Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Jclark

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR
2013 Triumph 675R (Track)

Custom suit: Pilot or Heroic?

I'm getting tired of an ill fitting Alpinestars suit. Even after some alterations it just doesn't seem to fit right so I'm taking the plunge into custom leathers.

Obviously Pilot seems like the most popular choice but the kangaroo/cowhide suit that Heroic offers looks appealing too. Anyone dealt with both?
Jclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REVIEW: Pilot Custom 1pc Leathers ormand Gear Talk 42 07-28-2013 01:52 PM
Dean's Cyber Monday Steal of the Day-heroic suit THE DEAN OF LEAN Taking it to the Track 10 11-28-2011 04:18 PM
Pilot EVO Custom Suit - Initial Thoughts cdill35 Gear Talk 9 08-13-2011 02:31 PM
My Spartan Leather custom suit review! CarbonJames Gear Talk 34 01-14-2009 03:50 PM
French pilot has a brown flight suit moment Grinchy Off Topic 18 12-30-2008 11:32 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I love my Syed leathers...one of the best suits ever. I still have it 15 years old. http://www.syedleathers.com/
Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
chase
LOCTITE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Ballistic holds up from what i can tell
Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

I'm glad you asked. I currently rock a killer custom heroic suit. I'll post pictures below. First I'll tell you how much I love my suit and how awesome Todd mcnabey has treated me. The suits quality is awesome, the fit is perfect and I get tons of compliments.

Now for my story, I ordered in early December last year and got the design finalized in January. I didn't receive my suit until June and I'm still waiting on my gloves. The sales lady(no longer there) fed me bs after bs after bs and would never stop talking to listen to what I had to say. I emailed Todd and all of a sudden my suit shipped. The problem is their suits are made in Pakistan and they have no sense of punctuality and delivering their goods in a timely matter. I know Todd has been working hard to get the time line to move along quicker but from my experience only order a custom suit from them if you have time to wait.

The big question, will I order another heroic suit and gloves? Yes but not custom ones, I am close enough to off the rack sizes that custom doesn't hold much value.

E68D779C B470 4024 8ECB 741088932F05 zpsqbjqieep

Last edited by ArkansasDave; 11-12-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Adding picture
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
I love my Syed leathers...one of the best suits ever. I still have it 15 years old. http://www.syedleathers.com/
+1

I finally wore out my syed leathers this season after something like 12-13 years of use.

they are heavier than most of the off-the-rack suits, but the thicker leather also means they crash much better than most of the off-the-rack suits...
CMRA #398
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Slyder on here can fix you up Scott. She does some bad work. She built me a backpack that was a duplicate of my nylon one that kept wearing out.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
i ordered my heroic suit in november, received the wrong one in april or may-ish, after being told february. I was able to borrow that suit until mine came in. During which, stitching in the chest came undone and was exposing skin, having only worn in a handful of times and never crashed.

Got my 'correct' one 3-4 months after that. It still wasn't exactly what I had ordered, but at that point, I didn't care. I just wanted to be done with it. My new suit has held up well in 3 different crashes. Not great, but definitely not bad either. With gear, you never really know how one compares to another because people just dont get in the same wrecks.

It was a pretty frustrating process and I didn't like the lack of communication, but it is what it is. Todd has always been incredibly nice to me, but I think the service lacks.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

There's a few of those companies (heroic and ballistik) that use the same factory in Pakistan. Quality control and fit are occasionally an issue. Count your lucky stars if any overseas custom suit fits right the first time and is delivered on time.

My pilot suit fit right the first time but I think they typically alter and off the rack suit so it's probably easier to get right the first time.

I've heard kick things about Syed as long as you can deal with the late 70's look! Made in USA (FL I think)
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
i ordered my heroic suit in november, received the wrong one in april or may-ish, after being told february. I was able to borrow that suit until mine came in. During which, stitching in the chest came undone and was exposing skin, having only worn in a handful of times and never crashed.

Got my 'correct' one 3-4 months after that. It still wasn't exactly what I had ordered, but at that point, I didn't care. I just wanted to be done with it. My new suit has held up well in 3 different crashes. Not great, but definitely not bad either. With gear, you never really know how one compares to another because people just dont get in the same wrecks.

It was a pretty frustrating process and I didn't like the lack of communication, but it is what it is. Todd has always been incredibly nice to me, but I think the service lacks.
-Cody
I believe I talked to you at a track day event, mine seems to be a better quality than the ones you got. I believe they switched factories between yours and mine. Hopefully I won't need another suit for a few more seasons.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
There's a few of those companies (heroic and ballistik) that use the same factory in Pakistan. Quality control and fit are occasionally an issue. Count your lucky stars if any overseas custom suit fits right the first time and is delivered on time.

My pilot suit fit right the first time but I think they typically alter and off the rack suit so it's probably easier to get right the first time.

I've heard kick things about Syed as long as you can deal with the late 70's look! Made in USA (FL I think)
You weren't kidding about the retro look
Old 11-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

I just ordered a suit from hazardous. So far the service has been great!

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:

Myla and I lucked out with the suits from Brandt and Lisa and we are forever grateful. These suits made us fell safe. Top notch stuff! Ballistik that is...
Jol with CatWalk makes custom made suits and she have years of experience. She is up north of Houston just after Conroe. With jol I know that you can ask her all kinds of customs things to be done so as water reservoir where the hump is, you can choose on the grade of the armor, pockets and mane tags on the liner, and she have a huge selection of brand name patches and more. She does all my repairs and alterations... 936-520-1632

10300501 791505217550638 274979996310296918 n zpsa9d89adc
CMRA#672

Last edited by Rod; 11-12-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
You weren't kidding about the retro look
But they are tough as nails. Not a single repair on mine was ever needed.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
quoted for truth...
CMRA #398
Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Slyder on here can fix you up Scott. She does some bad work. She built me a backpack that was a duplicate of my nylon one that kept wearing out.
I was planning to see what she can do with them. the perf on the sleeves (in the crook of my arm) is disintegrating leaving ever expanding holes.

given my recent trip down the pavement at TWS (Texas World Speedway) T1 (), I'm not all that keen to test the durability of those areas now.

my guess is that the whole sleeve area on both sides will need to be reconstructed with fresh leather, but maybe slyder can put patches on or something.

syed will do the work, too, but I was getting a little tired of the "condiment man" look. plus, these were made for me when I was 50 lbs (!) heavier than I am now, so I really need a full set of alterations anyway.
CMRA #398
Old 11-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
I was planning to see what she can do with them. the perf on the sleeves (in the crook of my arm) is disintegrating leaving ever expanding holes.

given my recent trip down the pavement at TWS (Texas World Speedway) T1 (), I'm not all that keen to test the durability of those areas now.

my guess is that the whole sleeve area on both sides will need to be reconstructed with fresh leather, but maybe slyder can put patches on or something.

syed will do the work, too, but I was getting a little tired of the "condiment man" look. plus, these were made for me when I was 50 lbs (!) heavier than I am now, so I really need a full set of alterations anyway.
Have you considered retiring them...or at least opening up a hot dog stand?

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Scott, Slyder can build the whole sleeve no problem or just replace panels...and lol at the hot dog stand comment Jredford! lol.

I am sure Scott will approve of this picture.
attachmentphp?attachmentid82398&ampstc1&ampd1415849633

Last edited by bdmpastx; 10-04-2016 at 12:17 PM.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Hey - I was looking for that picture!
CMRA #398
Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #19
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR
2013 Triumph 675R (Track)

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be ordering from Pilot. I need the suit by February and the whole being make in Pakistan kind of turns me off.
Jclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post