MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

We need to do somwthing traffic is getting unreal and it's just a matter of time before the massive ticket comes.

Jae- maybe the guy was paying the toll.to use the hov and thats why he was so ?
Either way it's just stupid. Even when I didn't ride, my reaction was never anger. It was always 'man I need to get a motorcycle'...abd so I eventually did when it got worse and worse.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
Why are some cagers so off by lane splitting in stopped traffic? TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 155 11-01-2013 10:20 PM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #22
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
We need to do somwthing traffic is getting unreal and it's just a matter of time before the massive ticket comes.

Either way it's just stupid. Even when I didn't ride, my reaction was never anger. It was always 'man I need to get a motorcycle'...abd so I eventually did when it got worse and worse.
Nope, before the HOV is divided into an isolated, raised lane there is NO option to use it as a paid "hot lane" (or whatever they're calling it) on 59, and between about 6:30am and 8am (or so, not sure when it re-opens) the isolated HOV is closed to toll riders. This is also causing a problem with traffic in the HOV on South 59 inbound, as everyone like to jump over the double white line into the HOV while traffic is moving, and then has to get out again as they realize it's closed to toll vehicles when they get to the divided lane entrance.

A few times a week, starting around 7:15 or so, they seem to have Metro motorcycle cops actually pulling people over around the transit center ramps for violations, but unfortunately this just makes HOV traffic slow to a crawl as they check each vehicle going past.

Last edited by Jae; 10-29-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Lane splitting is a suicide mission in houston. I have lights a siren and the power of then pen and would rather ride the shoulders anyday than split a lane.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
KuroRazgriz
Suzuki4Life

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki SV650S SEGA Edition GP Shift :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post

My thoughts exactly too.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #25
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycle-lan...esearch/34425/
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #26
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post

A few times a week, starting around 7:15 or so, they seem to have Metro motorcycle cops actually pulling people over around the transit center ramps for violations, but unfortunately this just makes HOV traffic slow to a crawl as they check each vehicle going past.
I see them often too over at the hillcroft transit center off ramp.

Galleria area is always a crapshoot when I spilt there.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
Coolhandsluke

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr 600
01 XR50 mini tard
01 XR650R SM
01 KDX 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
Lane splitting is a suicide mission in houston. I have lights a siren and the power of then pen and would rather ride the shoulders anyday than split a lane.
When I first started riding street I thought lane splitting was riding the shoulder , had only seen people ride shoulder when I was caging and never had a rider pass me splitting.

Wasn't till I saw a post on MH about people riding shoulders that I realized lane splitting was between the cars , been splitting the proper way ever since lol.

Last week in 45 gridlock was actually the first time I've had a rider pass me splitting.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #28
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
I'd say the same thing if I was on a police cruiser outfitted with bags and stuff. I do it everytime I commute to work without incident. I'm also not doing it at 60+ mph....only when it is approriate. In fact, I actually think lane splitters cause cagers to get their noses out of their phones (half of them are not texting, just reading facebook or MH or whatever) and pay attention after they get buzzed by and had no clue a biker was even in the vicinity. It's safer than sitting and waiting for one of those idiots to rear end you.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #29
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

I used to become irritated when passed by a splitter. I'd give 'em the bird while they passed but never tried to stop one with my car or door. Now I realize my only real issue with them was the fact that we'd be at a dead stop and they'd zip by going 40+ easy, which is far too fast. If I had been passed by guys going 10-20mph, I would not have been so offended. I think the main problem is that the public opinion is formed by these speed-racer idiots.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #30
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
One time at band camp, me and a motocop were stuck in front of a dead stopped train on 529. I looked over and said "there has to be a way"

He said "follow me"

He turned on his lights "reverse split traffic" got to the right lane, split that traffic, right on jones, split that and said goodbye at 290.

Probably my most memorable group ride!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #31
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
One time at band camp, me and a motocop were stuck in front of a dead stopped train on 529. I looked over and said "there has to be a way"

He said "follow me"

He turned on his lights "reverse split traffic" got to the right lane, split that traffic, right on jones, split that and said goodbye at 290.

Probably my most memorable group ride!
Cool story. Too bad we don't get to lanesplit behind a motocop every day.

If I ever live in Calif again, sure, I'll get with the program and do what the locals do.

Here... it's illegal, period. And no, I'm no saint behind the wheel or on a bike. And yes, I do occasionally infringe upon traffic regulations... when it is safe to do so. Very seldom around these parts do I get the feeling that it is safe to lane split.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post

If I ever live in Calif again, sure, I'll get with the program and do what the locals do.

Here... it's illegal, period. And no, I'm no saint behind the wheel or on a bike. And yes, I do occasionally infringe upon traffic regulations... when it is safe to do so. Very seldom around these parts do I get the feeling that it is safe to lane split.
Don't traffic regulations define safe limits of operation? Infringing upon regulations is, by its very nature, operating unsafely. I think your post negates a lot of your comments in this thread.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #33
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Don't traffic regulations define safe limits of operation? Infringing upon regulations is, by its very nature, operating unsafely. I think your post negates a lot of your comments in this thread.
I'd say traffic regulations define what are thought to be safe limits for the lowest common denominator. That means they're in place for the dumbest people, the most poorly performing vehicles, or combination of both. If it's safe for an old man with poor vision and reaction time to drive an old car with drum brakes to go 20mph on a residential road, why is it not safe for me to go 21mph with my youth, good vision, and performance car?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #34
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I'd say traffic regulations define what are thought to be safe limits for the lowest common denominator. That means they're in place for the dumbest people, the most poorly performing vehicles, or combination of both. If it's safe for an old man with poor vision and reaction time to drive an old car with drum brakes to go 20mph on a residential road, why is it not safe for me to go 21mph with my youth, good vision, and performance car?
Without a doubt, but that argument doesn't hold up very well in court.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #35
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
...I do occasionally infringe upon traffic regulations... when it is safe to do so...
Quote:
Don't traffic regulations define safe limits of operation?...
Quote:
I'd say traffic regulations define what are thought to be safe limits for the lowest common denominator....
Quote:
Without a doubt, but that argument doesn't hold up very well in court.
It was acknowledged that we occasionally operate outside of the limits of traffic regulations, but it was also asserted that when done in a responsible way it can still be safe, with which you agreed. No one said it would hold up in court.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #36
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
It was acknowledged that we occasionally operate outside of the limits of traffic regulations, but it was also asserted that when done in a responsible way it can still be safe, with which you agreed. No one said it would hold up in court.
Quote:
Here... it's illegal, period.
This was the reason for my comment. To say you won't do one thing because it's illegal, then to say you perform other illegal activities when it's safe to do so is a tad hypocritical.
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #37
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
I used to become irritated when passed by a splitter. I'd give 'em the bird while they passed but never tried to stop one with my car or door. Now I realize my only real issue with them was the fact that we'd be at a dead stop and they'd zip by going 40+ easy, which is far too fast. If I had been passed by guys going 10-20mph, I would not have been so offended. I think the main problem is that the public opinion is formed by these speed-racer idiots.
Not to single you out, but this is the problem.

WHY would it offend you? I just dont understand. It is not like he/she cut in front of you at Walmart or the bank.

Could you help me understand your mentality?
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #38
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
Not to single you out, but this is the problem.

WHY would it offend you? I just dont understand. It is not like he/she cut in front of you at Walmart or the bank.

Could you help me understand your mentality?
It seemed unsafe to me to be passed with a 40mph speed difference between the motorcycle and my car. It has nothing to do with the "hey, that guy is cutting in line!" mentality and everything to do with the fact that a motorcycle just zipped by with inches of clearance between us. It's the same reason I get offended when people are 6 inches off my bumper on the freeway.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #39
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:

Proof?
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #40
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

he can't find proof because it there is no law against it
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote