MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #21
Rayinhouston

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1998 Valk
1984 Honda V65 Sabre
KLR-650
1976 DT-400
Suzuki T-350 C-Z 400, Husky 360c, 71 SL-70 "hotrod"

I have used.......

Global Motorsports
16920 Kuykendahl Rd Ste 231
Houston, TX 77068
(281) 893-3600

a couple of times... first time I was for a set for my V65 Sabre, I didn't think anyone would have something local like I needed... they had the back tire in stock and it was 11.00 more than what I paid for off the net... second time I called about some tires for my Valk... they ordered them and I took my wheels in a couple of days later... It's a small mom & pop shop.. but I would use them again... I'm sure Motorcycles Unlimited would/will also be a great place to use......
Rayinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
houston area Dealer or Shop advice Jcritch Super Motards 20 06-24-2013 08:59 AM
Local R.A.M. Mount dealer? Truckin_Thumper General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 11-23-2012 09:43 PM
Anyone a salesman for a local Ford dealer? ZXALAN Off Topic 39 06-08-2011 07:09 AM
help!!! need to finde a local hid dealer camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-16-2010 11:50 AM
Online or Local Dealer? GSXR_911 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-01-2009 05:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #22
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
My problem is finding a shop open late enough to buy tires during the week and being that most are closed on Sundays, this leaves only Saturdays. I won't sacrfice my entire Saturday morning (coincidentally, most shops busiest day) just for a tire change. Order online....spend 20 minutes pulling tires and rims after work one evening...arrange a time for someone to mount and balance and then 30-40 minutes to put em back on. I can't comprehend $25/ea (and sometimes more) for M&B off the bike....nor the $45/tire when on the bike with a 2 hour + wait.

at the risk of offending a sponsor, the difficulty I often have is the local shop having the tire I need in stock. And of course they need you to come in to order it. Come back to drop the tires off to have them mounted. and then come back to pick them up. Three trips to the shop just to buy a tire. If there was a way I could order the tire through the shop, pay online or over the phone then that would at least cut out one trip. Even better would be a reasonable wait time to have them mounted. I understatnd the shops are busy. I'm just trying to give another viewpoint.
HoustonHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #23
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHD View Post
at the risk of offending a sponsor, the difficulty I often have is the local shop having the tire I need in stock. And of course they need you to come in to order it. Come back to drop the tires off to have them mounted. and then come back to pick them up. Three trips to the shop just to buy a tire. If there was a way I could order the tire through the shop, pay online or over the phone then that would at least cut out one trip. Even better would be a reasonable wait time to have them mounted. I understatnd the shops are busy. I'm just trying to give another viewpoint.
I agree with your plight, however some shops take orders over the phone.

And I don't ALWAYS shops local/sponsor etc, but I try hard. If I save a TON of money, then I will buy online.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #24
Mustapha

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS

Talked to a rider who also parks in my garage at work. He's been riding for 40 years, and says a plug has never been an issue for him or his riding friends. Coupled with the comments on here supporting it, I'm holding off on spending ~$350 for now and meanwhile plugging it instead.
Mustapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #25
silent11

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600rr - SOLD

anyone have advice on plugging a staple puncture? The 2 holes in close proximity have me a little concerned.
silent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #26
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayinhouston View Post
I have used.......

Global Motorsports
16920 Kuykendahl Rd Ste 231
Houston, TX 77068
(281) 893-3600

a couple of times... first time I was for a set for my V65 Sabre, I didn't think anyone would have something local like I needed... they had the back tire in stock and it was 11.00 more than what I paid for off the net... second time I called about some tires for my Valk... they ordered them and I took my wheels in a couple of days later... It's a small mom & pop shop.. but I would use them again... I'm sure Motorcycles Unlimited would/will also be a great place to use......
I will only THINK about bringing my bike to this place if and only when they decide to can that meat head who works there. I'm really good friends with everyone next door at American Tire. On more than one occasion I've witnessed him stop by to BS while on his way out to test ride customers bikes. On more than one occasion I've witnessed him laughing about how "it ain't my bike" "I'm about to ride the out if this thing", then burn off like a squid. I'm sure this goes on everywhere, but his blatant disregard for customer's property and pompous attitude had me think twice abut letting them work on my bike. Only place I would go is Motorcycles Unlimited.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #27
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent11 View Post
anyone have advice on plugging a staple puncture? The 2 holes in close proximity have me a little concerned.
The rule I've always heard is if the holes are within 3 inches of each other then you shouldn't plug. I've actually never had bad luck to have to ever plug a tire twice (at all) so I've never had to worry with that rule though.

(btw, this is just what I've always heard and I'm not a shop owner who does it a dozen times a day so keep that in mind when you hear my advice/experience)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #28
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

In the case of a double puncture the inside patch is best.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #29
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

I go to Motorcycles Unlimited.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #30
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

I buy mine locally for the most part. Run a 120 front and your tire options expand along with better pricing. The rear size is a tricky part as it's not as common.

