MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #21
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

You are moving and they are not! Period! Same reason why people sitting in traffic and look over and see a single in the HOV lane get ! Yes they are breaking the law too; but anyone doing that just let's everyone else around them know that they think their time is more valuable than your time!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you Lane Split Poll TMAX General Discussion (Moto Related) 154 08-17-2015 02:39 PM
Lane Split petition Jae General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 12-13-2014 06:27 AM
My take on lane splitting and malicious cagers. Do you guys risk it in Houston? phrenetiK General Discussion (Moto Related) 127 12-10-2014 12:26 PM
Why are some cagers so off by lane splitting in stopped traffic? TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 155 11-01-2013 10:20 PM
this is how to lane split socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-29-2007 12:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
Track_Graphics

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
So breaking the law is only OK when there's no traffic?
That's weird - why would you lane split if theres no traffic?
Nah, I'm just tring to figure out what it is in the mind of the rider that makes us just fight and fight and fight for our ability to lane split regardless of the law.

It's just a question about what's going on in our brain that's different when we are on our bike vs in a car.

I wheelie when there's no traffic simply for a safety thing. I don't wanna slam the front wheel down and clamp on the binders so I don't rear end pokey driver in front of me.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
pinball
I got slow

Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
I want to know what it is in "OUR" brain that makes us just "gotta lane split". Because actually, I want to do it at almost every light I'm at, only I don't. What is the feeling that us riders get that makes this law ignorable in our minds?
Well...there's always the argument that because of the likelihood of rear-end collisions, it's safer that sitting in traffic. It's the same justification the NHTSA uses for allowing motorcycles on HOV lanes. I've almost been rear-ended several times by people texting, putting on makeup, etc. Having to duck off, and seeing the car behind you come to a stop 6" from the car that was in front of you is a pretty good reason to split in stop-and-go traffic.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #24
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

Quote:
Well...there's always the argument that because of the likelihood of rear-end collisions, it's safer that sitting in traffic. It's the same justification the NHTSA uses for allowing motorcycles on HOV lanes. I've almost been rear-ended several times by people texting, putting on makeup, etc. Having to duck off, and seeing the car behind you come to a stop 6" from the car that was in front of you is a pretty good reason to split in stop-and-go traffic.
That's why you should always hang it on the rev limiter every 30 seconds or so. Let them know you are there.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #25
pigfarmer
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TardinLA View Post
That's why you should always hang it on the rev limiter every 30 seconds or so. Let them know you are there.
That wouldn't have worked for me until last week when I got rid of the stock exhaust.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
Track_Graphics

[quote=pigfarmer;3842922]
Quote:
I reported a woman for steeling 89 cent bottle of ky syrup once.QUOTE]

son, use that on that instead.
It was my girlfriend and I needed something slippery to break her out of the Iron Bar Hotel - - the jar was big enough, we had extra. It didn't go to waste.....
Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
everybody who gets mad that they sitting in traffic, they should leave earlier to avoid traffic. End of discussion
How about the people lane splitting leaving earlier. End of discussion. lol

It is illegal. Now do I care if you do it? Nope. Now do I care if you do it and some idiot runs you over? Nope. Do what you want, but don't come crying in here when someone tries to run your off the road. We all make our own choices and have to live (or die) with the consequences. I think we have a big example of this going on somewhere.........
Old 11-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #29
Track_Graphics

Quote:
I was first in line sitting in the left turn lane waiting for the green arrow. Late at night. Next two lanes to my right were open. I was the only one at the intersection in all directions. I glimpsed the headlights in my mirror just in time to almost start thinking about saying "oh ". The guy didn't even skid. Next thing I know I was on my back and my bike was in the middle of the intersection.

If I had only been lane splitting at a completely empty intersection - it never would have happened. . . . .
Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
I was first in line sitting in the left turn lane waiting for the green arrow. Late at night. Next two lanes to my right were open. I was the only one at the intersection in all directions. I glimpsed the headlights in my mirror just in time to almost start thinking about saying "oh ". The guy didn't even skid. Next thing I know I was on my back and my bike was in the middle of the intersection.

If I had only been lane splitting at a completely empty intersection - it never would have happened. . . . .
Yup maybe they should make red light running legal. That will fix everything. lol
Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #31
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post

It is illegal. Now do I care if you do it? Nope. Now do I care if you do it and some idiot runs you over? Nope. Do what you want, but don't come crying in here when someone tries to run your off the road. We all make our own choices and have to live (or die) with the consequences. I think we have a big example of this going on somewhere.........
I never lane split and im talking about the people who get mad about sitting in traffic, i always just crank up the music when im sitting in traffic. It helps drown out the voices in my head telling me to do up to everybody who is trying to shoot in and out from lane to lane just to be 1 car ahead of me and slam the brakes after cutting me off

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Friend of mine in California was splitting lanes as he was coming up to a stop light. Perfectly legal in Cali, he was passing the stopped cars going to the front of the line. People don't like it when you take cuts. legal or not
So this guy in a car opens his door right in front of my friend and the edge of the door jams into his hand breaking his fingers and severing a tendon while slicing into his hand. Luckily a cop saw the whole thing and the guy got some jail time for assault with a deadly weapon.

In Cali you can lane split but not at more than 35mph I think it is.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #33
Track_Graphics

FTR - I am ALL IN FAVOR OF LANE SPLITTING.

A few acceptable conditions:
At traffic lights where there are less than 3 lanes (not inclucing turn lanes) and it is actually "between lanes" (not on the sides) and there are more than 5 cars ahead.
On the freeway when traffic has stopped and the rider does not exceed 5mph and does not ride on the shoulder.
When the rider is a girl who's ATGATT consists of a thong bikini and a pink bow in her hair. And she is requjired to stop for photos.
If the rider is on fire and is only tryhing to get to the nearest fire station.
When a rudeass cruiser rider smacks himself . . . . (nah, I won't go there...) I only mention that because of what two did to me on the freeway when I was in my cage. I wish no harm to any rider.

And if PigFarmer changes his name. It's offensive to some religions.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #34
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
Friend of mine in California was splitting lanes as he was coming up to a stop light. Perfectly legal in Cali, he was passing the stopped cars going to the front of the line. People don't like it when you take cuts. legal or not
So this guy in a car opens his door right in front of my friend and the edge of the door jams into his hand breaking his fingers and severing a tendon while slicing into his hand. Luckily a cop saw the whole thing and the guy got some jail time for assault with a deadly weapon.

In Cali you can lane split but not at more than 35mph I think it is.
, nasty injuries, hope they were able to get his hand working correctly again. Awesome the guy did jail time, though!
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #35
POZZD
POZZD

Bike(s):
'14 CB1000R
'03 yz250x

I think it has to do with the American way of thinking, "If I can't do it, then he can't." Also, Texas drivers are some of the most entitled drivers around.
POZZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #36
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post

"You're doing something that is in a gray area of legality so if someone decides they want to kill you then that's your fault"

What?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #37
Track_Graphics

Has anyone every tried to get into the Kemah Boardwalk on a Friday night?? Holy Traffic Jam Batman! You WILL wait on that fargin bridge for an hour. There's ALWAYS riders splitting and running on the shoulders there. I don't blame them one bit and I've done it too, especially if I don't want to go into The Boardwalk. If I just want to go straight I'm not going to sit there until my bike starts flashing and beeping and when it over heats.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #38
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
On top of all these things, for me, it'd EFFICIENCY.

Between work, the ol' lday, household errands, and if I'm lucky- a drink or two with the fellas, I don't have the time of day to waste sitting in traffic.
If I did, I'd be in a car. I don't split ignorantly, or at a high rate of speed... but I sure make plenty of passes on the hwy to get in the clear, and always move through stand-still traffic and say f*ck the haters. ATGATT mean PU knuckles and 2 sets of skin. Not worried if a bro wants to throw down. Just need to avoid getting run over
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #39
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by POZZD View Post
Also, Texas motorcyclists are some of the most entitled drivers around.
Fixed it for you.

On a serious note .........did you even see the hypocrisy in your statement?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #40
POZZD
POZZD

Bike(s):
'14 CB1000R
'03 yz250x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Fixed it for you.

On a serious note .........did you even see the hypocrisy in your statement?

Enlighten me.
POZZD is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement