MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
PMitchell08

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Suggestions for shops to give an estimate and perform repairs

If your bike was damaged by an absent minded motorist, where would you send your bike to have the estimate performed for their insurance company, to make sure that you were given a fair valuation of the bike and assessment of the damage?
PMitchell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions: Brake fluid And chain repairs Eddie_Puma General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-22-2010 10:22 PM
Just ranting;and i need an estimate Jay Off Topic 10 10-18-2008 11:00 AM
Any repairs needed? Give my Father a buzz. txferrari Off Topic 0 09-15-2008 02:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Most of the sponsors here can work up solid insurance evaluations, and perform the work. Depends on where you are. I would recommend Motorcycles Unlimited, but I have heard Tony does great rebuilds, too, as he is also a great painter.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
mz-zx10r

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07' zx10r
07' zx6r (sold)

House of paint
Motorcycle unlimited

Both are in spring but do great work
Old 12-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Motorcycles Unlimited
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

We deal with insurance regularly.
Swing it by and we'll get you taken care of.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I always get the estimate done at a dealership because they are stupid expensive and then have the work dome somewhere else or fix what I can myself then take it somewhere to finish. Might be able to pocket some cash.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I always get the estimate done at a dealership because they are stupid expensive and then have the work dome somewhere else or fix what I can myself then take it somewhere to finish. Might be able to pocket some cash.
fraud8

Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
fraud8
I don't believe it is. If you're getting a legitimate repair estimate (and not one that is intentionally inflated), and if insurance agrees to it, they write you a check for the cost of repair and/or devaluation of the vehicle. I was told specifically by my adjuster that they don't price used parts (except when that's the only way parts are available, like on my 28 year old Yamaha) and I was free to make the repairs however I saw fit. All of the estimates I've had done for damage were done by my insurance company's adjuster though.

The last bike I wrecked on back in June, I paid $3500 for but had it insured for an agreed value of $7500 (replacement cost should the side car have been a total loss and I had to buy new, also as an "antique" I had to list a value as it's no longer standardized). Even though the side car wasn't on at the time of the wreck, it was only considered an accessory and the motorcycle was still insured for the whole agreed value. For some reason, from the little bit of plastic damage I had (on said 28 year old Yamaha) they decided to total the bike and wrote me a check for the full amount, minus my "buy back" of $800. Nearly all parts were replaced with parts I had previously removed from my other Venture, so I spent a total of $0 out of pocket and no fraud involved. In hind-sight I should've just taken the extra $800 and given them the bike, as it's still sitting in my driveway for sale.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
fraud8

Not fraud.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
PMitchell08

Thank you for your responses. If an insurance company were to send a sub-contracted property damage appraiser (not from a bike shop, likely not specialized in motorcycles) to assess damages on a bike, what might one expect from this? Anyone have any relevant experience and/or advice?

As far as I can tell they have a few options:

1 - Send the bike to a shop and pay the repair cost directly to the shop.

2 - Estimate the damages and give the owner a check for the agreed-upon repair cost.

3 - Consider it totaled and take the bike, paying the owner a reasonable value for the bike.

4 - Consider it totaled and give the owner a reasonable value, less some amount to keep what's left of the bike.

My gut-expectation would be a severe low-ball of both the value of the bike, and the cost of the damages. Should I have more faith in these appraisers? How might one go about providing a valid counter-assessment?
PMitchell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell08 View Post
Thank you for your responses. If an insurance company were to send a sub-contracted property damage appraiser (not from a bike shop, likely not specialized in motorcycles) to assess damages on a bike, what might one expect from this? Anyone have any relevant experience and/or advice?

As far as I can tell they have a few options:

1 - Send the bike to a shop and pay the repair cost directly to the shop.

2 - Estimate the damages and give the owner a check for the agreed-upon repair cost.

3 - Consider it totaled and take the bike, paying the owner a reasonable value for the bike.

4 - Consider it totaled and give the owner a reasonable value, less some amount to keep what's left of the bike.

My gut-expectation would be a severe low-ball of both the value of the bike, and the cost of the damages. Should I have more faith in these appraisers? How might one go about providing a valid counter-assessment?
If the frame is damaged, the bike is usually totaled.
Some owners have bought their totaled bike from the insurance company
Check KBB or NADA to get a ballpark value for your bike
Motorcycles Unlimited will probably be able to take care of everything for you from dealing with the insurance company to repair
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Suggestions for shops to give an estimate and perform repairs

Plain and simple you need a shop that is accustomed to dealing with insurance do the work. Often times the full extent of the damage is not revealed until you actually dig in. A good shop accustomed to dealing with insurance will take care of getting adjustments to your claim. It happens all the time. The adjuster is really just providing an estimate without having dug in. The insurance will expect adjustments to be made.

Last edited by Hail; 12-23-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote