MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #41
Truckin_Thumper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
It seemed unsafe to me to be passed with a 40mph speed difference between the motorcycle and my car. It has nothing to do with the "hey, that guy is cutting in line!" mentality and everything to do with the fact that a motorcycle just zipped by with inches of clearance between us. It's the same reason I get offended when people are 6 inches off my bumper on the freeway.
Maybe I can help.

Being tailgated is a "move, !" situation. Guy behind you is bascally bullying you, borderline vehicular assault.
Guy riding a few inches to your side is nowhere near that mentality. IT is more like a "pardon me, 'scuse me, pardon me, coming through".

Would you agree?
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
Why are some cagers so off by lane splitting in stopped traffic? TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 155 11-01-2013 10:20 PM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #42
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
he can't find proof because it there is no law against it
SHUT IT! dont make me ban.....oh, wait, wrong site
Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #43
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

really they finally gave you the button? And you can reach it by yourself or do you need a stool?

Will you ban pilot if I pay you?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #44
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

How many riders would be willing to trade a helmet law for a splitting law? Fat guys on HD's that can't split would be against it and commuters would be all over it. Then we could settle it Braveheart style at Discovery Green.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #45
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
Proof?
Quote:
he can't find proof because it there is no law against it
19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

##An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic: ##shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
##may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #46
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Don't traffic regulations define safe limits of operation? Infringing upon regulations is, by its very nature, operating unsafely. I think your post negates a lot of your comments in this thread.
Technically, you are right. It is why I brought up the example of getting a 45 in 30 on Bellaire at 7:30am Saturday, when there was hardly any traffic across the 6-lane boulevard. Yes, I violated the law, but did my infringement carry the same degree of menace to the general public as if I did 45 in the same 30mph zone at 5:30pm on a weekday when Bellaire is jam packed full of commuter traffic?

If a cop wishes to throw the book at me... speeding is speeding. That's why he was there early Sat. morning ringing the cash register on unsuspecting idiots like me.

Lane splitting, by its very nature, can only be performed in heavy traffic. So... whenever you lane split over the same stretch of road, you are doing so under similar traffic conditions and taking very similar risk, and presenting very similar risk (or annoyance) factor to other motorists.

If I can somehow lane split in the wee hours in the morning with next to no traffic, I'll do it!

Last edited by Volfy; 10-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #47
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

I would more easily split lanes in Italy than Houston on two wheels. Just saying.

― Mark Twain
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #48
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
really they finally gave you the button? .......
faaaaaaack noooooooo, they aint stoopit!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #49
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

I do it at 5-10mph when traffic is gridlock and I'm alone. On a group ride I don't because I don't want to influence the group.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #50
gkcontra

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

Quote:
Maybe I can help.

Being tailgated is a "move, !" situation. Guy behind you is bascally bullying you, borderline vehicular assault.
Guy riding a few inches to your side is nowhere near that mentality. IT is more like a "pardon me, 'scuse me, pardon me, coming through".

Would you agree?
while I am ok with the 'pardon me, 'scuse me' intent, everyone makes mistakes and if someone is 6 inches off my door and makes one of these mistakes into my mirror, door, etc. I'll be mighty .

I usually only split in the HOV lane not on open highways but to each their own. What really sucks though is that as someone who doesn't split, I get passed by a couple splitters on 59 between Shepherd and the spur, then I have to start dodging cars because they expect me to split so they start crowding a bit.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #51
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Maybe I can help.

Would you agree?
I don't agree. I genuinely feel like most of the times that I have someone drive way too closely behind me, they just want to get up the road as fast as possible. They're not trying to bully me into moving, they just have no concept of how much room you need to leave between cars. And splitters that blow by me at a dead stop also have no concept of this. Splitters that take their time and "excuse me, pardon me" by are totally fine, as I eluded to in my original message. A more appropriate analogy is a guy who runs through a crowded area as fast as he can yelling "excuse me, pardon me", barely missing people as he goes. Imagine how many bad looks he gets. But now imagine him taking his time to maneuver through people in a more acceptable, controlled manner. Nobody would bat an eyelash.
Liked this post:
Old 10-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #52
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

I don't do it. You see too many drivers jumping lanes in slow traffic. Don't want to make it on Youtube.

No law specifically stating lane-splitting is illegal but they can get you on other offenses.

From the DPS website:

"19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."
An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely."

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbfaqs.htm
Slash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #53
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
Lane splitting is a suicide mission in houston. I have lights a siren and the power of then pen and would rather ride the shoulders anyday than split a lane.
I've seen a bike get destroyed doing this by a car that pulled over onto the shoulder quickly.

I prefer the comfort between two cars that cannot just hope over to the next lane. I only do this at basically a standstill and just a enough speed to hopefully be ok if something goes wrong.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #54
slim_grizzy

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2015 Ducati Scrambler UE
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (sold)

Put me down on the splitting on HOV (not technically splitting since there's only one lane) but not mainlanes group. There are too many variables to prepare for with multiple lanes of traffic and people switching lanes. On the HOV, everyone is expecting to stay in a line and isn't looking to make quick moves to get ahead. I can focus on just one car at a time as I pass.

Regarding speed, I only bother doing it when they're backed up and I can get by quickly going less than 30-40mph. If they're going 20+ I don't bother. I always want to be able to pass the car as quickly as possible so some nutjob doesn't have time to swerve and hit me. I also use the right side for this because most people don't check their passenger mirror often so I'm past them before they even notice I was there. On the mainlanes, I stay on the left/center-left for the opposite reason because I do want to be seen.
slim_grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #55
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
I've seen a bike get destroyed doing this by a car that pulled over onto the shoulder quickly.
More details?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #56
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
I would more easily split lanes in Italy than Houston on two wheels. Just saying.
Of course because it is the norm there. When in Rome, do as.... I recently rode in downtown Saigon and splitting would not even begin to describe it. More like a chaotic free for all cluster of driving with the only unwritten rule being the heavier and bigger vehicle got the right of way most of the time by shear intimidation.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #57
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

One of the concerns mentioned here is cars jumping lanes quickly in slow traffic... This is exactly the reason I only split when both lanes (mine and the one immediately next to me) are stopped. If neither is moving, there's no where for anyone to try and jump. As soon as traffic starts moving again, I fall in behind a car in one lane or another.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #58
TheFantasticG

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
One of the concerns mentioned here is cars jumping lanes quickly in slow traffic....
Yup. That's why I don't do it. I see it when I have to work at the office off of 59S and dairyashford. On my way home in the afternoon I see cars jumping like frogs on crack between lanes... so, when I do ride to the office, I don't split on the way home.
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #59
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Of course because it is the norm there. When in Rome, do as.... I recently rode in downtown Saigon and splitting would not even begin to describe it. More like a chaotic free for all cluster of driving with the only unwritten rule being the heavier and bigger vehicle got the right of way most of the time by shear intimidation.

_
Perfectly describes the traffic in Hyderabad and Manila as well. Crazy crazy. They don't "lane split" because nobody ever stays in a lane.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #60
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post

I prefer the comfort between two cars that cannot just hope over to the next lane. I only do this at basically a standstill and just a enough speed to hopefully be ok if something goes wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
One of the concerns mentioned here is cars jumping lanes quickly in slow traffic... This is exactly the reason I only split when both lanes (mine and the one immediately next to me) are stopped. If neither is moving, there's no where for anyone to try and jump. As soon as traffic starts moving again, I fall in behind a car in one lane or another.
these guys get it...responsible splitting. except I continue to split until the cars start moving at 10-15 mph.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement