MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #21
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Welcome.

You want to talk cruisers? I'm your man. OK. Well I haven't owned that many, but I know a fair amount about buying starter bikes. Here's my recommendations.

Go used
For a starter bike, I would go with a used bike so you won't lose a ton of money on resale value in a year or so. Also, if you're practicing, or getting your skills back after a long time off, chances are good that you may drop the bike. If you have a used bike you won't care near as much as if you dropped a new one. On a related note I would suggest engine guards. Can save you a ton of trouble and $$.

Once you have your license, it's easier to test drive used bikes. You generally can not test ride new bikes unless you want to rent a Harley.

Good starter bikes:
Honda Rebel 250. The classic starter. Not intimidating to anyone. There's a guy that commutes in the 290 HOV lane with one. It'll get you up to freeway speeds and sips gas at about 60 mpg I believe. Easy to find used ones.

Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It's a 6 speed bike based on the Ninja engine and will do highway speeds. It just won't get there very fast. But set on one and you'll find it has great balance and weight distribution. They are harder to find used.

Suzuki Intruder. I hear these things run like a tank... and kinda shake like one. I believe they're 1 cylinder.

Yamaha Virago 750. This was my first bike. It has a little bit longer rake on the forks than I like but it's tough. With the engine guards you will not damage the bike if you drop it. This one has some nice grunt in the low end right off the line, but that's the nature of the v-tsin engine.

Not-so-good starter bikes:
The Honda Shadow 600 (I think that's the model). The problem I have with this bike is that it's only a 4 speed bike. It was originally designed when the speed limit was 55. And that's what it's best at cruising. You're pushing it to get to freeway speeds of 70 to 80, so I hear.

VStar 650.
Not a bad bike by any means... Just a little underpowered. I know a guy who owned one as a second bike. It didn't take long for him to sell it. He was sorely disappointed.

Starter bike and possible keeper:

Magna VF750. This is the bike I currently have. It is no slouch. The reason why I suggest this bike is that it could be your first and last cruiser for a while. The Magna's power comes in the higher rpms (from 5 to 10K). So as a beginner if you ride in the lower rpms you will find this bike very tame. In fact it will be tamer than the V-twins in the low rpms.

When you're ready to move up, you can ride in the higher rpms. You'll find the bike really comes alive then and it will easily outrun all the bikes I listed above... not to mention 1300 and 1500cc cruisers.

The engine is bullet-proof reliable. I have heard of little going wrong on them. And I get about 43 mpg. You can pick these bikes up for about $3,000. If you need me to help you find one, just let me know.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Rider Looking for a Good "Beginner" Cruiser muckdawg11 Cruisers Lounge 24 09-02-2014 06:05 AM
Best supplement for a beginner? TXrider05 Health and Fitness 20 04-21-2011 02:44 PM
Beginner here rkl56119 Cruisers Lounge 44 06-08-2010 09:19 AM
Beginner Stunter Rebel_racing Stunters Lounge 14 08-05-2008 06:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #22
GrandeLatte
Technology Pimp

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
96 GL1500
03 F650CS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan

Suzuki Intruder. I hear these things run like a tank... and kinda shake like one. I believe they're 1 cylinder.
not ONE cylinder, it's v-twin, and don't shake like a tank.

come get my 95 intruder vs800. i will make you a motohouston deal.

GrandeLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #23
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeLatte
not ONE cylinder, it's v-twin, and don't shake like a tank.

come get my 95 intruder vs800. i will make you a motohouston deal.

Thanks for the clarification. What cruiser is it that's a 600 or 650cc one cylinder? It's either a Kawi or a Suzuki but I can't remember which.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #24
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. What cruiser is it that's a 600 or 650cc one cylinder? It's either a Kawi or a Suzuki but I can't remember which.
i believe the suzuki s40 is a single cylinder 650cc. belt driven. its also kind of smallish, but not as bad as the shadow 600. the s40 also has a classic kind of look. not a bad bike either.

if you had the $ though, id get one of the slightly bigger boulevards, or a shadow 750.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
...then on down the road get something like

vtx1300 or vtx1800
or
m109r
Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #26
stlal
Superman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
I would get something a little bigger. imo
Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #27
GrandeLatte
Technology Pimp

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
96 GL1500
03 F650CS

Member Garage

Quote:
chris24 has it right. the name of the single cylinder cruiser is "savage", but now called s40. there are three engine sizes for the intruders, 800cc, 1400cc, 1500cc now called s50, s83, and c90 (or is it lc1500? i can't remember).

my intruder vs800 aka s50 is really easy to ride. isoplus, i bet you can re-learn on it. and it is still for sale $$$$$. pm me. :icon_smil
GrandeLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #28
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

Thank you guys very much.

I've just signed up for this forum yesterday and already I feel a whole lot more prepared than I did two days ago.

I'm scheduled to take BRC tomorrow, after the course is completed then I'll be shopping for the cruiser.

I gotta say though, that I'm leaning towards 700+cc after your input.

Thanks agin, :notworthy
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #29
ImG

Send a message via AIM to ImG
might be a good deal if you can bargin the price down a lil.
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/338190081.html

yea i am biased towards kawasaki =p.
ImG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #30
silverceptor

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Honda VFR

I rented a v-star 650 in San Francisco to ride through the hills. I thought it was an 1100 and didn't realize it was a 650 until the end of the ride. It handled fine at freeway speeds.

I would still recommend the 1100 shadow or v-star. The shaft drive makes them maint. free. Also, an 1100 v-twin cruiser is less powerful than 600 in line four.
silverceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #31
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoplus

I'm scheduled to take BRC tomorrow, after the course is completed then I'll be shopping for the cruiser.
What the... today is only Friday!? :BangHead:

My class is on Sunday... the day after tomorrow...

Err... I guess I'm looking foward to it a lil' too much
Old 05-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #32
BikerBabe

Bike(s):
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBabe
My first bike after I took the class was a Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750. Keep in mind, prior to taking the class I had only been a passenger on a motorcycle, never having ridden solo. Also, I was 43 when I got my motorcycle license. When hubby bought his Custom Fatboy, I had the choice between keeping the 750 or taking his Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 and selling the 750. I chose the 1100 because on the highway, going 70 or better, I always felt like the 750 needed to shift up one more gear. I rode the 1100 for two plus years and loved the heck out of it.

I feel that if you buy anything smaller than a 750, you are going to be disappointed with your highway performance. Your in-town won't be affected. However, any trip you take, you will feel "bogged down" for want of a better description.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #33
IAHKAT

Bike(s):
M109R

Quote:
What the... today is only Friday!? :BangHead:

My class is on Sunday... the day after tomorrow...

Err... I guess I'm looking foward to it a lil' too much

How many days is your BRC class & which school are you taking this class at?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #34
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAHKAT
How many days is your BRC class & which school are you taking this class at?
It's Sunday~Monday class @ AwesomeCycles.
One of my friend refered me to it.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #35
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
You sound like you know what you want. 700+cc is good for a cruiser to start on. My first bike(also my current bike) is a 1200cc. It was pretty mild when i got it. it was nice getting familar with riding on this bike. I did a few upgrades to kick up the HP by 20. Now it sits at 73hp, and that is plenty for me. It keeps up with the 600cc sport bikes on the highways and in the city.

let us know when you get your bike and want to go on a ride. We can set one up.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #36
Hoguer
Hoguer

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda VTX 1300C
Honda VTX 1300C

My first bike was 600 vlx I liked the bike. Kept it just over a year it was small for me I am 6'4" but a good l learner for me. I moved to the VTX 1300. I think a boulavared is a good bike for you since you have experence. I agree to get your feet wet use the MSF bikes to do that and that will also help with your MC Lic.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #37
criticalerror

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL
Rat bike (work in progress) Iron Head Sportster

Quote:
It's Sunday~Monday class @ AwesomeCycles.
One of my friend refered me to it.
I took my class a few months ago at awesomecycles. Good group I suppose. I was bored as 99% of the time and it gets REAL REAL hot out there. You spend a lot of time sitting on the bike with it running on black pavement. You have to have full finger gloves, a helmet, long sleves, and ankle high boots. They will supply the gloves and helmet. I highly recommend wearing a very thin long sleve shirt because of how hot it gets. We spent the mornings in class and afternoon on the "course" (parking lot of that country bar over there). All the bikes are 250s and dont bother trying to pop a wheelie .. it doesnt work. Best part of the class was the quick stops. The lot was wet because it had been raining and slamming the brakes doing 25 mph on those tiny bikes was a blast. Only 1 person dropped their bike and he had never ridden before plus they put him on the 1 dirt bike they had. He missed a gear (you never leave second gear in the course), got scared, hit the gas and laid her down. No injuries.

As far as a starter bike. Get 750 at least man. 750 is a lot of power on a sport bike but on a cruiser it aint much. I rode a sportster for awhile and was sick of it after 50 miles. Thats just me ... i know many love sportsters but it was just to small for me. For a starter bike in your price range I would recommend a used sportster. Can't go wrong starting on a Harley!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #38
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):

Well, just finished BRC yesterday.

It was fun, I even got a 'gremlin bell (a lucky charm)' as a souvenir
It rained hard during the classes so it was cool and wet (better than hot and sweatin' wet, I guess).

I'm sure there are a whole lot more I need to learn (or get used to) before I can consider myself a 'rider'.

Anyways, after your inputs and few searches on internet I'm thinking about purchasing a used Honda Magna (2003) or Suzuki VL800 (2006).
I'll let you know once it is finalized. :notworthy
Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #39
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):

Err... ok,

It looks like I'll be getting '07 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2.
I was looking for 03 Magna, but those are hard to find in low mile and right color (black).
06 Intruder VL800 (low mile) was alomost high as brand new... (owner was asking $5,900).

Anyone tried Shadow Spirit?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #40
IAHKAT

Bike(s):
M109R

Congrats on passing the BRC!!! Who were your instructors?

Advertisement