MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #41
HoustonHD

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
Are online deals really that much better? How well can a layman balance a motorcycle tire? Do shops do a dynamic balance? I always bought the tires from a shop that ordered them for me. Always looking to save my money tho

Are online deals really that much better? Answer - often half if not approaching 60% cheaper in the case with cruiser tires.

How well can a layman balance a motorcycle tire? Answer - most cruiser tires nowadays are so close to balance that they need very little weighting. If the tire will spin freely (no belt/chain attached) then you can come super close. Still not as good as dynamic balancing.

Do shops do a dynamic balance? Answer - any real shop should have a tire spinner to do a dynamic balance. If they don't then I'd really wonder about them.

The PROBLEM you can run in to with ebay tires is they might be blems which are often so far out of balance that no real amount of weight is gonna bring them back in. Balancing one of those tires can be a lost cause. Also an ebay tire might be really, really old and dry rotted. If you're getting your internet tires from a "reputable" online store then often you'll be ok and won't have those issues.

Of course mounting them yourself takes some knowhow, a couple spoons, patience to learn and get it right without bending your rim. It can be done.

One more thing is that the taller and narrower the tire, the harder it is to mount by hand. And don't even think about trying to mount one of those "custom cruiser" wide tires without a machine. (talking 300mm plus, low profile things you see on the fad custom bikes)
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
houston area Dealer or Shop advice Jcritch Super Motards 20 06-24-2013 08:59 AM
Local R.A.M. Mount dealer? Truckin_Thumper General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 11-23-2012 09:43 PM
Anyone a salesman for a local Ford dealer? ZXALAN Off Topic 39 06-08-2011 07:09 AM
help!!! need to finde a local hid dealer camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-16-2010 11:50 AM
Online or Local Dealer? GSXR_911 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-01-2009 05:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #42
phantomzrex

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Just thought I'd put my .02 cents in, I ordered a tire online and brought it and my wheel to "Motorcycles Unlimited" they mounted it and balanced it for pennies shy of $20.00. I couldn't be happier, Next time I will probably buy my tire from them also to show my appreciation.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #43
steelhorserentals

Bike(s):
Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
Can-Am Spyder
Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Harley-Davidson 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
Are online deals really that much better? How well can a layman balance a motorcycle tire? Do shops do a dynamic balance? I always bought the tires from a shop that ordered them for me. Always looking to save my money tho
Not to discourage local buying, but tires are often much cheaper online. Large online retailers buy them in massive quantities and sell them dirt cheap. The challenge is finding a good shop to mount and balance. If you have the tools, you can do it yourself.

steelhorserentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #44
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorserentals View Post
The best deal I could find as a consumer was $50.00 per and it weighed on our pricing model for tire changing.
FWIW, Cycle Gear up on 59 has been charging me $35 when I bring in my own tire and rim. They can't (or won't, not sure which) take the wheels off the bike, so I'd have to bring it in to get a tire put on either way, but no idea what they charge if I bought the tire through them. Last one I checked on was about $45 cheaper to order it online (shipping included) so even if they would do M&B for free I was still better off buying elsewhere.

Last edited by Jae; 12-12-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #45
Prodigy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

lol at this
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #46
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHD View Post
Are online deals really that much better? Answer - often half if not approaching 60% cheaper in the case with cruiser tires.

How well can a layman balance a motorcycle tire? Answer - most cruiser tires nowadays are so close to balance that they need very little weighting. If the tire will spin freely (no belt/chain attached) then you can come super close. Still not as good as dynamic balancing.

Do shops do a dynamic balance? Answer - any real shop should have a tire spinner to do a dynamic balance. If they don't then I'd really wonder about them.

The PROBLEM you can run in to with ebay tires is they might be blems which are often so far out of balance that no real amount of weight is gonna bring them back in. Balancing one of those tires can be a lost cause. Also an ebay tire might be really, really old and dry rotted. If you're getting your internet tires from a "reputable" online store then often you'll be ok and won't have those issues.

Of course mounting them yourself takes some knowhow, a couple spoons, patience to learn and get it right without bending your rim. It can be done.

One more thing is that the taller and narrower the tire, the harder it is to mount by hand. And don't even think about trying to mount one of those "custom cruiser" wide tires without a machine. (talking 300mm plus, low profile things you see on the fad custom bikes)
thanks for the info. When I have bought tires the prices were not far off. I guess I didn't closely check online sales because I didn't really consider it an option.
False is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement