MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Brushing up my Emerg Braking yesterday ... cagers

Riding home 528 into Friendswood, approaching Sunset in the far left lane, when a lady in a green Expedition talking on her cell phone decides she needs to be in my lane. I was positioned such that she and I were pretty much side by side with me being slightly behind. No blinkers at all mind you ... as soon as I noticed her coming over, I got on both brakes, locked up the rear but thankfully not the front. She ended up missing me by a couple feet. I got on my cheesy horn (reminder to get a new horn), and all she did was wave to me one of those "I'm sorry ... gotta go" waves.

The funny thing was, was that the guy next to me in an old beat up mustang was more off than I was, he was telling me to go and pound on her window and tell her off ... 10 years ago, I probably would have, but I guess with age and maturity brings a more level head.

Becareful out there everyone ... they really are out to get us.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do cagers think they can do this? Squidward General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 04-24-2013 09:07 PM
Thank you cagers!!! CraigRR General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-14-2012 10:14 AM
Cagers morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-15-2011 10:38 AM
Is it really the cagers fault? albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 11-01-2010 08:48 PM
AIR BRUSHING! i need someone who can do it!!! Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 3 03-01-2007 06:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Dub_B83

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Me and a few others were talking about people who drive like that... Glad to hear you weren't in an accident. I definitely fly the bird in those situations. I think everyone should be forced to drive a motorcycle before they get their regular license, it would save gas ( knows how many Hummers there are out there with only 1 person in them getting an actual 2 MPG) but also educate them of the extra hazards we deal with on a daily basis. We don't have a cage to protect us from minor errors.

This one had it coming - This one found a vein
This one was an accident, but never gave me pain
This one was my fathers and This one you can't see
This one had me scared to death,
[U]But I guess I should be glad I'm not dead[/U]

Yes I am made of scars
That's what I'm made of!![/CENTER]
Dub_B83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Sorry you had to go thru that

I always* and stress always* leave a buffer space around me. If any vehicle gets near or beside me I speed up so as to be seen. Or slow a little so as not to be in a cell phone talking mom 's blind spot. never just cruise along side anyone for just that reason.

Glad you only had to get some practice on the emergency braking and didnt take a spill
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

yeah, i would have at least told her she was number 1.

with a hand signal of course.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
A303

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock

I always* and stress always* leave a buffer space around me. If any vehicle gets near or beside me I speed up so as to be seen. Or slow a little so as not to be in a cell phone talking mom 's blind spot. never just cruise along side anyone for just that reason.

Glad you only had to get some practice on the emergency braking and didnt take a spill
Im the same way, i hate being in that spot
July 25, 1977 - April 22, 2007
You will be missed.
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

blind spots are bad enough as it is, but for some reason cell phones cause tunnel vision.

Yes I am made of scars
Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Good points all, I was really keen about that buffer zone this morning on the ride in to work ... nothing like a close call to make you more aware. I do know this ... riding my bike has made me a better car driver ... always looking to make sure I don't end up hurting one of us.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
Good points all, I was really keen about that buffer zone this morning on the ride in to work ... nothing like a close call to make you more aware. I do know this ... riding my bike has made me a better car driver ... always looking to make sure I don't end up hurting one of us.
My point exactly

Yes I am made of scars
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
riding my bike has made me a better car driver ... always looking to make sure I don't end up hurting one of us.
I have definitely become a better car driver now that I ride... I practice what I preach by not using my own cellphone when driving and I make sure to check all around me before changing lanes.

As others have said, tho, I create a buffer zone ALWAYS. If someone tries to get beside me, I speed up or slow down. I avoid congested driving situations, as well. Be safe out there!
HellFroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
ga_goosh
It's Me...

Bike(s):
for now...nothing :(

Quote:
Riding home 528 into Friendswood, approaching Sunset in the far left lane, when a lady in a green Expedition talking on her cell phone decides she needs to be in my lane. I was positioned such that she and I were pretty much side by side with me being slightly behind. No blinkers at all mind you ... as soon as I noticed her coming over, I got on both brakes, locked up the rear but thankfully not the front. She ended up missing me by a couple feet. I got on my cheesy horn (reminder to get a new horn), and all she did was wave to me one of those "I'm sorry ... gotta go" waves.

The funny thing was, was that the guy next to me in an old beat up mustang was more off than I was, he was telling me to go and pound on her window and tell her off ... 10 years ago, I probably would have, but I guess with age and maturity brings a more level head.

Becareful out there everyone ... they really are out to get us.
that is why you keep old spark plugs in your pocket . just toss it at the window and it is no more.
ga_goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock

+100000000

and before u pass an 18 wheeler always drop a gear and pin it
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
whosthis
ahhhhh sexii lmao!!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
KTM
R6

that sux, some people just dont care cause the phone or where thier goin seems to be more important then lookin in ur mirra and blind stop for some 1... these people who dont give a end up runnin some 1 over by not lookin only get a slap on the hand while we get put 6 ft under
whosthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
Swift E

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Locking up the rear isn't always the best way to prevent an accident.

(but who am I to judge)

Glad you're OK

Advertisement