minors who currently hold a Class M.

Motorcycle Learner License (J restriction)
A motorcycle learner license allows an individual to practice riding a motorcycle if a licensed driver who is 21 years of age or older is “in sight” and watching.

To apply for a motorcycle learner license, an individual must meet all of the requirements necessary to obtain a learner license, plus complete a motorcycle safety course. (Please bring the certificate of completion to the driver license office when applying for a license.)

Minors are required to take a motorcycle riding test to remove the “J” restriction.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I had it on mine for 10 years. It was the original learners permit. I went and did the riding part for the licenses right before they made classes mandatory. Thats how I got it removed
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Cog

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours

J restriction

No class needed. Law states class is required for a "new" motorcycle endorsement. Technically you have one, it's just restricted. You can go to DPS, do a riding test and you're done. Call DPS in Austin if you need more info. 800-292-5787. Don't wait, tho. Technically your insurance coverage may be denied in the event of a claim due to something happening if you're riding at night, or with a passenger, or not accompanied by another licensed motorcyclist. It's that old "illegal and criminal act" clause! Good luck.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Track_Graphics

Both my sons got their M at age 15 before they even had a C. They tested on 600s and have no restrictions. Go to DPS and have them give you a new DL without the J.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Cog

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours

Lots of misinformation out there. Here's the current law as defined on the Texas DPS motorcycle safety unit website:
Motorcycle Licenses

A Class M driver license is needed to operate a motorcycle or moped. In addition to meeting the requirements necessary to obtain a regular driver license, individuals who apply for a Class M must also meet other criteria.

NOTE: The Motorcycle Operator’s Manual is available to help prepare individuals to get their motorcycle license.

Motorcycle Safety Course

To obtain a Class M driver license, individuals are required to take a DPS-approved motorcycle safety course. When applying for a Class M, please bring the certificate of completion to the driver license office.

If an individual has a valid motorcycle license from another state, this course requirement will be waived.

Minors
In addition to the motorcycle safety course, individuals under 18 years of age must:

Have a Class C learner license or driver license; and
Complete the classroom phase of a driver education course before a motorcycle safety course can be taken. (The behind-the-wheel part of driver education is not needed to take the motorcycle safety course or apply for a Class M.)
Minors from Out-of-State
In Texas, the driver education requirement applies to all individuals under 18 years of age, even if they already hold a motorcycle license from another state.

Tests

Knowledge Tests
Individuals must take a basic knowledge test and a motorcycle knowledge test. Both tests will be waived for individuals who hold a valid motorcycle license from another state.

Motorcycle Riding Test
Individuals must take the motorcycle riding test unless the individual is:

18 years of age or older, has completed a motorcycle safety course and holds a valid, unrestricted Texas Class A, B or C driver license;
18 years of age or older and is transferring a valid, unrestricted motorcycle license from another state;
Applying for a motorcycle learner license (J restriction—see “Class M Restrictions” section below); or
Only going to ride mopeds (K restriction—see “Class M Restrictions” section below).
Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
TrevorC

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

I went down to the dmv in alvin and paid $11, they told me I was grandfathered in because I've had my CM so long, so they scheduled an appointment for my riding test and once I complete that they'll remove the J Restriction.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Doesn't sound grandfathered in so much. I figured it was a driving test issue though
Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
TrevorC

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Doesn't sound grandfathered in so much. I figured it was a driving test issue though
If they wouldn't have honored my current CM, I'd have had to take a MSF and present the certificate....so I avoided that - hence being grandfathered in.

All I have to do is show up and they ride in my "car" and follow me around to determine whether I can ride or not, lol.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #16
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Got it. That ride along was a pain. Finding someone on their schedule sucked. My buddies wife wasn't working and went with me

Advertisement