MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #201
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
I'm in the preliminary stages on a prototype key locker that requires a swipe of a driver's license or credit card, and a passing score on a breathalyzer in order to release the lock and retrieve the key. The device would be used in bars or restaurants where in order to purchase alcohol the patrons would surrender their keys which would be locked in the device with the combination being the magnetic code from the patrons driver's license or credit card and blowing below the legal limit on a portable breathalyzer.

Unlike the current systems which all seek to penalize drunk drivers after the fact, I'm looking for a cheap way to protect the drivers (and the public) before the fact. Yes it wouldn't be fool proof being that fools are so persistent and creative but I think it could prevent a good number of incidents if it were widely excepted.

Would any you guys be willing to submit to such a program? The device is small enough to keep with you at your table or kept at the bar. You would just plug it in to the breathalyzer, swipe, blow and go. A similar device is mounted in the cars of DWI convicts but, Id like something that can be in place before theyve killed some family and risked all our lives. The one in cars is currently more a money making scheme for the court than anything else. Im more interested in prevention than penalization.
Thoughts? If a bar or restaurant asked you to lock down you keys in exchange for selling you alcohol would you do it or would you go somewhere else? Comments?
I see two problems but it's a good idea.
1. How will the bar operator know you're giving them the key to the car you're driving? How do they know you don't have a spare?
2. If you do have to take a cab home, who wants to wait until the next night to retrieve their key?
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lone Star Rally will be no refusal weekend LCLF Brain Events, Meets and Rides 27 11-02-2012 02:28 PM
Statewide No-Refusal Weekend‏ Stromtrooper Off Topic 26 07-02-2011 09:07 AM
FYI - No Refusal Moody General Discussion (Moto Related) 69 12-18-2008 12:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #202
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Experience: 9 years
Quote:
I'm in the preliminary stages on a prototype key locker that requires a swipe of a driver's license or credit card, and a passing score on a breathalyzer in order to release the lock and retrieve the key. The device would be used in bars or restaurants where in order to purchase alcohol the patrons would surrender their keys which would be locked in the device with the combination being the magnetic code from the patrons driver's license or credit card and blowing below the legal limit on a portable breathalyzer.

Unlike the current systems which all seek to penalize drunk drivers after the fact, I'm looking for a cheap way to protect the drivers (and the public) before the fact. Yes it wouldn't be fool proof being that fools are so persistent and creative but I think it could prevent a good number of incidents if it were widely excepted.

Would any you guys be willing to submit to such a program? The device is small enough to keep with you at your table or kept at the bar. You would just plug it in to the breathalyzer, swipe, blow and go. A similar device is mounted in the cars of DWI convicts but, Id like something that can be in place before theyve killed some family and risked all our lives. The one in cars is currently more a money making scheme for the court than anything else. Im more interested in prevention than penalization.
Thoughts? If a bar or restaurant asked you to lock down you keys in exchange for selling you alcohol would you do it or would you go somewhere else? Comments?
I would go elsewhere immediately and never return to any establishment that wanted to lock up my keys before I spent any money there. What ever happened to people being responsible for themselves? I don't need a babysitter and I don't expect the next guy to need one either.
tyler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #203
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler83 View Post
I would go elsewhere immediately and never return to any establishment that wanted to lock up my keys before I spent any money there. What ever happened to people being responsible for themselves? I don't need a babysitter and I don't expect the next guy to need one either.
+1 And there wouldn't be a bartender around that work in an establishment that had that kind of system.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #204
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

The establishments may start enforcing such an idea in order to keep themselves out of liability when a drunk driver goes out and kills someone. Many times now, bars and such are now the targets of legal battles when someone leaves their bar and kills someone.

And Bevo is right, they could always outsmart a such system. Foolproof only takes a smarter fool.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #205
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I see two problems but it's a good idea.
1. How will the bar operator know you're giving them the key to the car you're driving? How do they know you don't have a spare?
2. If you do have to take a cab home, who wants to wait until the next night to retrieve their key?
Like I said it isn't fool proof because fools are so persistent and creative. There are plenty of ways to beat every system.

If you take a cab home you still have retrieve your vehicle.

Quote:
It wouldn't be as you came in the door, it would only be if you ordered alchohol. When you opperate a vehicle in public with other drivers you are not just responsible for your own safety you are also responsible and liable for the safety of others as a consequence of your actions or in the case of the good samaritan laws, inaction. Its premise of why we have to pay insurrance, or get an edorsement. Yep, self policing is working so we we hardly ever have DWI's at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
+1 And there wouldn't be a bartender around that work in an establishment that had that kind of system.
Hey Toe that's an interesting comment, could you elaborate on your reasoning as to why please. Thanks
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #206
TheFantasticG

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
I didn't fail to quote . Click on the > to the right of the user name in the quote to take you back to the OPWhat makes me feel better is getting a full days ride in while you're having sleepy time. You're welcome
Failed to quote the 2nd post that outlined my hours of operation.

Happy for you. I only work six months out of the year so I have plenty of time to ride and sleep in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Incorrect.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	82296  
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #207
BlueNinja650

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
2014 Kawasaki Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Do you think that people should be allowed to drink and drive? Assuming you are a reasonable human being and the answer to that question is no, how do you think we should detect violators if not for government interaction? Again, just curious here.
My mother has been arrested twice for DWI in the last 16 months. 2 weeks ago she totaled her truck here in Conroe. I don't know how in the she pulled it off- but the officer was 1) at the end of shift 2) didn't give a , 3) didn't want to do a report or 4) felt sorry for her.

She rear ended a Budget moving van. No damage to it. He let her go in an Ambo to the hospital and gave her a ticket for "following too close".

Should have been a 3rd DWI- felony. I have to say, I would have arrested my own mother. I have let her sit in jail before- for extended periods. (She was .16 2 hours after the accident)

I am pretty heartless when it comes to DWI. In 1999/2000, I arrested the EX Red River County Sheriff on his 10th DWI. At some point, there has to be government interaction. Maybe on the 1st, send them straight to rehab- but this repeated is getting old....
BlueNinja650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #208
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantasticG View Post
Failed to quote the 2nd post that outlined my hours of operation.

Happy for you. I only work six months out of the year so I have plenty of time to ride and sleep in.
It wasn't a failure, it was a refusal. , you're up early! You failed to post your hours of operation during your first mention of KSU times

Last edited by Bevo; 11-10-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #209
TheFantasticG

Bike(s):
'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
, you're up early!
I know... It's a work day... ...been a slow morning though
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #210
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Hey Toe that's an interesting comment, could you elaborate on your reasoning as to why please. Thanks
Bartender don't make their money on the one beer Joe. They make their money on the regulars and that fancy machine would keep them from coming in.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #211
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Bartender don't make their money on the one beer Joe. They make their money on the regulars and that fancy machine would keep them from coming in.
Ok, but wouldn't being able to drink to your heart's content knowing you wouldn't have to worry about protecting yourself from yourself by drinking and driving be a draw?

In my mind it
  • allows business to demonstrate due deligence meet insurance and liabilty from law suits that arrise from wrongful deaths due to DWI.
  • protects drivers from their own impaired judgement when intoxicated
  • Gives drivers confidence that even though they have tied one or seven on that as they get behind the wheel they are below the legal limit should they be stopped for any reason
  • Reduces the number of potential DWI cases that Emergency Repsonders must deal with freeing up resources for other areas
  • Allows drivers to be proactive in the process avoiding DWI altogether
  • Lowers insurrance cost for all drivers since we don't have to continue to pay for the destruction casued by so many DUI cases

My feeling if you can prevent just 5 DWI cases a year, that's 5 to 15 families whose lives will not be destroyed and disrupted by one bad decission.

Last edited by Classax; 11-10-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #212
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
True, bartenders make almost all of their money by vastly over-serving people that are clearly intoxicated and are essentially fired if they refuse to serve. Go figure, the bartender can be sued for serving a guy that hits and kills someone on the way home.

It's a big problem, actually. Legally the bartender is responsible to stop serving people who are intoxicated, but it's not always easy to tell. Once again, lack of personal responsibility puts the blame on someone else. Maybe a system like this would ensure that people be responsible for their own actions.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #213
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfarmer View Post
Arrest your mother? What a fucktard.
Yup, you should bury yours instead
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #214
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Ok, but wouldn't being able to drink to your heart's content knowing you wouldn't have to worry about protecting yourself from yourself by drinking and driving be a draw?

In my mind it
  • allows business to demonstrate due deligence meet insurance and liabilty from law suits that arrise from wrongful deaths due to DWI.
  • Gives drivers confidence that even though they have tied one or seven on that as they get behind the wheel they are below the legal limit should they be stopped for any reason
  • Reduces the number of potential DWI cases that Emergency Repsonders must deal with freeing up resources for other areas
  • Lowers insurrance cost for all drivers since we don't have to continue to pay for the destruction casued by so many DUI cases

My feeling if you can prevent just 5 DWI cases a year, that's 5 to 15 families whose lives will not be destroyed and disrupted by one bad decission.
Your idea is a decent one but it doesn't make the industry money. In fact it would hurt it enough that it would shut most of them down. What's next? A breathalyzer in every car? that...
They already make a pay breathalyzer that hangs on the wall at most of the bars around here. It's left up to the bartender to police their patrons and when I doubt she's flip the patron $.50 and tell him to blow in the machine.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #215
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
True, bartenders make almost all of their money by vastly over-serving people that are clearly intoxicated and are essentially fired if they refuse to serve. Go figure, the bartender can be sued for serving a guy that hits and kills someone on the way home.

It's a big problem, actually. Legally the bartender is responsible to stop serving people who are intoxicated, but it's not always easy to tell. Once again, lack of personal responsibility puts the blame on someone else. Maybe a system like this would ensure that people be responsible for their own actions.
The more you type, the more I know you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #216
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Experience: 9 years
Quote:

In my mind it

Now after thinking about this for all of a half second, If I was a habitual drunk at the bars (i'm not) I would just bring a pocket full of blank keys from Home Depot with me and toss them in your box and be good to go. Seems like you're a good guy that wants to save lives, but i'm against anything the is for bigger government and less self responsibility, and thats what I classify this idea under.
tyler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #217
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Now after thinking about this for all of a half second, If I was a habitual drunk at the bars (i'm not) I would just bring a pocket full of blank keys from Home Depot with me and toss them in your box and be good to go. Seems like you're a good guy that wants to save lives, but i'm against anything the is for bigger government and less self responsibility, and thats what I classify this idea under.
We agree! Yay!!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #218
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Your idea is a decent one but it doesn't make the industry money. In fact it would hurt it enough that it would shut most of them down. What's next? A breathalyzer in every car? that...
They already make a pay breathalyzer that hangs on the wall at most of the bars around here. It's left up to the bartender to police their patrons and when I doubt she's flip the patron $.50 and tell him to blow in the machine.
I see your points.

My device would take the bartender out of the equation and allow the patrons to police themselves. Drink all you want. Just know before you start you won't be driving anywhere until its out of your system enough for you to not get your self, bartender, or bar in trouble. It shifts the liabilty to the consumer where it belongs.

Still you raise valid points. Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #219
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Ok, but wouldn't being able to drink to your heart's content knowing you wouldn't have to worry about protecting yourself from yourself by drinking and driving be a draw?......
What would prevent another person from blowing into the machine?

what if someone looking to make a quick buck just sits inside of a bar and charges $15 a pop to blow into the machine and unlocks all the keys? You could take paypal through your phone or even better just use the square https://squareup.com/pricing/
Old 11-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #220
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
I see your points.

My device would take the bartender out of the equation and allow the patrons to police themselves. Drink all you want. Just know before you start you won't be driving anywhere until its out of your system enough for you to not get your self, bartender, or bar in trouble. It shifts the liabilty to the consumer where it belongs.

Still you raise valid points. Thanks
OK, so let's say you sell one of these freedom killers. What setpoint would you set it at?

Advertisement