MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #21
ArkansasDave

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
REALLY? My full 2 pc suit barely used was $160. My Sidi boots were $60. My HJC CL-16 was like $100 on closeout. And my Ballistik gauntlets were $40. So yes, someone who is budget minded can easily find quality used and closeout gear for less than $500. Go rain on someone elses parade. I do agree with having health insurance....but, if the kid is young with 0 dependants, why in the would he need life insurance? Geez.
Do you ride around the street in your 2 piece? I also question the quality of all your gear and how it will actually hold up in a crash. Please don't go testing it.

My point is only that he thinks he can save money by getting a motorcycle and that will never be the case with cheap fuel efficient cars out there. If he wants to ride to ride, then that's a different story. Just trying to be real and set expectations.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #22
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Who's going to pay to bury "you"?
you know what a funeral costs? Unfortunately, I do as I recently had to lay someone close to me down. If you carry life insurance for the sole aspect of funeral costs....by all means.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #23
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Do you ride around the street in your 2 piece? I also question the quality of all your gear and how it will actually hold up in a crash. Please don't go testing it.

My point is only that he thinks he can save money by getting a motorcycle and that will never be the case with cheap fuel efficient cars out there. If he wants to ride to ride, then that's a different story. Just trying to be real and set expectations.
Nope, I ride in my mesh jacket that was $200 and steel toed boots on the streets. I don't question my suit....it's bound to be better than the $100 Frank Thomas I tested 3 times a few years back.

I agree that riding generally doesn't "save" money, but if the kid just wants a bike at a young age it can be done on the cheap.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
$500 for gear? That buys a helmet and a wife beater? Seriously though that's barely enough for a helmet and gloves, let alone jacket pants and boots.
This is far from true. Especially if you don't have a bike and endorsement yet, you can afford to wait for just the right deal. There are lots of end of season deals on gear right now, and it's not difficult to find last season's graphic helmets over 50% off. I've seen several Shoei's not too much over $200, though I've seen quite a few clearance DOT/Snell helmets under $75 (~60% off). Pick up a leather jacket around $150, leather gloves under $50, and some knee pads around $20. Just about any lace-up boots will be decent for street use, though obviously motorcycle-specific stuff is better.

It's definitely possible to get good, inexpensive gear. Also post up in the Gear give/take thread in the classified section, as there are people with good used gear who are willing to help out a new rider.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Helmet for about $70. I happen to like the way HJC's fit, and have this helmet myself:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ne_helmet.html

In case that isn't good enough for you, here's a Shoei Qwest for $260:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ge_helmet.html

AGV Leather jacket at $140
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...er_jacket.html

Gloves under $50, just take your pick:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/gloves/

Sidi street boots, $100
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...eet_boots.html

knee pads, $15
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ards_2009.html

or $45 from A*
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ee_guards.html

And don't forget to call some of our sponsors. I know Motorcycles Unlimited is having a sale on in-stock Joe Rocket jackets right now, and they're great about being able to match prices.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #26
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

That list with the shoei is over $600 and leaves you paying for the skin grafts for your legs. Sure it can be done relatively cheaply I'm just willing to accept the risk, especially to "save" money.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
That list with the shoei is over $600 and leaves you paying for the skin grafts for your legs. Sure it can be done relatively cheaply I'm just willing to accept the risk, especially to "save" money.
I've been down at 60 mph on the highway wearing no leg guards, and can tell you "first hand" that those $20 knee guards would've saved me $2k in urgent care center bills. (All because I needed 3 stitches in my knee...)

Ok, so add in the $50 for a pair of used padded overpants (that I actually wear about 3 months out of the year), and my actual list of crash protected gear is about $450.

Gear that I wear daily:
Helmet: $70 HJC (crash tested a couple of them, they work fine)
Gloves: $50 Joe Rocket full gauntlet, $25 Bilt waterproof winter gloves when it's cold
Jacket: $100 clearance leather jacket, or $120 clearance A* Dry Star touring jacket
Legs: $50 Icon Field Armor knee/shin guards (occasionally)
Boots: this is more difficult to quantify. Typically I wear $150 Ariat steel toe boots that were subsidized by my job, but occasionally still wear my waterproof Icon Patrol boots, that were closer to $180.
Pants: I've got several pairs of kevlar lined jeans (can be found for ~$80), the overpants stated above, but typically just wear Duluth Fire Hose jeans (~$75).

Day in, day out, that's my gear. I've got close to 80k miles in that gear (or similar, money wise, I'm sure in total I've spent probably closer to $1k per year on gear over the last 7 years), including three street wrecks and one on dirt. Worst injury I've gotten so far was needing 3 stitches in my knee this past summer, as I went sliding down 610 not wearing my knee pads.

"Fully geared" during summer months I've got under $500 of dedicated riding gear on, when it drops below 40F, maybe closer to $550. I guess I shouldn't bother mentioning that I got my 1-piece track leathers for about $100, because that would make my track-specific gear even less expensive than my street gear. (This is not to indicate it's sufficient for anything outside Level 1, but if I make it past my first track day, I'll look at upgrading a bit at a time.)

It's not unrealistic to think you could be well-protected at the $500 mark.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #28
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Well I guess after 6 concussions I don't trust a $70 helmet or other cheap gear. Glad it's worked out for you though.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #29
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Well I guess after 6 concussions
So that explains it.

An expensive helmet is not going to protect you any better than a "cheap" Snell approved helmet. You're paying for lighter, more expensive material and not better protection. No helmet is concussion proof anyway.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #30
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
So that explains it.

An expensive helmet is not going to protect you any better than a "cheap" Snell approved helmet. You're paying for lighter, more expensive material and not better protection. No helmet is concussion proof anyway.
don't tell him that....or neon samurai for that matter.

go rain elsewhere Dave....the kid is looking to ride a bike on the street, not race CMRA and incur 6 concussions along the way.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #31
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
So that explains it.

I don't agree but don't really want to argue this.

At this point any significant blow to my head will give me a concussion and damage my memory more.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #32
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Who's going to pay to bury "you"?
Get the new Kawi H2, YOLO!
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #33
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
don't tell him that....or neon samurai for that matter.

go rain elsewhere Dave....the kid is looking to ride a bike on the street, not race CMRA and incur 6 concussions along the way.
If he wants to ride on the street to ride that's awesome, he said he was spending money to save money. That will never happen with street riding. It should be because you want to ride and enjoy the freedom a bike gives you.

That being said I'll sell the OP my ninja 500 for $2800, perfect beginner bike.

Also none of the concussion were caused from riding at the track.
Liked this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I don't agree but don't really want to argue this.

At this point any significant blow to my head will give me a concussion and damage my memory more.
In your spare time:
http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

There are other sources too
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #35
s.ballard

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

I just started riding myself. Gear wise, I agree with the around 500 dollar gear budget. You can find a DOT certified full face helmet for 200 new and there are a lot of "gently" used helmets floating around. Jacket with elbow pads for less than 100, gloves for 50-70. and boots for 60. Rough estimates. Getting started on a bike is expensive. BUT it is a great experience. And less gas cost!
s.ballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #36
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
In your spare time:
http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

There are other sources too
I see that hjc is rated 3 stars and shoei is 4 stars. Worth it for me. Thanks for the link it was very informative.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #37
BlueNinja650

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
2014 Kawasaki Ninja

Quote:
$500 for gear? That buys a helmet and a wife beater? Seriously though that's barely enough for a helmet and gloves, let alone jacket pants and boots.
Just personally, don't even wast your money on a cyclegear BILT suit or jacket. Go with a brand name.

I went with 2 alpinestars leather jackets (1 perf, 1 non perf), Sidi boots, Alpinestars gloves, SHOEI helmet and a 1 pc for about 2-2500k. Best investment I could have made.

I have seen that bilt disengrate, zippers burst loose etc- while not even being in an accident.
BlueNinja650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #38
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo
'15 Duke 690 (sold) '08 Ninja 250 (sold), '10 BMW S1000rr (sold) '02 RC51 (sold)
'09 & '05 R1, '07 CBR600 (all sold)
'08 Aprilia SXV550 (sold)
'01 RC51, '01 CBR929 (all sold)

Take the MSF safety course before you buy anything. Riding street is dangerous, especially in Houston.

Bike: Ninja 250. Cheap, reliable, fun to ride, easy to sell when you want to upgrade.

Gear: Gently used or new name brand. I found a brand new Shoei 1100 helmet on ebay for $200 a year ago. Don't skimp on gear, if you go down it is your only protection from a high speed sanding. You don't have to empty the bank account, but it will be between $500-$1000 for gear if you are patient.

I prefer having a car to get around in daily and a bike for fun. You can buy an older Honda car or even a more fun Nissan 240sx, etc for the price of a motorcycle and gear and they come with AC/heat and protection from the rain. Just something to think about.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #39
Marxalot

Bike(s):
2005 DR-Z400SM
2005 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinja650 View Post
Just personally, don't even wast your money on a cyclegear BILT suit or jacket. Go with a brand name.

I went with 2 alpinestars leather jackets (1 perf, 1 non perf), Sidi boots, Alpinestars gloves, SHOEI helmet and a 1 pc for about 2-2500k. Best investment I could have made.

I have seen that bilt disengrate, zippers burst loose etc- while not even being in an accident.
Out of curiosity, how well does the A* perf leather do in the heat around here? I'm looking to replace my T-GP-R Air sometime next year.
Marxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #40
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
In case that isn't good enough for you, here's a Shoei Qwest for $260:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ge_helmet.html
That Shoei is available in sizes XL through XXL. I don't think I would advise anyone to go dirt cheap on gear and definitely not someone who hasn't bought a first bike yet. I had a HJC cl-16 like mentioned earlier in this thread and it was a real piece of (ymmv). We are coming up on winter, the jacket you linked is perforated. In Houston you will have a hard time making a summer jacket work in Dec-Feb. You didn't include pants. I don't care how many long johns you layer on, a cold winter morning will freeze you without decent motorcycle pants.

You are also more experienced with buying gear. A newb knows nothing about gear which always costs you more.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement