MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #41
Mace
Wisdom

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococnc View Post
I have a 2007 SV650 that is a perfect first bike.

IMG 20140619 211140
Well sorted, nice
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #42
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ballard View Post
I just started riding myself. Gear wise, I agree with the around 500 dollar gear budget. You can find a DOT certified full face helmet for 200 new and there are a lot of "gently" used helmets floating around. Jacket with elbow pads for less than 100, gloves for 50-70. and boots for 60. Rough estimates. Getting started on a bike is expensive. BUT it is a great experience. And less gas cost!
A helmet is the one piece of equipment I would NEVER recommend buying used. With all other gear, you can spot structural damage visually. Not so with the impact-absorbing liner in a helmet. But, like you said as well, a good helmet is not necessarily that expensive.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #43
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
That Shoei is available in sizes XL through XXL. I don't think I would advise anyone to go dirt cheap on gear and definitely not someone who hasn't bought a first bike yet. I had a HJC cl-16 like mentioned earlier in this thread and it was a real piece of (ymmv). We are coming up on winter, the jacket you linked is perforated. In Houston you will have a hard time making a summer jacket work in Dec-Feb. You didn't include pants. I don't care how many long johns you layer on, a cold winter morning will freeze you without decent motorcycle pants.

You are also more experienced with buying gear. A newb knows nothing about gear which always costs you more.
All good points. That link wasn't the only Qwest I've seen at that price, just an example, but that is exactly why I had also said it will take time to find the right deals. Unfortunately for me, I seem to wear just about the most common sizes in all gear, which makes finding "deals" on new gear harder, as they're the first sizes to sell out.

When it comes to helmets, I don't like to point someone in the direction of a specific brand. I like HJC because I've found they fit my head shape well, but as I'm always "shopping" deals on gear, that's just what pops into mind first. If buying a helmet for the first time, I'd definitely say find a store that carries a large variety of helmets, and try on just about everything they have. THEN start shopping for deals on what fits you well.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #44
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

An example of one of those good deals, since you're looking for more than just a helmet, this vendor will give you a store credit with purchase of the HJC CL-16 (DOT and Snell approved) helmet making the net cost of the helmet just under $10. Use the gift card toward a jacket, gloves, boots, whatever. This is the kind of deal you can use to easily get your "full gear" purchase under $500.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ne_helmet.html
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #45
zikaprevail

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

I bought a suzuki 750 for 2,400 cash. Sold it a year and 12,000 miles later for 3,000. So you can save money. Id just look at craigslist and buy what you feel comfortable with. I did get motorycle license first. You can save money and.ride.
zikaprevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #46
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

ID just bite the bullet and buy a helmet for around $500...many reaons being comfort and safety....yeah u can spend less....but trust me you'll buy a new helmet and be why u didnt get a good one the first time aroun.d
Old 11-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #47
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Now is a good time to helmet shop. Lots of designs are being discontinued and blown out. I've seen Bell Ride Smart-1 helmets as cheap as $200. You may not get the exact design you want but you'll be getting a quality lid to get you started.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement