Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #41
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

^ agreed, or you could do both, but i think a virtual build might propose some advanced, unbuilt suspension concept that has not yet been done or relatively unknown setup
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virtual Ducati Tour darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-22-2014 12:07 AM
Virtual MOney? morvegil The Circus 5 01-11-2011 03:34 PM
Virtual DJ 5.0.7 (Atomix??) BMoreno Off Topic 23 05-13-2008 04:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #42
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

TRACK graphics.. I WISH you stuck with the Isle of Man as your goal. You lost just about everyone with I want to go fast and straight in the middle of nowhere... from your background you would know the fastest speeds every achieved by a human being were a very boring 25000 mph journey to the moon...

All that said required reading and watching for your task.

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

And

If that second link doesn't work google "One man's dream the Britten bike story" on YouTube.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #43
Track_Graphics

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
TRACK graphics.. I WISH you stuck with the Isle of Man as your goal. You lost just about everyone with I want to go fast and straight in the middle of nowhere... from your background you would know the fastest speeds every achieved by a human being were a very boring 25000 mph journey to the moon....
Very much open to changing the goal to something more popular. Give me some direction. But ya gotta realize, the Japs and Wapps got us (Motohouston Motorcycle Engineering LLC.) beat when it comes to engineering bikes to race IOM. That is THE top end of bike engineering. The only way I'd tackle THAT type of bike is to buy one and just mod the fairings with some glass, maybe poke a few new holes or add bump and call it something else . . . ha.

Also, It's not a good idea to change the goal too many times. I don't think it's practical to try and make a IOM-Grom-Harley-Motard combo that's worth a .

And the Tony Foale article is good. Already been through it, but it's not 21st century.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #44
WileCyot

I'll bite on this thread. Thus far I'm not impressed at all what-so-ever with the models you've presented. Dual shaft drive? What.... The.... Fuark....?

If you're going to want to go in a straight line have the bike be long and low. A wide contact patch isn't necessary but a tire that will hold up to those forces (rotational) is.

Aerodynamics will be very important at elevated speeds. 250 mph isn't going to be hard to achieve on a streamlined bike. The challenges are going to enter in designing the aero in such a way as to maintain cooling for the engine as well as other components while at such a speed. You can't just suck air in from anywhere when aerodynamics are of great importance.

As for the Isle of Man build, I feel that is something far more promising but why reinvent the wheel? Why not just take a existing bike design and modify it to suit our purposes and upgrade/redesign the components necessary to make it even faster? Most of your focus, at that point, is going to be building a reliable and fast engine that fits a lightweight chassis. Get rid of every unnecessary component on the bike to make it as absolutely as light as possible. Next step is to make it as aerodynamic as feasibly possible while maintaining a light weight bike (there will be the law of diminishing returns) and then dial in your suspension design around the bikes final weight + rider. The suspension design and setting will be crucial for the Isle of Man type race.
WileCyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #45
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

^track graphics, have you read all his articles, bought his book, or even looked through all the photos in the gallery? This guy is way ahead of his time.

If your goal is the IOM than shoot for that. It is exactly the reason why I posted the video to the Britten story. Have you watched it? The guy built a bike from pouring the castings himself to race compettivly at the IOM and Daytona.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #46
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileCyot View Post
I'll bite on this thread. Thus far I'm not impressed at all what-so-ever with the models you've presented. Dual shaft drive? What.... The.... Fuark....?

If you're going to want to go in a straight line have the bike be long and low. A wide contact patch isn't necessary but a tire that will hold up to those forces (rotational) is.

Aerodynamics will be very important at elevated speeds. 250 mph isn't going to be hard to achieve on a streamlined bike. The challenges are going to enter in designing the aero in such a way as to maintain cooling for the engine as well as other components while at such a speed. You can't just suck air in from anywhere when aerodynamics are of great importance.

As for the Isle of Man build, I feel that is something far more promising but why reinvent the wheel? Why not just take a existing bike design and modify it to suit our purposes and upgrade/redesign the components necessary to make it even faster? That's what I said. Most of your focus, at that point, is going to be building a reliable and fast engine that fits a lightweight chassis. Get rid of every unnecessary component on the bike to make it as absolutely as light as possible. Next step is to make it as aerodynamic as feasibly possible while maintaining a light weight bike (there will be the law of diminishing returns) and then dial in your suspension design around the bikes final weight + rider. The suspension design and setting will be crucial for the Isle of Man type race. Make some suggestions like kunup. Not just advice. We can talk advice all day.
As far as what you've seen graphically - I'm just putting "anything" together right now. It's NOT impressive. I surely don't disagree. But other than the exceedingly obvious aerodynamics, I'd like to use some of the parts you guys have a high opinion on for performance. Then, like you said, make a few mods to make them "just right. That's why the last graphic shows an Olins inspired fork.

But now what about kenup? ↓↓↓↓↓ This is some cool stuff too. Can we put it all together in a virtual bike for now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
^track graphics, have you read all his articles, bought his book, or even looked through all the photos in the gallery? This guy is way ahead of his time.

If your goal is the IOM than shoot for that. It is exactly the reason why I posted the video to the Britten story. Have you watched it? The guy built a bike from pouring the castings himself to race compettivly at the IOM and Daytona.
Actually, nope on the books, but I've seen the video. Yes - good stuff. The bike goal is to achieve - well, you know my initial intention, but it was a long time ago. That can change to a much more popular goal. I'm all for it because - - - -

The goal of the thread is just what you are doing. Putting "real" information into the inspiration of a creation. Something that a whole bunch of us can get involved with.

I don't have all the time in the world to read everything the guy did. Also, I don't want to just gain his knowlegde and copy it - he's already done it.

I'd like to see what we can come up with, and I can simulate the parts and mechanics and we can watch the sucker evolve.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #47
Track_Graphics

Can't do much this weekend, but you guys are all right. I'm diggin this . But right now I'm going to buy a couple bikes. See what fun I can have . . . REAL - not virtual . . .
Old 12-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #48
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Actually, BMW is still using a lot of the fork technology he discusses. That double wishbone setup is still something they're using on a lot of the bikes, and one of the big criticisms I've read of that new naked R1200 they built for customizers is that they went away from that design toward a more conventional telescopic fork.

If you're interested in high speed stability and anticipate any variations in road surface, there are setups that offer a more stable trail vs. telescopic forks, but I'd also imagine we're looking at such a narrow range of suspension movement that it wouldn't matter.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #49
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Turbo Busa or ZX14 with a slightly extended wheelbase would do all you you want on that stretch of road in Montana.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #50
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Turbo Busa or ZX14 with a slightly extended wheelbase would do all you you want on that stretch of road in Montana.
Never rode a ZX14. Rode a few Busas. I'll want to stop along the way because I'll get thirsty - and I'll wanna pick up a girl here and there.

The only thing about those bikes is - I didn't get to design it.

Advertisement