In your case, you're better off plugging the tire and riding on.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
steelhorserentals

Bike(s):
Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
Can-Am Spyder
Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Harley-Davidson 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHD View Post
You can order them over the phone with us. You will be able to order them from our website soon.

steelhorserentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #32
steelhorserentals

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
Can-Am Spyder
Harley-Davidson 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I've been going to an individual to get tires mounted/balanced for years now and usually pay $20/ea, but I don't mind pulling my own wheels, and I've never really had a sponsor shop close enough that it was convenient to take the bike by. I almost bought a tire changing station a couple of years back, but figured that even at $20/ea, 6 tires per year, was going to take me quite a few years to recoup the cost, not to mention the hassle of doing it myself.

Is that bringing the bike in, or just bringing the wheels in off the bike? Also, is that per wheel, or for a set? (I'm assuming that's per wheel, especially if you're taking them off the bike.)
It's $35 per tire if you bring them in. $70 per tire if we take it off the bike. It's free if you order the tires through us. Check in though. This is an area where we are always running specials.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #33
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Plug the tire. This anti plug paranoia is ridiculous. I have been riding 40 plus years and have run plugged tires at high speed for many miles. Ridiculous.
Me too
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #34
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

As long as it is within $10 - $15 difference in price per tire I always go local.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #35
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorserentals View Post
It's $35 per tire if you bring them in. $70 per tire if we take it off the bike. It's free if you order the tires through us. Check in though. This is an area where we are always running specials.
and folks, this is why I order online and pay $15/tire for mount and balance (or I'll support a local tire vendor trackside that mounts and balances for free). Either making a killing on 15 minutes of labor or making a large enough profit on the tire price to waive that fee. I understand shops not wanting to "lose" money on tire changing (essentially oil & lube type labor) vs. using that tech to resync valves on a bike (shop rate type labor)...., I think most shops charge these insane prices to keep that type of work out of the shop....but $70 or $140 for a set of tire to be mounted and balanced is absurd in my opinion.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #36
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
You can order them over the phone with us. You will be able to order them from our website soon.

FNA man.....f..n..a! Now when are you guys gonna open a location on the NW side of town?
Liked this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #37
steelhorserentals

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
Can-Am Spyder
Harley-Davidson 48

Quote:
and folks, this is why I order online and pay $15/tire for mount and balance (or I'll support a local tire vendor trackside that mounts and balances for free). Either making a killing on 15 minutes of labor or making a large enough profit on the tire price to waive that fee. I understand shops not wanting to "lose" money on tire changing (essentially oil & lube type labor) vs. using that tech to resync valves on a bike (shop rate type labor)...., I think most shops charge these insane prices to keep that type of work out of the shop....but $70 or $140 for a set of tire to be mounted and balanced is absurd in my opinion.

They offer tire mounting for free trackside? That's bad . , I think I'll bring my tires up for him to mount. .

The best deal I could find as a consumer was $50.00 per and it weighed on our pricing model for tire changing.

With that said, we value feedback and will make an adjustment. A little one, but an adjustment...

$25 per if they are already off the bike. Still free if you purchase the tires through us.

Have a great night!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #38
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
They offer tire mounting for free trackside? That's bad . , I think I'll bring my tires up for him to mount. .
if you buy from the vendor (at least SCRC), he always offered free M&B.

Quote:
The best deal I could find as a consumer was $50.00 per and it weighed on our pricing model for tire changing.

With that said, we value feedback and will make an adjustment. A little one, but an adjustment...

$25 per if they are already off the bike. Still free if you purchase the tires through us.

Have a great night!
I appreciate the "adjustment", but please don't do so on my behalf....if that's the going rate ($35/off $70/on) by all means keep that business model.

I just don't think an hour to pull tires and reinstall = $140. (that's like an hour and a half of shop labor).

I'll continue buying online (or whenever I see a sponsor running a good special...) and just continue to use someone not "in the business" for mount and balance. Not trying to create a match or get anyone to come down on pricing....just stating why I shop online and then pay members in the community a fair price for the 20 minutes it takes them to mount 2 tires onto the wheels.

Good night SHR!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #39
boner12
Mexican Kanevil

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06, 636 ( bulletproof)
99 zx9r sold
2010 ducati streetfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Plug the tire. This anti plug paranoia is ridiculous. I have been riding 40 plus years and have run plugged tires at high speed for many miles. Ridiculous.

where's the like button.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #40
False

Quote:
I'll continue buying online (or whenever I see a sponsor running a good special...) and just continue to use someone not "in the business" for mount and balance. Not trying to create a match or get anyone to come down on pricing....just stating why I shop online and then pay members in the community a fair price for the 20 minutes it takes them to mount 2 tires onto the wheels.
Are online deals really that much better? How well can a layman balance a motorcycle tire? Do shops do a dynamic balance? I always bought the tires from a shop that ordered them for me. Always looking to save my money tho
False is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement