MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #81
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenetiK View Post
got some footage yesterday and some honkers was pretty funny a few people honked in a row!

Lane splitting in Houston on my zx6r - First Moto Vlog! - YouTube
haha 3 honker combo. I think ive had one of those. Nice vid.

Now watch out for the overzealous biker who send your video to the cops and tries to bust you for this.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
Why are some cagers so off by lane splitting in stopped traffic? TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 155 11-01-2013 10:20 PM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #82
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Yeah, splitting cars at 60 = making bikers look bad.
ride your own ride
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #83
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
yeah, some of that is a little fast for splitting in my book....if traffic is moving at 25+ you should just fall in line IMO. Even though you think 45 vs 30 is relative, the speeds are much greater than 15 vs. stopped or crawling. Best of luck!
looks legit to me.

i will soon be in your backyard...
Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #84
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

That fine, but we all get the repercussions for him riding like an . And it doesn't help get splitting a positive image.

But yeah keep on keepin on
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #85
phrenetiK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 ZX10R

Thanks for the feedback to both Racer X and Tmax.

I didn't even realize sometimes I will split through 2 cars at 50+ until watching back the footage. With that said I don't feel like I did anything crazy at the time and it felt fine to me. I'll try to pay more attention to my actual speedo cause to be honest unless I see a cop I'm usually just going off feel.
phrenetiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #86
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
That fine, but we all get the repercussions for him riding like an . And it doesn't help get splitting a positive image.

But yeah keep on keepin on
it happens like that in all parts of life.

Black people, White people, Filipinos, Muslims, Christians, and even Lifted Truck guys.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #87
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
it happens like that in all parts of life.

Black people, White people, Filipinos, Muslims, Christians, and even Lifted Truck guys.
So by all means encourage him by telling him "ride your own ride". That's the most toxic phrase used in this forum. It's such a cop-out. Typical "ride your own ride" comversation:

"Driving 80mph through a 35mph blind turn, while crossing the center line no less, is really dangerous for you and also for innocent people"
"hey ride your own ride bro"

No, "riding your own ride". Ride responsibly. If you're not putting other people at risk, do all the dumb you want, but using the phrase "ride your own ride" to encourage risky behavior on public roadways is toxic.
Liked this post:
Old 10-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #88
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Ok here's a twist for those who say they will never lane share. This happens to me ALL the time when riding in the sticks and I take it as a most courteous and appreciated gesture.

Double lane roadway with no passing zone. The semi, farm vehicle, truck with trailer, car, etc. traveling ahead of you at speed limit or slightly under pulls as far over to the right as they can encouraging you to pass them but not slowing down or stopping. Sometimes they have a nice wide shoulder, sometimes narrow, sometimes gravel. So if you pass them you are either lane sharing or crossing the center line in a no passing zone. Illegal? technically yes. Does everybody do it and think nothing of it? majority yes even those who don't admit they lane split. If you don't pass them you're even in a worse situation as before as them riding the shoulder is spewing up road hazards all over you.

Also similar road and the vehicle ahead of you is stopped waiting to turn left. Do you pass them on the right to get around? You can either be sharing the single lane when doing this or driving on the PAVED shoulder. I do whenever possible with car or bike and it is is 100% legal and even specifically addressed in the DPS driving manual. Technically this is also lane sharing though.

So my point is many lane share without admitting it or even realizing it. Both of the above situations are accepted, considered normal driving by the majority and are safe to do. Now we just need to get other types of lane sharing considered normal so people will not feel you're breaking the law, jumping ahead of them and will be looking out for these possible actions by bikes. Lane splitting/sharing is much safer when all traffic has their eyes open for it proactively.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #89
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Ok here's a twist for those who say they will never lane share. This happens to me ALL the time when riding in the sticks and I take it as a most courteous and appreciated gesture.

Double lane roadway with no passing zone. The semi, farm vehicle, truck with trailer, car, etc. traveling ahead of you at speed limit or slightly under pulls as far over to the right as they can encouraging you to pass them but not slowing down or stopping. Sometimes they have a nice wide shoulder, sometimes narrow, sometimes gravel. So if you pass them you are either lane sharing or crossing the center line in a no passing zone. Illegal? technically yes. Does everybody do it and think nothing of it? majority yes even those who don't admit they lane split. If you don't pass them you're even in a worse situation as before as them riding the shoulder is spewing up road hazards all over you.

Also similar road and the vehicle ahead of you is stopped waiting to turn left. Do you pass them on the right to get around? You can either be sharing the single lane when doing this or driving on the PAVED shoulder. I do whenever possible with car or bike and it is is 100% legal and even specifically addressed in the DPS driving manual. Technically this is also lane sharing though.

So my point is many lane share without admitting it or even realizing it. Both of the above situations are accepted, considered normal driving by the majority and are safe to do. Now we just need to get other types of lane sharing considered normal so people will not feel you're breaking the law, jumping ahead of them and will be looking out for these possible actions by bikes. Lane splitting/sharing is much safer when all traffic has their eyes open for it proactively.

_
That is nothing like splitting lanes.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #90
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
That is nothing like splitting lanes.
What is your thinking?? Both examples are EXACTLY splitting/sharing lanes.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #91
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
So by all means encourage him by telling him "ride your own ride". That's the most toxic phrase used in this forum. It's such a cop-out. Typical "ride your own ride" comversation:

"Driving 80mph through a 35mph blind turn, while crossing the center line no less, is really dangerous for you and also for innocent people"

No, "riding your own ride". Ride responsibly. If you're not putting other people at risk, do all the dumb you want, but using the phrase "ride your own ride" to encourage risky behavior on public roadways is toxic.
I think splitting lanes is much safer than going 80 in a 35 center line or not. Haha
Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #92
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post

Btw according to your join date and months riding, thatvwould be less than a year?

So please practice more riding on your ninjette
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #93
Lunchbox6

?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55827372.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	82117  
Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #94
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
What is your thinking?? Both examples are EXACTLY splitting/sharing lanes.
Seriously? If it isn't immediately obviously to you, I doubt a 3-page essay is gonna make it click.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #95
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

I could write the three page essay if needed.

Just sayin'
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #96
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

I think the part of your ride at the 45/610 interchange was a good example of responsible lane sharing/splitting. Other times during your ride where you split at 50-60-70 was a bad example and why people get irked when bikes filter between them. If traffic is moving 30-40 mph why split ... leave earlier. If traffic is stop and go logical time to split to avoid a rear end collision by someone.

Stay safe ... good video of things to do and not do IMO. I think it would be great to start a following of videos showing responsible lane splitting to show it works may influence the law makers. Laws usually do not change unless they idiots in the offices are show it works ... even if that means bending the laws a little. Just would have to keep the videos free of over the limit and things that would be negatively impact the cause.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #97
walter_moreno

Bike(s):
08 yamaha r1
92 yamaha yzf 600
07 yamaha r6
06 suzuki gsxr 600
03 yamaha raptor 660

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f View Post
you should keep a small bat or pipe an tap they're car as they try and swerve at you
Or a pocket full of broken spark plug shells. The price of a front windshield would teach ignorance a lesson. Don't like it get a motorcycle so u won't be stuck in Houston traffic don't hate cause someone got smarter in commuting to work. Me personally takes acts like those like you trying to kill me, I don't just shrug that off, your in for some crazy if you pull that on me. but do always remember they have a moving bulldozer so be prepared for whatever decisions you take because the aftermath can get pretty exciting.
walter_moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #98
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_moreno View Post
Or a pocket full of broken spark plug shells. The price of a front windshield would teach ignorance a lesson. Don't like it get a motorcycle so u won't be stuck in Houston traffic don't hate cause someone got smarter in commuting to work. Me personally takes acts like those like you trying to kill me, I don't just shrug that off, your in for some crazy if you pull that on me. but do always remember they have a moving bulldozer so be prepared for whatever decisions you take because the aftermath can get pretty exciting.
This is an ignorant comment. I drive a diesel with a full trailer almost everyday for work. Not because I don't want to be on a bike, but because my welder does not fit anywhere. My leads are a bit too much for a backpack... Everyone has a different situation. I think the lane splitting makes complete since for red lights and very low speeds. I can't guarantee you anything when some on these gusts of wind we get hits the side of my truck and I suddenly hug the line for a brief moment. Not to mention these semis. You bust my windshield up for it, the ride most definitely would get exciting.
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #99
acjei
aka A.C. Jizzle

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati 848 Evo
04 R6-sold
01 Zx6r-sold

I split all the time. I'm real careful about it though.

Couple years ago, I was going to work on 288 on my R6 and was riding in the shoulder (traffic was bumper to bumper) and a Expedition pulled to the left in attempt to cut me off. Luckily there was more than enough space for me to still go around them. There really are some crazy drivers out there.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #100
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold