MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #61
Truckin_Thumper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I don't agree. I genuinely feel like most of the times that I have someone drive way too closely behind me, they just want to get up the road as fast as possible. They're not trying to bully me into moving, they just have no concept of how much room you need to leave between cars. And splitters that blow by me at a dead stop also have no concept of this. Splitters that take their time and "excuse me, pardon me" by are totally fine, as I eluded to in my original message. A more appropriate analogy is a guy who runs through a crowded area as fast as he can yelling "excuse me, pardon me", barely missing people as he goes. Imagine how many bad looks he gets. But now imagine him taking his time to maneuver through people in a more acceptable, controlled manner. Nobody would bat an eyelash.
If you dont believe that a tailgater is bullying you, watch and see how they back off your when cop is present.

People know exactly WTF they are doing (well,90% of them anyways). They tailgate you because you are the in the way, no matter what your speed or lane.

I have over 3 million ground vehicle miles under my belt. That is a LOT of seat time. You get to know how traffic is. Trust me, they know what is going on.....its just a matter of IF they give a at that moment.

I watch morons go from teh get on ramp STRAIGHT to the middle or left lane without even giving a who is coming up behind them...why? They HAVE to have that "safe" middle lane. NEVER have I seen them cut off a cop to do that.

I could go on for HOURS on how bad or careless operators are.

Most of the time I dont give a how someone drives except when what they do looks or appears to be deliberate, and without regards to others.

You can split effortlessly IF you give the idiot in front of you a heads up and make your intentions clear. Yes, these morons in Houston will GTFO of your way. DFW is a different story though
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
Why are some cagers so off by lane splitting in stopped traffic? TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 155 11-01-2013 10:20 PM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #62
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
If you dont believe that a tailgater is bullying you, watch and see how they back off your when cop is present.

People know exactly WTF they are doing (well,90% of them anyways). They tailgate you because you are the in the way, no matter what your speed or lane.

I have over 3 million ground vehicle miles under my belt. That is a LOT of seat time. You get to know how traffic is. Trust me, they know what is going on.....its just a matter of IF they give a at that moment.

I watch morons go from teh get on ramp STRAIGHT to the middle or left lane without even giving a who is coming up behind them...why? They HAVE to have that "safe" middle lane. NEVER have I seen them cut off a cop to do that.

I could go on for HOURS on how bad or careless operators are.

Most of the time I dont give a how someone drives except when what they do looks or appears to be deliberate, and without regards to others.

You can split effortlessly IF you give the idiot in front of you a heads up and make your intentions clear. Yes, these morons in Houston will GTFO of your way. DFW is a different story though
My original post was that I have a problem with people splitting too quickly with such little clearance. I have no issue with people splitting at a reasonable speed. When a guy passes you with just inches to spare going 30mph faster than you on the freeway, do you feel like that guy may have been a for getting so close to you while going so fast? I bet you do.

Also by your logic, splitters are bullying me because I can watch them stop splitting as soon as they see a cop.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #63
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
More details?
Sorry no pictures to be posted.

Well there is room on the shoulder and either it was a quick stop or mechanical problems and the car just got over REALLY quick right when the bike was side by side. him up pretty good but her was alive.

I don't see how anyone would feel more safe riding the shoulder Vs splitting. Horrible idea in my opinion. Too easy for cars to dart over since there is nothing in the shoulder. Then trash and debri is on your tires. We don't all have lights and sirens on a huge Hayley like moto cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
One of the concerns mentioned here is cars jumping lanes quickly in slow traffic... This is exactly the reason I only split when both lanes (mine and the one immediately next to me) are stopped. If neither is moving, there's no where for anyone to try and jump. As soon as traffic starts moving again, I fall in behind a car in one lane or another.
exactly.......... unless you are on the distinguished gentlemans ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
these guys get it...responsible splitting. except I continue to split until the cars start moving at 10-15 mph.
I think most of us do I could not imagine doing anything like that at enough speed to rip limbs from your body. That picture really made me think the last two days. I would still split but just go at it cautiously like I do.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.

Last edited by green600; 10-30-2014 at 01:41 PM.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #64
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
My original post was that I have a problem with people splitting too quickly with such little clearance. I have no issue with people splitting at a reasonable speed. When a guy passes you with just inches to spare going 30mph faster than you on the freeway, do you feel like that guy may have been a for getting so close to you while going so fast? I bet you do.

Also by your logic, splitters are bullying me because I can watch them stop splitting as soon as they see a cop.
I NEVER stop "responsibly" splitting for a cop sitting in traffic (I typically do give a honk). I don't slow from 80 to 70 either when a DPS enters the freeway from some side FM road. I'm rebellious like that.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #65
Coolhandsluke

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr 600
01 XR50 mini tard
01 XR650R SM
01 KDX 200

Quote:
I NEVER stop "responsibly" splitting for a cop sitting in traffic (I typically do give a honk). I don't slow from 80 to 70 either when a DPS enters the freeway from some side FM road. I'm rebellious like that.
How many leos have you passed splitting? I always duck in behind a car once I spot them even if traffic is completely stopped & I'm filtering slowly.

I have passed several in the HOV lane and never had them flash their lights or anything but read on here someone had 5-0 waiting for them when they exited the HOV cause an off duty officer called it in when he was passed.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #66
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I have passed a good dozen leos splitting/riding hte sholder of the HOV

No were given. Look through the links I posted. I posted the photos.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #67
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
exactly.......... unless you are on the distinguished gentlemans ride.
Please elaborate, because I honestly have no idea to what you are referring.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #68
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhandsluke View Post
How many leos have you passed splitting? I always duck in behind a car once I spot them even if traffic is completely stopped & I'm filtering slowly.

I have passed several in the HOV lane and never had them flash their lights or anything but read on here someone had 5-0 waiting for them when they exited the HOV cause an off duty officer called it in when he was passed.
My eyes aren't scanning for cops, I'm looking for door openers and pricks....and most of the time, by the time I notice a cop I've already passed by. Then again, my plates are visible and I don't go "flying" through stopped or slow moving traffic either. I've come to accept that it is "illegal" and I'm ready to stop and I'll pay the price if one happens to decide to pursue me.
Liked this post:
Old 10-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #69
Coolhandsluke

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr 600
01 XR50 mini tard
01 XR650R SM
01 KDX 200

Quote:
My eyes aren't scanning for cops, I'm looking for door openers and pricks....and most of the time, by the time I notice a cop I've already passed by. Then again, my plates are visible and I don't go "flying" through stopped or slow moving traffic either. I've come to accept that it is "illegal" and I'm ready to stop and I'll pay the price if one happens to decide to pursue me.
Gotcha, thanks for replying.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #70
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Are you on a stretched Yamaha R6 (Green) going home down Westpark Rd around 7:00 pm ? if so i see you all the time
Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #71
green600
HG Chairperson

I have passed plenty of cops and only been puller over once and he worked REALLY hard to catch me going 10mph max. He had to get passed numerous cars to stop me. He had a story to tell me about a friend who's head was torn off by a 18 wheeler mirror. I was wanting to ask him was your friend traveling at the same speed that I was? But I didn't and kept my mouth shut. Let go without a ticket but he was Metro so not sure if he can even write a ticket.

Liked this post:
Old 10-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #72
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhandsluke View Post
I used to split on the HOV, but stopped when they changed the HOT lane times. No need for it now. Only had one blip me, and it was an unmarked, blacked-out Tahoe with illegal tint. No idea what agency it was, and completely unmarked, I'm not stopping anyway. ...it might have just been a woo-woo, citizens on patrol wanna be. Had one of those follow me for about two miles a few years back because he thought I was racing on a bone stock Honda cruiser.

Quote:
But I didn't and kept my mouth shut. Let go without a ticket but he was Metro so not sure if he can even write a ticket.
Metro has jurisdiction anywhere the buses run. They can write tickets in Conroe.

Last edited by pinball; 10-30-2014 at 08:48 PM.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #73
ProvorseD
2Wheel Junkie

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 Duke 690

I try to avoid rush hour traffic but its the only time I feel the need to lane split and I do when I'm feeling like it. I know some people get pissy about it but I haven't had anybody mess with me.

I only lane split at real low speeds. Usually I roll through cars at stoplights to get to the front. I don't do it unless its a red light and people are nearly stopped or completely stopped or its a mile long line up of cars at a light.

I had a close call a few years back... sort of. I was creeping through a line of stopped cars. Some girl sitting in the passenger seat opened her door for something not even checking the mirror. I saw her and as I was starting to slow down she saw me and freaked out. She shut that door as fast as she could. I kept rolling through as it was safe.

Its dangerous out there and we don't have eyes everywhere. Be careful.

I'd like to see a compilation video too.
ProvorseD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #74
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post

Metro has jurisdiction anywhere the buses run. They can write tickets in Conroe.
I know, I have received a ticket from one I just like pressing their buttons they seem to have more to prove then any other officer I have dealt with in Houston.

Liked this post:
Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #75
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

Quote:
I know, I have received a ticket from one I just like pressing their buttons they seem to have more to prove then any other officer I have dealt with in Houston.
Because they couldn't get in the Academy, and no one was hiring Taxi drivers.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #76
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

"Share the road" campaign should be emphasized
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #77
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TardinLA View Post
Because they couldn't get in the Academy, and no one was hiring Taxi drivers.
I know a metro police officer. You are right, he could not get into the academy. When he was a kid, he got caught stealing candy from a convenience store and because of that, he was not admitted. His sole desire is to "protect and serve". He may actually be the nicest, most benevolent person I've ever met, and he is extremely passionate about serving the public, specifically in a law enforcement capacity. So he went with the best option presented to him, which was metro police.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #78
phrenetiK

Bike(s):
2012 ZX10R

got some footage yesterday and some honkers was pretty funny a few people honked in a row!

phrenetiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #79
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Yeah, splitting cars at 60 = making bikers look bad.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #80
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

yeah, some of that is a little fast for splitting in my book....if traffic is moving at 25+ you should just fall in line IMO. Even though you think 45 vs 30 is relative, the speeds are much greater than 15 vs. stopped or crawling. Why not do it at 80 when traffic is moving at 65??? Best of luck!

Last edited by dbuck; 10-31-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Advertisement