MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #141
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Your assessment that the average human reaction time is an entire second shows how detached from reality this argument really is.
Apparently you never took drivers ED. it takes just under one second to acknowledge that you need to stop, then move your foot over and apply the brake.

Things get even more complicated when you throw a camera into the mix and you have to factor the possibility of getting a ticket in to whether or not it is safe to come to a sudden stop when you are making that decision to apply the brakes.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Light Cameras Returning NgaWhat Off Topic 182 10-24-2011 02:59 PM
RED LIGHT CAMERAS GONE! morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 89 11-04-2010 05:06 PM
Geesh.... Red Light Cameras tarosean General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 08-06-2008 11:25 PM
if you think red light cameras are bad... SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 11-29-2007 11:48 AM
caught on red light cameras bigjay77 Off Topic 18 05-23-2007 11:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #142
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,504

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Last time I checked, if you try to come to a stop while moving at 20+ mph with less than 10ft of space, you are probably going to end up stopped in the intersection.
As far as possible for me to DECIDE to stop? That's a tough one, because I think the human reaction time is around one second and the light was only yellow for about that long. A robot doesn't have such a slow reaction time, so it's easy to issue tickets that were such a close call that you have to review the slowed down video multiple times to see where you actually committed a offense.
Surely the courts agree with me, since it was on the news and there were thousands of other people who never had to pay at that exact intersection...but guess what? I never got a refund for being wrongly ticketed...but don't worry guy's it's all about safety, not profit!
Okay, just as I thought... you are slow.

Luckily, most other drivers can deal with traffic lights just fine. Even grannies can stop properly and avoid getting a ticket.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #143
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER
 
jetcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ShoreAcres
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 12,009

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
And who funded the study?

You missed me at lunch because I wasn't there, because I'm not into carrying over trivial internet dispute into real life. I was counting on you to be able to use the same good judgement, but no such luck.
The Federal Highway Administration sponsored the study, something you would've noticed had you actually spent the time to read the link and check the references. Do the feds profit from these red light cameras in Houston? Here's the link to the study. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications.../safety/05048/


I don't separate my time on the internet from "real life" as I'm not a troll and I don't play online as if it were some sort of imaginary fantasy land. In my world, actions have consequences and I consider those consequences prior to engaging in said actions. I'll take my permaban when it's handed out, and I'll sit in jail with a smile on my face if my actions lead me down that path, both are previously stated in this thread. I don't have an online alter ego. I'm exactly the same in person in the "real world" as I am on this forum. You've continued to spew insults, insinuations, and cursing as if those actions don't carry "real world" consequences. Sometimes I leave my "good judgment" and my bail money at home on the counter when I head out the door. . .it's almost always worth the trouble.
__________________
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #144
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
But where are your percentages and hard numbers?

My study says that you have to pay money in order to avoid getting rear ended.
I never got a ticket driving through an intersection with red-light cameras, never had an accident in one, never saw an accident in one. I'm a native Texan (which makes me superior) that pays attention when I'm behind the wheel and understands that yellow lights often follow a green. Sugar Land still has red-light cameras at intersections that I travel through and so my study is still 100% valid. You're welcome.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #145
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Okay, just as I thought... you are slow.

Luckily, most other drivers can deal with traffic lights just fine. Even grannies can stop properly and avoid getting a ticket.
Yeah okay and I'm the one pulling things out of my ?
If you can recognize the fact that you need to stop and actually hit the brakes in less than one second, you are WAY above average.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/niatt...actionTime.htm

I'd say I can do it in under a second, but even so, I was expecting the light to be yellow for three seconds, not less than one. So, I never attempted to stop.
Again, obviously the courts saw this when they let thousands of people off the hook.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #146
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I never got a ticket driving through an intersection with red-light cameras, never had an accident in one, never saw an accident in one.
So based on the data you collected, there are zero accidents at intersections and people aren't ever issued tickets, so no need to spend money on cameras.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #147
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post

Again, the camera has no DISCRETION
We've already covered that. There is more than one image for each violation. A trained human reviews those images before a ticket can be mailed. If you want to take it to court a judge also has discretion, so that's two other folks not in your car that can help you navigate through an intersection with a traffic light.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #148
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
The Federal Highway Administration sponsored the study, something you would've noticed had you actually spent the time to read the link and check the references. Do the feds profit from these red light cameras in Houston? Here's the link to the study. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications.../safety/05048/
.gov :gest ure:

You are right about one thing, you leave your judgement at the door
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #149
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
So based on the data you collected, there are zero accidents at intersections and people aren't ever issued tickets, so no need to spend money on cameras.
My study was only on intersections with cameras. People are getting hit at intersections with no cameras, so yeah, the cameras are needed. Do I need to color a picture for you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #150
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Yeah okay and I'm the one pulling things out of my ?
If you can recognize the fact that you need to stop and actually hit the brakes in less than one second, you are WAY above average.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/niatt...actionTime.htm

I'd say I can do it in under a second, but even so, I was expecting the light to be yellow for three seconds, not less than one. So, I never attempted to stop.
Again, obviously the courts saw this when they let thousands of people off the hook.
Then you saw a red light and ran it because you couldn't see a yellow if it was on for 1/100th of a second as you claimed (.01 remember?). Sounds like you earned that ticket. Congrats
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #151
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
We've already covered that. There is more than one image for each violation. A trained human reviews those images before a ticket can be mailed. If you want to take it to court a judge also has discretion, so that's two other folks not in your car that can help you navigate through an intersection with a traffic light.
I shouldn't have to make it to court just because they wrongfully are issuing thousands of tickets and are knowingly doing so. All the people who got together fought this for the same reason and won, so I'm gonna have to say you are wrong here.
I'd rather just pay the 75 dollars than to deal with yet another idiot(the judge) and miss a whole day or work doing so.
Why would I lose more money than I have to pay by fighting it? Makes no sense and these companies KNOW this!
If they didn't know that, then why aren't they issuing moving violations, which has been the standard for red light runners????? because if it were that serious of a ticket, everyone would fight it and they wouldn't be making so much money!
It's a third party company brah, this isn't rocket science.
Of course their people reviewing the videos(and they are videos, not just multiple photo's. They sent me a video, that I had to slow down and watch multiple times to see a technical offense) are going to be skewed. They're being trained alright. Trained by the third party companies to issue as many tickets as possible.
Even anatram can attest to this and he is pro camera.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #152
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
My study was only on intersections with cameras. People are getting hit at intersections with no cameras, so yeah, the cameras are needed. Do I need to color a picture for you?
yeah, show me a color picture that illustrates what you are trying to explain please.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #153
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,504

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Yeah okay and I'm the one pulling things out of my ?
If you can recognize the fact that you need to stop and actually hit the brakes in less than one second, you are WAY above average.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/niatt...actionTime.htm

I'd say I can do it in under a second, but even so, I was expecting the light to be yellow for three seconds, not less than one. So, I never attempted to stop.
Again, obviously the courts saw this when they let thousands of people off the hook.
The cams will only pop you if the light was red before you enter the intersection. If it was, you were guilty as charged.

A cop OTOH can give you a ticket for running a yellow light.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #154
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER
 
jetcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ShoreAcres
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 12,009

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
.gov :gest ure:

You are right about one thing, you leave your judgement at the door
Your lackluster premise was that the study was flawed because it was funded by a group that profited from the cameras. I clearly demonstrated that was not the case, and you drop your pants and jerk off to the fact that a government run organization funded the study. Keep the personal comments coming. . .they only serve to increase the severity of our interaction when that time comes.
__________________
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #155
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
I shouldn't have to make it to court just because they wrongfully are issuing thousands of tickets and are knowingly doing so. All the people who got together fought this for the same reason and won, so I'm gonna have to say you are wrong here.
I'd rather just pay the 75 dollars than to deal with yet another idiot(the judge) and miss a whole day or work doing so.
Why would I lose more money than I have to pay by fighting it? Makes no sense and these companies KNOW this!
If they didn't know that, then why aren't they issuing moving violations, which has been the standard for red light runners????? because if it were that serious of a ticket, everyone would fight it and they wouldn't be making so much money!
It's a third party company brah, this isn't rocket science.
Of course their people reviewing the videos(and they are videos, not just multiple photo's. They sent me a video, that I had to slow down and watch multiple times to see a technical offense) are going to be skewed. They're being trained alright. Trained by the third party companies to issue as many tickets as possible.
Even anatram can attest to this and he is pro camera.
Do you know who reviewed the camera violations in Houston? Do you know who the reviewers worked for? I know, do you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #156
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
My study was only on intersections with cameras. People are getting hit at intersections with no cameras, so yeah, the cameras are needed. Do I need to color a picture for you?
Study not done by a company profiting from cameras (Virginia DOT). Like I said before, even the most optimistic studies don't predict removing cameras doubles accidents. Other factors at play here in Houston.
Quote:
3. The cameras were associated with an increase in rear-end crashes.
4. The cameras were associated with a decrease in red light running crashes.
5. The cameras were associated with a decrease in injury red light running crashes.
6. The cameras were associated with an increase in total crashes.
7. The association of the cameras with angle crashes differed among jurisdictions,
although a preponderance of test results suggested an increase.
8. The cameras were associated with an increase in the frequency of injury crashes.
http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main.../pdf/07-r2.pdf


You can't make an great safety argument for cameras.

Last edited by MoreyFan; 10-29-2014 at 02:49 PM.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #157
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,504

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
That pick up video was a freak accident.
There is nothing "freak" about that collision. It was a driver running a red light. Pure and simple. Something that lots of drivers, apparently including yourself, like to do. Enough drivers running red lights, sooner or later a bad collision like that happens.


"Freak accident" would be when a ball of frozen falls from a 747 and pummels your car as you're about to run a red light.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #158
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,601

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Your lackluster premise was that the study was flawed because it was funded by a group that profited from the cameras. I clearly demonstrated that was not the case, and you drop your pants and jerk off to the fact that a government run organization funded the study. Keep the personal comments coming. . .they only serve to increase the severity of our interaction when that time comes.
I have no idea why this post made me laugh so hard.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #159
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Do you know who reviewed the camera violations in Houston? Do you know who the reviewers worked for? I know, do you?
Don't know and don't care. I was wrongfully issued a ticket even after review. So was anatram and so were thousands of others.
It's no secret that huse profits are being made off the cameras and it's also no secret that these third party camera companies have been busted multiple times for all kinds of shenanigans.
You know what I hope they do turn them back on and I hope you pro camera guys are the first to get tickets at an intersection where the light is yellow for less than three seconds. O already know which ones to avoid.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #160
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,499

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
There is nothing "freak" about that collision. It was a driver running a red light. Pure and simple. Something that lots of drivers, apparently including yourself, like to do. Enough drivers running red lights, sooner or later a bad collision like that happens.


"Freak accident" would be when a ball of frozen falls from a 747 and pummels your car as you're about to run a red light.
Yep same.goes with caneras issuing bs tickets where the yellow light is less than three seconds. Enough BS tickets and eventually you'll get one too and I can chastize you regarding your ability to negotiate an intersection with a redlight
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy