MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #221
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
The more you type, the more I know you have no idea what you're talking about.
Guess you haven't worked at many bars before...
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lone Star Rally will be no refusal weekend LCLF Brain Events, Meets and Rides 27 11-02-2012 02:28 PM
Statewide No-Refusal Weekend‏ Stromtrooper Off Topic 26 07-02-2011 09:07 AM
FYI - No Refusal Moody General Discussion (Moto Related) 69 12-18-2008 12:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #222
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Guess you haven't worked at many bars before...
See what I'm sayin...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #223
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler83 View Post
Now after thinking about this for all of a half second, If I was a habitual drunk at the bars (i'm not) I would just bring a pocket full of blank keys from Home Depot with me and toss them in your box and be good to go. Seems like you're a good guy that wants to save lives, but i'm against anything the is for bigger government and less self responsibility, and thats what I classify this idea under.
Locking your own keys up so you DON'T have to make a decission on whether you are good to drive when you have already been drinking is the height of taking personal responsiblity. The first thing affected by alchohol use is our judgement. Knowing you are under the limit and having access to your key is better than trying to decide since I feel like I'm close the limit whether I should risk it.

I don't advocate a mandatory use of this type of device nor do I advocate addtitional goveremental involvement.

The chronic alchohol fein is not the target demograph. Its the average guy who is not so strung out that he'd go to home depot and buy blank keys, but has a family and a job and possibly a nice life who would like to party with some buddies and not risk all of that on a bad decission.

Ned the wino on the other hand, usually can't be stopped until he's tempoarily in a free standing or permanently in a subterranean prison.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #224
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
Locking your own keys up so you DON'T have to make a decission on whether you are good to drive when you have already been drinking is the height of taking personal responsiblity. The first thing affected by alchohol use is our judgement. Knowing you are under the limit and having access to your key is better than trying to decide since I feel like I'm close the limit whether I should risk it.

I don't advocate a mandatory use of this type of device nor do I advocate addtitional goveremental involvement.

The chronic alchohol fein is not the target demograph. Its the average guy who is not so strung out that he'd go to home depot and buy blank keys, but has a family and a job and possibly a nice life who would like to party with some buddies and not risk all of that on a bad decission.

Ned the wino on the other hand, usually can't be stopped until he's tempoarily in a free standing or permanently in a subterranean prison.
Most that are that responsible have designated drivers. With my friends it's one of our wives.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #225
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Experience: 9 years
Quote:

If people were willing to use such a device I don't believe there would be a market for it.
Because everyone, as Toe said would have one of these already

But this is just my opinion, I say go ahead waste your money developing a product that will cost business's money to buy and will cost them sales. Get back with us when you've made it big with this million dollar idea.

In fact here is a application to one of my favorite TV shows, please sign up.
I'm sure I would enjoy the comments they would have for you.
http://abc.go.com/shows/shark-tank/apply
tyler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #226
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
OK, so let's say you sell one of these freedom killers. What setpoint would you set it at?
Freedom killers are the guys who stuble out of a bar and run some one off the road or actually kill some because they are too impaired to drive.

Freedom killers are the people who force law enformcent and EMT's to repsond to unecessary accidents tying up needed resources so that they either aren't available or are delayed when someone actually needs them.

Freedom killers are the court systems that have ZERO interest in preventing crime so that they can generate revenue from TAXING the defendent with court fees.

Freedom killers are the lawyers who pray on the bad decissions of people driving them into ruin with huge fees to remain free.

Freedom killers are the exhorbidant insurrance fees that lap up disposable income from the masses to pay for the idiocy of a few.

I hadn't thought of a name yet but a DrinkSafe would keep your:
Fun Safe
Vehicle Safe
Record Safe
LIFE SAFE

safe from what? Not what, who. Safe from you.

In answer to your question I don't know what a price break would be since we are proofing the concept and improving the design. Hompefully it will be about as expesnive as a reservations pager. Like I said we are in the prototype phase.
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #227
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

My question wasn't about price point, it was about setpoint. What setpoint would you set the unlock?

Btw, since you've done all this research, how many of these dwi wrecks were confirmed bar attendees? I see you've got your sales pitch down but I'd also like to see how many bars you've talked to that welcomed the idea. Don't lie now...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #228
BlueNinja650

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
2014 Kawasaki Ninja

As an EMT, I can't count the number of DWI related MC crashes I have seen and worked. And had unfortunately pulled up on the Houston PD officer and wife fatality in Galveston earlier this year- killed by a drunk. Drinking and driving, and drinking and riding dont mix. It is bad enough in a "cager", but doing it on 2 wheels- riding is risky enough, add alcohol into the mix and you are playing Russian roulette.

Quote:
Freedom killers are the guys who stuble out of a bar and run some one off the road or actually kill some because they are too impaired to drive.

Freedom killers are the people who force law enformcent and EMT's to repsond to unecessary accidents tying up needed resources so that they either aren't available or are delayed when someone actually needs them.

Freedom killers are the court systems that have ZERO interest in preventing crime so that they can generate revenue from TAXING the defendent with court fees.

Freedom killers are the lawyers who pray on the bad decissions of people driving them into ruin with huge fees to remain free.

Freedom killers are the exhorbidant insurrance fees that lap up disposable income from the masses to pay for the idiocy of a few.

I hadn't thought of a name yet but a DrinkSafe would keep your:
Fun Safe
Vehicle Safe
Record Safe
LIFE SAFE

safe from what? Not what, who. Safe from you.

In answer to your question I don't know what a price break would be since we are proofing the concept and improving the design. Hompefully it will be about as expesnive as a reservations pager. Like I said we are in the prototype phase.
BlueNinja650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #229
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler83 View Post
But this is just my opinion, I say go ahead waste your money developing a product that will cost business's money to buy and will cost them sales. Get back with us when you've made it big with this million dollar idea.

In fact here is a application to one of my favorite TV shows, please sign up.
I'm sure I would enjoy the comments they would have for you.
http://abc.go.com/shows/shark-tank/apply
I appreciate both your comments and your attempt at sarcasm. It's not about hitting it big. Its about giving people an option to be able to protect themselves from themselves. The problem is if you give a person with impaired judgement the option to make a decission that requires good or even objective judgement you are "asking a paw to do the work of the hand" it works ok until you need opposable thumbs. It does no good to have a personal breathalyzer if one can just ignore the results and carry on their merry way pass or fail.

What gets me is people complain about DWI's and the dangers. People complain about COPs and No Refusal days but there is always little appettite to take proactive steps to improve either. Its only when someone is killed or injured by a drunk that we are willing to over react with knee jerk responses. I prefer to take the bat out of the governments hands by stepping in dealing with the issues before they get a chance to make it even worse.

Thank everyone for there constructive and informative feed back
Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #230
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
My question wasn't about price point, it was about setpoint. What setpoint would you set the unlock?

Btw, since you've done all this research, how many of these dwi wrecks were confirmed bar attendees? I see you've got your sales pitch down but I'd also like to see how many bars you've talked to that welcomed the idea. Don't lie now...
It's currenly programmed to read the magnetic strip of a Texas DL so it depends. If you have a CDL, .035 otherwise it unlocks at .071.

Hadn't given the sales pitch a single thought until your "freedom killers" comment. I had a guy for that, but if I use your idea I'll break you off some of what ever nothing this idea will make.

The research for our business case shows that its really a mix of residential, bars, restraruants, clubs and hotels. Resdientials and Hotels spike on holidays and bars account the most for mid week DWI's, but the main issues are weekend club and restraruant goers.

I haven't really talked with bars and clubs, the enviorments are too unpredicatable to have much of a viable market with them, I have been in conversations with Hotels and upscale restraurants who like the idea.

Like I said its the occassional person with a lot to protect looking to have a good time as opposed to the weekly/ daily lush who is an accident waiting to happen that this will help.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #231
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
I appreciate both your comments and your attempt at sarcasm. It's not about hitting it big. Its about giving people an option to be able to protect themselves from themselves. The problem is if you give a person with impaired judgement the option to make a decission that requires good or even objective judgement you are "asking a paw to do the work of the hand" it works ok until you need opposable thumbs. It does no good to have a personal breathalyzer if one can just ignore the results and carry on their merry way pass or fail.

What gets me is people complain about DWI's and the dangers. People complain about COPs and No Refusal days but there is always little appettite to take proactive steps to improve either. Its only when someone is killed or injured by a drunk that we are willing to over react with knee jerk responses. I prefer to take the bat out of the governments hands by stepping in dealing with the issues before they get a chance to make it even worse.

Thank everyone for there constructive and informative feed back
I really don't hate your idea, I just don't think it would fly in any bar that wants to make money. In fact the wall hung one that's in the bars around here are more used as leverage by friends and bartenders. I really don't think you need any more than that. One more question. Who exactly are you going to pass the cost to? How do you plan on making money? If you expect the bar to pay for it, you have an uphill battle and try another strategy. Most of the vending is free with 50% to the bar....
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #232
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Bars aren't our target. Upscale restaruants and Hotels have expressed the interest, event centers as well. All started because we had an incident at a wedding rehersal dinner where a guy had too much to drink at the open bar and the family wound up taking his keys since his wife or whoever didn't want him to drive but was too toasty to drive herself. Fours later towards the end of the night they were in much better condition grabbed the keys and got ready to go. Drove right up to a check point and the guy blew a .082 and got popped for DUI . Created all sorts of problems for their family. Really could have been avoided but HE thought he was ok.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #233
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #234
dudleyfire

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000RR
03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
98 CBR600F3 (sold)
07 Harley Sportster 1200 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfarmer View Post
Just admit it. Your birth was her first accident. I bet she was wasted when she Fk'd your pops. Fk, I would start drinking if you were my son also. Arrest your mother? What a fucktard.

, you're a .

That is all.
dudleyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #235
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #236
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Like we dont realize we are impaired when we drive after drinking. Who needs to be told they are? If you are that stupid its best you dont drink at all. It a willful act. No product can replace judgement when judgement is needed to use product
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #237
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Bars aren't our target. Upscale restaruants and Hotels have expressed the interest, event centers as well. All started because we had an incident at a wedding rehersal dinner where a guy had too much to drink at the open bar and the family wound up taking his keys since his wife or whoever didn't want him to drive but was too toasty to drive herself. Fours later towards the end of the night they were in much better condition grabbed the keys and got ready to go. Drove right up to a check point and the guy blew a .082 and got popped for DUI . Created all sorts of problems for their family. Really could have been avoided but HE thought he was ok.
I don't know where the incident happened but weddings must have an officer present if alcohol is served. Did the officer not think the guy was impaired and when did Houston start running check points?
Here's the rub, If you aren't trying to target all establishments then whats the point? Why would a hotel or restaurant be your only target? If this is such a good idea, wouldn't everyone want to use your freedom killer and who's paying for it? Is it a fee to use or does the establishment pay a one time fee?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #238
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Like we dont realize we are impaired when we drive after drinking. Who needs to be told they are? If you are that stupid its best you dont drink at all. It a willful act. No product can replace judgement when judgement is needed to use product
I don't think there's a swinging that would swipe his drivers license in a machine at any establishment to have a few drinks. Not going to happen...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #239
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

no. Got to be some kind of stupid for that to happen
Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #240
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

so did the police release the LSR statistics yet? how many DWIs? how many deaths, etc?
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement