Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Texas outplays Texas Tech for 34-13 win

Texas coach Charlie Strong was glad to see his Longhorns rebound with a win Saturday after last week's shutout loss.

"This is a great team victory," he said. "We had some drops there early and couldn't really put the game away, but it's great to just see us bounce back."

Malcolm Brown scored two rushing touchdowns, Johnathan Gray ran for another and Tyrone Swoopes threw for a score to lead Texas over Texas Tech 34-13.

Brown scored touchdowns of 3 yards and 1 yard, and Gray ran it in from 17 yard for the Longhorns (4-5, 3-3 Big 12), who got their sixth straight win over the Red Raiders.

Swoopes completed 13 of 25 passes for 228 yards, hitting Jaxon Shipley for a 4-yard score.

It was the first 100-yard rushing game for the Longhorns this season.

John Harris finished with a career-high 165 yards receiving. It was his third game this season with 100-plus yards receiving.

"Once you make a big catch, you just can't relax," Harris said of a 68-yarder he caught late in the first half. "You've got to keep playing. Anytime I get a big catch or even if I start with a small catch or a long catch, I'm just going to keep playing, just keep waiting for that moment."

The loss assured Texas Tech (3-6, 1-5) a fifth straight losing Big 12 record with three conference games remaining.

Texas Tech backup quarterback Pat Mahomes left the game after getting leveled by Quandre Diggs. True freshman walk-on Vincent Testaverde Jr., son of Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde, finished the game.

Brown moved him into 12th place in school history for career yards rushing.

The win keeps both teams in contention for a bowl but the road is more difficult now for the Red Raiders, who need to win out against Oklahoma in two weeks, Iowa State and Baylor. Texas plays West Virginia, Oklahoma State and TCU.

"We talked about there's four games left; we're one down," Strong said of his talk with the team before the game. "We have three more to go. We've got West Virginia at home. It's great to get this win."

De'Andre Washington finished with 97 yards on 16 carries for Texas Tech, which scored just one offensive touchdown.

Testaverde came in after Mahomes got hit by Diggs and fumbled. Mahomes got up wobbly and was taken to the locker room, apparently for concussion testing.

"Obviously when you get to your third string quarterback (your offense is) going to get taken down a little bit, but I thought for the most part he handled himself well," Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury said of Testaverde.

Asked if he felt badly for the hit on Mahomes, Diggs said, "Nah, he signed up to play football. Sometimes that happens. It was just a good hit. Came in, saw him running and I just did what I was supposed to do. Did something to get my team wired up."

Strong said he thought the hit was a turning in the game.

"Quandre, with that lick, I think it got us going because, you know, to see him make that hit, it was really a good, clean hit and he did kind of get everyone going."

Mahomes started his first game in place of Davis Webb, who reinjured his left ankle in last week's loss to TCU.

Testaverde led the Red Raiders on a 75-yard drive, capped by a 6-yard touchdown by Kenny Williams. It was Williams' first rushing touchdown of the season; he was the Red Raiders leading rusher in 2013 and 2012 but switched to linebacker to start this year.

Defensive end Branden Jackson scored a touchdown for Texas Tech in the first quarter after Swoopes fumbled deep in Longhorn territory. It was the first fumble recovery for a touchdown for the Red Raiders since Will Smith in a win over Texas State last season.

Texas Tech is now 1-12 in November games dating back to 2011.

tech horns jpg

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote